How to tell if your nose is broke?

Just a quick question:

So I got pretty fucking pounded on Friday and my nose was bleeding all over the place. It was pretty swollen for a bit, but has calmed down since (you can still kind of tell). It still hurts, but I guess that's just because it was only less than two days ago. None the less, I just want to make sure it wasn't broke. I don't want to waste time or money on a doctor's appointment. How can one tell if your nose is broken?

I don't have black eyes (I knew someone who once got black eyes from his nose being broke), and it is not exactly majorly puffy/swollen. Anyone have any experiences with this? I just want to be sure in case of future medical problems. thanks a bunch.

ttt

It depends on how severe the break is. The most obvious sign is if it's crooked or not, but it can still be broke but not crooked. Same goes for the swelling/black eyes as well...you'll see the swelling and black eyes more with a severe break.

From what you described, I would say you probably had some degree of breakage. The only real future problems you might have would be difficulty in breathing. I had a break one time that was real crooked and made it hard to breathe out of one side of my nose, I had to get it straightened out, and trust me, you do not want to do that unless it's absolutely necessary LOL.

You might get better info from the Health and Medical forum, I'm no Dr., just had a couple breaks myself.

I don't have black eyes

very likely not broken.

Tilt your head back and have a friend see if the septum (space between the nostrils) is straight or points sideways.

"Health and Medical Forum"

i never really venture beyond the UG. how do I find this forum?

Click on the "General" forums, it's listed under there.

I can't seem to be able to click on the GENERAL FORUMS link. Is it for Pro members only?

" Tilt your head back and have a friend see if the septum (space between the nostrils) is straight or points sideways."

that's probably not going to do much good because I've had a deviated septum since I was nine years old (when I got hit in the nose with a baseball bat). THanks though.

Swelling can make your nose look crooked even if it is not broken. When the swelling goes down after a few days, it is easier to tell if your nose is really crooked and possibly broken.

What the symptoms?

Signs and symptoms of a broken nose include:

• Nose pain.
  • Swelling of the nose.
  • A crooked or bent appearance.
  • Bruising around the nose or eyes.
  • A runny nose or a nosebleed.
  • A grating sound or feeling when the nose is touched or rubbed.
  • Blocked nasal passages.

http://www.pamf.org/health/healthinfo/index.cfm?page=article&sgml_id=aa49289spec

Concerns About a Broken (fractured) Nose:
·
It's safe to delay the treatment of a mild nasal fracture.
· It's sometimes hard to diagnose a nasal fracture because of swelling (and not all swollen noses have a fracture).
· X-ray films are often not helpful because injuries to the cartilage do not show up. (Most of the nose is cartilage.)  
· Looking at the nose after the swelling is gone (day 5 to 7) is the best way to tell if it is really fractured. Delayed correction also helps the surgeon better see what needs to be fixed.
5. Pain Medication: For pain relief, take acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) every 4-6 hours (adults 650 mg). Do not use aspirin for pain relief as it interferes with your normal clotting and thus can increase the likelihood of nose bleeding.
6. Call Your Doctor If:
· Pain becomes severe
· Shape of the nose has not returned to normal after 5 days
· Signs of infection occur (a yellow discharge, increasing tenderness or fever)

http://www.aurorahealthcare.org/yourhealth/scd-adultcare/getcontent.asp?URLAdultCare=%22NoseInjury.html%22

Injury Definition
Injuries to the inside or outside of the nose. Types of nose injuries include the following:

• Bloody nose without a fracture.
  • Swelling and bruising of the nose without a fracture.
  • Blood clot of the central wall of the nose with risk of cartilage damage and deformed nose.

Thanks momita.
That helps.

http://www.doctorhoffman.com/wwnosefx.htm

your welcome, hope it's not broken......

go see a doctor