I ask people how much they weight before rolling

I have 169.9 stitched on the front and back of all my gis. Phone Post 3.0

I outweigh most guys and don't get offended by this. People saying it implies your not.using technique, using your weight as leverage is technique isnt it? When guys tell me im really strong i tell em no im fat but i make you carry it. Most guys are stronger than me but because im fat and use leverage i can make up for it some. For the guys complaining about heavy guys trying to get top position well if were sparring and yoir a belt level or more above me im going to fight for position. If your my belt level or brand new im going to take guard. I love it when giys are bigger than me, then i know what techniques im actially doing right. i was scissor sweeping without my opponents weight over me enough forever, and it worked because guys were smaller, when a rolled with a behemoth white belt i figured out what i was doinh wrong and adjusted, niw it works against him.

I was taught that the 3 biggest lies guys tell in BJJ are how much they weigh, how long they have been training and they want to go light.

Bruce Hoyer asks me how much I weigh every time he helicopter armbars me.

BTTMike - I'm not necessarily accusing you, because I don't know your situation and your training history, but I've always found that white and blue and even some egotistical purple belts often blame senior belts for injuries in training.

Any legit Brown Belt has been training at least 5 years, (exceptions here an there) and we know how to train and do it safely.

So if I happen to see a 1 or 2 stripe blue get hurt rolling with a Brown Belt partner, most likely the blue belt is the overzealous one, and doesn't respect the skill difference when the Higher belt matches your intesity.

If I'm rolling with a guy who has been training a year or two, and he is super intense and spastic and is throwing my legs around trying to pass my guard, I can't just be so easy on him because then you're jeopardizing my safety as well as your own.

I often try to match the intensity of my partner, regardless of belt or size. I find this to be most important. Phone Post 3.0

fren, you are so correct.

also weight, strength, speed differences are not decisive factors in their own light in bjj. those attributes combined with a similar skill to one's own make the difference. in other words: stop asking and start getting better not just than yourself, but better than everyone else with whom you train.

big guys keep your technique honest.

I'm bigger. I always add weight if asked. makes them feel better.

I dont really ask but I def do have a different strategy for the big boys.

BJJ the only sport where 200lbs makes you a "big guy" Phone Post 3.0

Bunch of crybabies need to eat a sammich Phone Post 3.0

While your intent may be good, from experience most people who talk about weight is basically looking for an excuse of why they didn't "win" the roll.

Isn't worrying that someone is looking for an excuse why they didn't "win" while rolling just another form of ego?

Asking someone how much they weight looks to me like a way to convince yourself to be better than your training partner. I heard guys say " me and this other guy fought to a draw and he out weights me by 15 pounds, if his technique were as good as mine he would of beat me. Therefore I have to be more technical." The three big things people look for in bjj to help accept losing are your weight, the color of your belt and how long you've been training.