Hugo Duarte: Luta Livre

The prices of old instructional sets fucking crack me up.

Imagine going back in time to the guys that bought these and showing them a glimpse of the torrent/youtube world of the future

2 Likes

LordSeano - The prices of old instructional sets fucking crack me up.

Imagine going back in time to the guys that bought these and showing them a glimpse of the torrent/youtube world of the future

^^ but what is ridiculous is some of these sets (on DVD) like the old Carvalho, etc. are still being sold (does anyone even buy them??) for $100. I would maybe pay $50 for nostalgia but lol at those who are paying big bucks still for that set.

I paid $59.95 each in 1988 dollards=$101( 2015) for the Gracie in action and Gene Lebell tapes : (

I remember reading that Rorion was grossing 50k a month from his tapes/instructionals in 91/92. Those wavered depending on the time from a low of $49.95 to a high of $69.95.

1 Like

I'm thinking about putting out a retro instructional.

Long introductions, minimal details and lots of slow-motion repeats of each of the seven moves..

It will be 28 minlutes and cost $165..

I want to see if the "old-school" instructional market is still there.

1 Like

I know you're kidding, yet i'm strangely compelled to purchase said tape.

de braco -

Luta Livre Spirit 2 : Roberto Leitao.  Stan and Wladek Zbyszko were major influences on the development of luta livre

Training with Leitão one morning, having no idea who he was, is still my all time favorite day of training I've ever had. Just brilliant, and hilarious Phone Post 3.0

The first tape of the infamous self defense set.  I didn't find these still for sale anywhere so uploaded this one to preserve and perpetuate the historical value.

1 Like

skkrocks -
de braco -

Luta Livre Spirit 2 : Roberto Leitao.  Stan and Wladek Zbyszko were major influences on the development of luta livre

Training with Leitão one morning, having no idea who he was, is still my all time favorite day of training I've ever had. Just brilliant, and hilarious Phone Post 3.0

I'd love to hear more about that.

^ Indeed. Do tell, please.

The infamous Fergulcutt and his AFGA series from 1998.  Could not find this set still for purchase anywhere either.  Despite the hilarious Dr Ox incident, Ferg was legit and comported himself well in matches against legit competition such as Gil Castillo and Dave Menne. Oh, to return to those halcyon days of Ferg,nogi,Oxnard doc and sam pai kenpo's thunderous leopard paw strikes. A little interesting aside, Ferg trademarked the name "submission wrestling".

1 Like

^Oh man,  I owned that too! Got it used.

1 Like

I bought the whole set from the tape king on ebay for like $24. They were still in the shrink wrap. He told me he had somewhere in the vincinty of 2000 instructional tapes. It was nuts, i purchased several other obscure sets for peanuts and they were all still in plastic also. I asked him if he ever watched any and he said years ago but it quickly got to a point of being impossible to watch the horde and they just kept piling up. He had what you'd call a compulsion, i reckon. I suffered the same for many years,never to that extent though, but have finally got it under control. .. . .   .  .  .      .

1 Like

Another discontinued set from 1998 when Kerr was beginning his run of NHB and Abu Dhabi domination. It's a shame that the newer guys only know Kerr from the documentary and his less than stellar attempt at a comeback and his legacy is judged a bit unfairly. At the time Kerr was unstoppable and an entire population of pajama rasslers would quake at the mention of the "máquina de esmagamento".

1 Like

another discontinued and unavailable set from 2000/01. These rustled some jimmies.

1 Like

^ Then there was Rick Lucero's "Wrestler Killer" Tape --which is actually a good resource for guys with super short legs.

I remember Lucero from Lapendas first WVC ppv where he fought Chuck Kim,  I vacillated on buying the wrestler killer set for 6 or 7 months, but then the manic episode passed. I've regreted not getting them and haven't ran across them on ebay yet. I think i went with the walt bayless tapes instead.

de braco - 

I remember Lucero from Lapendas first WVC ppv where he fought Chuck Kim,  I vacillated on buying the wrestler killer set for 6 or 7 months, but then the manic episode passed. I've regreted not getting them and haven't ran across them on ebay yet. I think i went with the walt bayless tapes instead.

Walt's tapes were better overall. But Lucero showed a couple cool things from De La Riva --for short guys in particular, as I mentioned.

You sound as bad as me. I was out of my mind at one point getting instructionals. Spent thousands of dollars --which back then was not hard to do.

Like, for instance,  I had ALL of he Joe Moreira tapes (27 tapes?). It was just nuts. A few like the Women's self-defense were just pure filler, but there was some very good fundamental stuff buried deep in those tapes that I never saw anyone else teach, especially at that time. I think his tapes were kind of unfairly trashed. Well most of them. A few were terrible.

Eventually, I went through a process where I watched ALL of my tapes for a final time and wrote down anything I thought was useful, then sold all of them online. I haven't bought one since.

I still pine for the tapes that got away. I would have had the Joe Moreira tapes for sure but one of my nephews was a big fan of Kimo and when his tapes went on a clearance sale of the whole set, 100 bucks, i bought them. Watched one tape where Kimo was the uke and Moreira did 90% of the instruction in a language apparently not of earthly origin, i said that's enough of that. Out of the entire tape I only deciphered the words hippy and snakey. The rest was as someone here once put, "like listening to a swahilli poet on LSD.

shen -
de braco - 

Walt's tapes were better overall. But Lucero showed a couple cool things from De La Riva --for short guys in particular, as I mentioned.

You sound as bad as me. I was out of my mind at one point getting instructionals. Spent thousands of dollars --which back then was not hard to do.

Like, for instance,  I had ALL of he Joe Moreira tapes (27 tapes?). It was just nuts. A few like the Women's self-defense were just pure filler, but there was some very good fundamental stuff buried deep in those tapes that I never saw anyone else teach, especially at that time. I think his tapes were kind of unfairly trashed. Well most of them. A few were terrible.

Eventually, I went through a process where I watched ALL of my tapes for a final time and wrote down anything I thought was useful, then sold all of them online. I haven't bought one since.

I thought Lucero showed some great stuff. I have the entire set dubbed buried deep in boxes. Wasn't too impressed with the Bayless stuff. It was okay but nothing astounding.

I had the Moreira tapes from white to black belt, but not the specialized topics. I own all of them now on DVD. I loved them.  

Snakeey hippiiieee?

Another set long discontinued and unavailable . Bas Ruttens original Rio/Nikko Toshsogu set from 97'. How Lapenda and Toshsogu could take talent like Aerts, Bas, Igor Vovchanchin, Hugo Duarte, Fabio Gurgel, and manage to turn out an below average product never ceased to amaze me.

I added the description to the tape box scan and it looks kinda wonky^