I ask people how much they weight before rolling

I'm not necessarily accusing you, because I don't know your situation and your training history, but I've always found that white and blue and even some egotistical purple belts often blame senior belts for injuries in training.

Any legit Brown Belt has been training at least 5 years, (exceptions here an there) and we know how to train and do it safely.

So if I happen to see a 1 or 2 stripe blue get hurt rolling with a Brown Belt partner, most likely the blue belt is the overzealous one, and doesn't respect the skill difference when the Higher belt matches your intesity.

If I'm rolling with a guy who has been training a year or two, and he is super intense and spastic and is throwing my legs around trying to pass my guard, I can't just be so easy on him because then you're jeopardizing my safety as well as your own.

I often try to match the intensity of my partner, regardless of belt or size. I find this to be most important. Phone Post 3.0

And the reason for that, is to control that partner and make things a little more black and white, versus the Grey areas and transitional phrases between positions. That is where I see most injuries. Very rare to see people really breaking arms or hipping into heel hooks in the gym. Phone Post 3.0

^^truth.

I just laugh at the whole weight excuse.... I'm 135 with the gi. I roll with everyone...everyone. Always have. In class we often form 2 lines facing each other and you just shift right after each roll. I hear someone talk about how they got crushed by someone who outweighs them by 30 lbs and that same person outweighs me by 50...

You just need to think about your goal...Sometimes if they don't pass my guard I feel good. If they pass my guard but can't tap me, I feel good...Sometimes you've just got to feel good if it ends and you feel they've got to respect you coming out of that.

Meatgrinder - 

^^truth.

I just laugh at the whole weight excuse.... I'm 135 with the gi. I roll with everyone...everyone. Always have. In class we often form 2 lines facing each other and you just shift right after each roll. I hear someone talk about how they got crushed by someone who outweighs them by 30 lbs and that same person outweighs me by 50...

You just need to think about your goal...Sometimes if they don't pass my guard I feel good. If they pass my guard but can't tap me, I feel good...Sometimes you've just got to feel good if it ends and you feel they've got to respect you coming out of that.

Solid post VU

never had a wrestler answer that question honestly.. they always qoute their competition weight.. which was usually 5 years ago.. lol

Ive rolled long enough that i should work at the fair guessing peoples weight.. I am rarely off by more than 5 pounds.. 

BTTMike - 
Tomato Can - I just shamelessly duck anyone who looks like they're over 175 these days. As a 150 pound 33 year old who's had a lot of injuries over the last 2 years, it's just not worth it.
And yet you're probably the guy who goes the hardest. Phone Post 3.0

I go as hard as my partner goes and I'm not afraid to tap to lower belts. I am a brown belt and have been training for 13 years. It's not that I blame big guys for being out of control. It's just easy to injure yourself when you're trying to move that much weight around.

When I do go with big guys I play rather conservatively. I try to stay on top and just pass opportunistically.

Most big guys at my gym are perfectly fine partners. Every once in a while a big guy refuses to play guard and tries to bum rush me from the knees, and that will piss me off. But most aren't like that.

I don't ask. I pretty much know what weight bracket people are in by looking at them. A few pounds here or there mean jack shit Phone Post 3.0

"I am guessing you are a whitebelt?"

No.

"If a technique doesn't work in training why would you assume that the problem is how big your training partner is and not that you're doing it wrong?"

Because there are simply some techniques that are harder to utilize against someone substantially bigger, regardless of proper technique.

"What's the point? If you already know he has over 100lbs on you, it's obvious. What's the difference if it's 110 or 130. You're still fucked either way."

Mere curiosity.

Some of you seem to think I've got something against big guys. I don't. In fact I like training with bigger people because I'm not that big myself and it more realistically represents a situation where I might have to use my jiu jitsu.

I also don't care if size is used to submit me or pass my guard or anything else. Again, if my jiu jitsu is good enough, I can neutralize the size difference. If I can't, I need to train harder. That's my problem, not his.

Asking about weight is not intended as a slight, or to prepare an excuse, or anything else negative. For it to be taken that way is the flip side of the ego issue...do you really care if someone thinks you just used size to submit them? Does it matter? No. Let them think that. Yes, a lot of people use it as an excuse. It shouldn't matter, regardless. Roll on.

I would never ask and it pisses me off when people ask me because of what it seems to insinuate

We all have different attributes Phone Post 3.0

When ppl ask me I ask "how heavy did I feel?" Phone Post 3.0

BTTMike - I'm not necessarily accusing you, because I don't know your situation and your training history, but I've always found that white and blue and even some egotistical purple belts often blame senior belts for injuries in training.

Any legit Brown Belt has been training at least 5 years, (exceptions here an there) and we know how to train and do it safely.

So if I happen to see a 1 or 2 stripe blue get hurt rolling with a Brown Belt partner, most likely the blue belt is the overzealous one, and doesn't respect the skill difference when the Higher belt matches your intesity.

If I'm rolling with a guy who has been training a year or two, and he is super intense and spastic and is throwing my legs around trying to pass my guard, I can't just be so easy on him because then you're jeopardizing my safety as well as your own.

I often try to match the intensity of my partner, regardless of belt or size. I find this to be most important. Phone Post 3.0

Well that Brown Belt is a special person. Not all are like that for sure.

Great advice on control. You're right. I was told once it's as much as your fault if you get injured even if your training partner is going ape shit. It means lack of technique in controlling him.

I just can't afford to get injured. I mean why take the risk rolling with a way bigger dude who goes apeshit? I'm no Caio Terra. So yeah. I know my technique's not good enough and this big guy's going ape shit - so might as well not roll with him.

Also, I've trained and competed a lot in Muay Thai and x-trained in boxing. Inquiring on a person's weight is quite common especially during partner play drills. I didn't realize it can be offensive in BJJ.

Siciliano - 
BTTMike - I'm not necessarily accusing you, because I don't know your situation and your training history, but I've always found that white and blue and even some egotistical purple belts often blame senior belts for injuries in training.

Great advice on control. You're right. I was told once it's as much as your fault if you get injured even if your training partner is going ape shit. It means lack of technique in controlling him.

I just can't afford to get injured. I mean why take the risk rolling with a way bigger dude who goes apeshit? I'm no Caio Terra. So yeah. I know my technique's not good enough and this big guy's going ape shit - so might as well not roll with him.

Regarding of belt level, a 240lbs guy has the potential to injure from a variety of positions even if he is skilled and controlled. I've had a sore sternum/ribs from a guy that large from nothing more than side control (and no, he wasn't putting pressure on me).

ozjiujitsu - I don't ask. I pretty much know what weight bracket people are in by looking at them. A few pounds here or there mean jack shit Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0

Soul Gravy - 
Siciliano - 

Regarding of belt level, a 240lbs guy has the potential to injure from a variety of positions even if he is skilled and controlled. I've had a sore sternum/ribs from a guy that large from nothing more than side control (and no, he wasn't putting pressure on me).

Meant to say regardless of belt level*

I'm 160 and my largest student is.. Wait for it... 340 pounds... I had to teach him how to train with others.. Even worse is where he trained before they just let him loose on everyone and he used strength.. Proud to say he can now roll gently with 12 year olds and is quickly approaching his blue belt.. I still roll with him and am still able to control the situation... It's your responsibility as a teacher to keep them and yourself safe. I tell my blue and purple belts all the time that they are responsible for their training partners safety as the higher belt. It creates a great environment ...

I ask for weight, age and most importantly turn on's and turn off's.

I think I'm just going to bring a scale and place it beside the mat. Make people weigh in before we roll. That way there's no misunderstandings or mistakes in reported weight. I shall compile this information into an informative booklet which will be available at the end of month detailing everyone's daily weights for our training sessions. Sure to be a hit.

Josh Mancuso - It's generally a backhanded question. I recommend not doing that. It insinuates that they have poor technique. Phone Post 3.0
This. Phone Post 3.0