Hugo Duarte: Luta Livre

Just converted and transfered these to a hard drive.  Instructional put out by Rio videos(Lapenda) from 1997/98.

6 Likes

thanks

awesome

1 Like

They're ok. Duarte doesn't speak much english and the narrator doesn't have a real good grasp of what he's seeing. I only have 4 of the tapes, bought back when 4 tapes for a $100 including shipping was a ripping good deal.

1 Like

haha i had those on VHS. never watched them again. Good for memories.

Lol cool stuff. Looks like catch. Anyone know if there's any spots in the states that teach luta livre?

1 Like

^They call it catch.

Marco Ruas tapes are next.

2 Likes

BTW, i'm looking for 2-5 full contact jujitsu, originals,not dubs.I've only got 1 and 6. These tapes haven't been sold in almost 20 years, so i don't think that can be construed as tape trading.

2 Likes

Cool!

I bought that back in the day, myself. --Well, just one actually to see how it was. It was not great. lol.

Tapes were EXPENSIVE back then. Spent so much $$$ on so much garbage.

3 Likes

TakinAllFades -

Lol cool stuff. Looks like catch. Anyone know if there's any spots in the states that teach luta livre?

Definitely catch.here in Norcal there's two luta  livre black belts.Serao in mountain view and cyrillo padhilla in San Mateo

1 Like

shen -

Cool!

I bought that back in the day, myself. --Well, just one actually to see how it was. It was not great. lol.

Tapes were EXPENSIVE back then. Spent so much $$$ on so much garbage.

Even at $25 a tape, i didn't get the rest. I have a few Vovchanchin tapes sold by rio, they make the duarte tapes look like Sperry's vale tudo 1.

Luta Livre Spirit 2 : Roberto Leitao.  Stan and Wladek Zbyszko were major influences on the development of luta livre

de braco - 

BTW, i'm looking for 2-5 full contact jujitsu, originals,not dubs.I've only got 1 and 6. These tapes haven't been sold in almost 20 years, so i don't think that can be construed as tape trading.

Are you talking about the god awful Viele Full Contact Jiu-jitsu tapes? I think I, I mean a friend I used to know, has all of them dubbed. Terrible.

1 Like

How did you convert your old tapes. I have some old software that allows to convert either WMV files, AVI, or Mpeg-4 files. Which should I choose?

I'm burning onto my PC, but want ability to watch on my PC or Ipad. 

1 Like

Ya, those are the ones. I didn't buy the set when it first came out, it was a choice between that and Renzos' original set. In the realm of martial arts instructionals, Pauls tapes weren't that bad though. The bottom of the MA instructional barrel is deep and dark. Also looking for the old shootwrestling USA tapes, they were sold by an outfit in Pinson Alabama.

HotSteppa -

How did you convert your old tapes. I have some old software that allows to convert either WMV files or Mpeg-4 files. Which should I choose?

I have a dvd/vcr recorder so i put them dvd, then just convert it to mp4 using handbrake. I used to have a cord that went to the vcr and plugged into the computer usb port. It didn't do quite as good of a job as burning them to dvd. Handbrake is free and works really well for converting dvd to movie files or vice versa.

de braco - 
HotSteppa -

How did you convert your old tapes. I have some old software that allows to convert either WMV files or Mpeg-4 files. Which should I choose?

I have a dvd/vcr recorder so i put them dvd, then just convert it to mp4 using handbrake. I used to have a cord that went to the vcr and plugged into the computer usb port. It didn't do quite as good of a job as burning them to dvd. Handbrake is free and works really well for converting dvd to movie files or vice versa.

thanks

Ruas Vale Tudo leglock tape from 1996, originally sold by Lapenda and later by panther. Don't believe these are still for sale either.

When panther began distributing the tapes, the price dropped to the panther standard 5 for $100 plus shipping.  : (

1 Like

EKPOGI -
TakinAllFades -

Definitely catch.here in Norcal there's two luta  livre black belts.Serao in mountain view and cyrillo padhilla in San Mateo

VU Trained with both those guys! Leopoldo has a guard from HELL! Dude will teach class while people fight for their life to try and pass.

edit: added the word "try" cause I don't think I've ever seen or heard of anyone passing it. true story

1 Like

Artist conception of frankiscool calling the Ruas 900#

jkd nut scott shields from 97'.