I’ll never understand when fighters...

inf0 - 

Usman dominated a lot of sore vagina around here.

I’m just waiting for Usman to complain about not making big $$. Dominant performance? Sure. One that’s going to make you money? LOL.

shawarma - 

It was a horrendous fight to watch and whilst wrestling is the most effective base in MMA it's also the best base for a boring fight. Whilst wrestling purists may enjoy the GSP decision run or the grappling nuances they are best in a wrestling competition. There is zero fun in watching a fight where the intention is to hold position and ride the clock. 

In a fight sport you have to blame the org or the referees. They should've been separated or docked points or something. There should be no scenario where a fight has an extended grappling exchange where no damage is being done and the referee does not intervene. 

Sometimes a finish happens after an extended period of snoozing but it isn't worth it. A fight should be a fight where an attempt to hurt and finish is paramount. Any attempt to run out the clock to ride a decision should be totally stamped out by the ref and the rules. 

I love GSP fights–the Shields fight notwithstanding. I loved watching Fitch and Askren work, because they were always working.

Usman is boring in a way that is only comparable with Shields. He gets position and he holds it.

wiggum -
shawarma - 

It was a horrendous fight to watch and whilst wrestling is the most effective base in MMA it's also the best base for a boring fight. Whilst wrestling purists may enjoy the GSP decision run or the grappling nuances they are best in a wrestling competition. There is zero fun in watching a fight where the intention is to hold position and ride the clock. 

In a fight sport you have to blame the org or the referees. They should've been separated or docked points or something. There should be no scenario where a fight has an extended grappling exchange where no damage is being done and the referee does not intervene. 

Sometimes a finish happens after an extended period of snoozing but it isn't worth it. A fight should be a fight where an attempt to hurt and finish is paramount. Any attempt to run out the clock to ride a decision should be totally stamped out by the ref and the rules. 

I love GSP fights–the Shields fight notwithstanding. I loved watching Fitch and Askren work, because they were always working.

Usman is boring in a way that is only comparable with Shields. He gets position and he holds it.

For me GSP and Fitch were equally unwatchable. Have never ever seen their decisions more than once. 

A wrestler like Cornier for example is infinitely more watchable than GSP. 

It’s a fight not a wrestling or BJJ match. Those sports exist. As mentioned I blame the setup not the fighters. I’d do the exact same thing in their position. It’s just as a fan you want to know that the sport of fighting isn’t designed to be exploited by wrestling to a decision. It is the sole reason why the sport will never excel. 

Imagine Forrest Vs Bonnar was a GSP or Fitch special? Where would the sport be?

1 Like
shawarma -
wiggum -
shawarma - 

For me GSP and Fitch were equally unwatchable. Have never ever seen their decisions more than once. 

It’s a fight not a wrestling or BJJ match. Those sports exist. As mentioned I blame the setup not the fighters. I’d do the exact same thing in their position. It’s just as a fan you want to know that the sport of fighting isn’t designed to be exploited by wrestling to a decision. It is the sole reason why the sport will never excel. 

What I hear you saying is that you prefer wrestlers who convert to strikers.

You are right it is a fight. And in a fight without standup rules, referees instructing fighters on top to work, and short rounds the superior ground fighter would takedown and outgrapple their opponent and wear the opponent out while they try to escape or submit them for exposing theirself while trying to escape.

The sport is not exploited by groundfighters. The sport has rules to prevent ground fighters from dominating so much.

Calhoon -
shawarma -
wiggum -
shawarma - 

You are right it is a fight. And in a fight without standup rules, referees instructing fighters on top to work, and short rounds the superior ground fighter would takedown and outgrapple their opponent and wear the opponent out while they try to escape or submit them for exposing theirself while trying to escape.

The sport is not exploited by groundfighters. The sport has rules to prevent ground fighters from dominating so much.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but obviously a wrestler that strikes is more fun to watch than a wrestler who holds. 

If the rules favour less dominant wrestling then it's not a bad thing and they should double down on it. It's not a wrestling contest. 

Am I saying ban wrestling? Of course not but if you are holding someone and not inflicting pain then the rules should stop the exchange and reset. If you get a takedown and turn the fighter below you into pulp or are in the middle of a choke attempt then keep it going. 

Same for BJJ fighters that flop to their back or strikers that retreat they should be penalised for it and the action should always be ongoing. 

Whilst wrestling fans and to some extent BJJ fans would love for their favourite fighter to work for 4 minutes on getting to half guard I'm sure the majority of MMA fans would sacrifice the 3 percent chance of an end product and simply want the ref to reset so we can see some fighting. 

No use grapple fans getting defensive over it. The only objective is damage from strikes or subs to end the fight and grappling that isn't resulting in strikes/subs relatively quickly in the round should be reset by referees and ignored by judges. It would hopefully shift fight culture back to fighting rather than decisions. 

shawarma -
Calhoon -
shawarma -
wiggum -
shawarma - 

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but obviously a wrestler that strikes is more fun to watch than a wrestler who holds. 

If the rules favour less dominant wrestling then it's not a bad thing and they should double down on it. It's not a wrestling contest. 

Am I saying ban wrestling? Of course not but if you are holding someone and not inflicting pain then the rules should stop the exchange and reset. If you get a takedown and turn the fighter below you into pulp or are in the middle of a choke attempt then keep it going. 

Same for BJJ fighters that flop to their back or strikers that retreat they should be penalised for it and the action should always be ongoing. 

Whilst wrestling fans and to some extent BJJ fans would love for their favourite fighter to work for 4 minutes on getting to half guard I'm sure the majority of MMA fans would sacrifice the 3 percent chance of an end product and simply want the ref to reset so we can see some fighting. 

No use grapple fans getting defensive over it. The only objective is damage from strikes or subs to end the fight and grappling that isn't resulting in strikes/subs relatively quickly in the round should be reset by referees and ignored by judges. It would hopefully shift fight culture back to fighting rather than decisions. 

I wasn't being sarcastic. I do think that positioning is a very important part of a fight and positioning moves you into position where you can attack them and they cant attack you. Good control can force them to make mistakes allowing for submissions. Sorry for your impatience but these things can take time sometimes but are fun to watch imo.

I get that the majority of fans find it boring but if the rules are going to cater to the fans then why not just tie the two fighters lead legs together so they cant move in and out of the pocket and must just stand there and slug it out? No need to answer, that was me being sarcastic.