How Would Rickson-Garcia Turn Out?

Rickson facts I can tell you:
He is smaller than he appears on TV.
He has more gray hair than he did during his television days.
He is much less musclular than he was several years ago.
He was one of the best guys I have met in teh sport of bjj from Brazil...( not as cool as Loborio, but very calm and serene).
He speaks English well.
He signed autographs for me and gave a very warm convaiance of emotions for my overzealous attempt to tell him how much it meant to me to be sitting beside him.

Garcia facts I can tell you:
He is small in stature.
He is small in musclular size.
He has small hands.
His forehead is bigger than the rest of his body but just barely.
He is polite beyond belief.
He smiles constantly ( wouldn't you if you were that good?)
He is humble to the point of being taken for a chump on the street. ( I would love to see someone try him once, broken armbroken legbroken neck!
He is the best grappler in the world and more entertaining than any fight i have seen in recent history.
chad

"Please tell me some of these new positions and submissions that are constantly being learned. I'm still in the stone ages doing armbars, chokes and triangles."

Its good you're working on the fundamentals but to claim jiu jitsu isn't evolving is downright naive. People are inventing variations on old techniques as well as new moves all this time. Since you don't believe me about his, listen to some of the experts - this is from a blackbelt at Jacare's seminar:

"It was great to see Jacare and Sucuri working together to show exciting techniques and some of the newest variations of the older moves. Jiu-jitsu is constantly evolving and changing and both Jacare and Sucuri put great effort into their training and skills to make sure that they stay on the leading edge and keep up with the "latest and greatest" moves coming from Brazil"

This is from my instructor, Caique, also distinguishes old from new techniques:

"Caique stressed that many jiu-jitsu students today focus on learning new and fancy techniques, and tend to neglect the foundation of techniques that make jiu-jitsu what it is"

My own Garcia tape shows some moves he recently invented, here's from the write up:

"You will also see that Marcelo Garcia has reworked many older moves with new variations, making them dangerous new techniques...This tape contains the very newest and most effective submission from Brazil, many that Garcia himself has developed."

The top guys invent stuff all the time, its part of the beauty of the sport. Go ask your instructor.

HarlanEllison, do you have any thoughts of your own? I cant belive you just used a dvd cover write up to back up your argument. LMFAO. Can you please try to develop a thought on your own and answer El Guapo's question without the use of dvd covers and magazine articles?

"It's to show that the leaders of the sport so readily admit that Rickson is Godlike. They have the greatest insight, not you. Discussing who would in a sport match is pointless. It's not going to happen."

The argument is over. You wont get any proof of Ricksons "Godlike" status. Believe the stories - they're good enough for us, they should be good enough for you.

Rickson will not win in current sport matches, "It's not going to happen."

Moves are like the pop charts they have there time and they are gone, I find it hard to believe that someone like Helio teaching every day for most of the last centuary, has not seen todays new moves in the past.
Remember Helio had been teaching for 15 years at the outbreak of World War 2, That dude is fecking old man.

Rickson by Brazilian bean fart:

Rickson's fundamentals are so rock-solid, that these tournament-style "new" moves would be nullified. Every year, Rickson either goes to Brazil or has friends from Brazil come to the academy to train. He always asks about the "new" trends/moves that are dominating jiu-jitsu. Then, he has these people try the moves on him and he smashes them. Rickson uses nothing fancy in his game. He is fully capable of doing so, and he knows about many of the moves, but chooses not to because of their ineffectiveness against solid fundamentals. Do you guys really think that he hasn't faced someone using Garcia's "X-guard," or Bravo's "Rubberguard" from the numerous top blackbelts that he has trained with over the last 15 years or so? The shit doesn't work against him.

For more proof, look at his son, Kron. Kron just turned 18 and tapped 11 purple belts in the top 2 tournaments in Brazil, and was tapping blackbelts left and right while training for the tournaments. In 2 years or so, Kron will be the best jiu-jitsu competitor in the world, and will not be using anything but the simple and effective techniques his dad is teaching him.

And for those of you that are wondering, just because you see Rickson do a move that seems to look like a move you have seen a hundred times, it does not mean the move is done the exact same way. The reason his techniques are so effective is because he adds so many little details to them that make all the difference. If you are curious, go to his academy and train with his instructors and top students (even if you cannot train with Rickson). If any of them uses one of these fancy new techniques to beat you, I will never post on here again.

What are his reasons for not competing at any level? MMA I can kinda understand but what about jj? Is there simply too much pressure attached now after years of all the legend?