I may not be famous

I know I should let this whole thing ride slowly off into the sunset...

I used to really enjoy all this drama. Even created a lot of it on another forum. I think I referred to it as "open debate and discourse" or something to that effect.

Then a really good friend asked me if I thought Badminton players went on fourms and argued about their best strategies. That sort of woke me up and made me realize how silly it all is.

So I started posting only about technique. But that wasn't good enough for some people because I wasn't a black belt or I was posting about someone's "game" instead of BJJ as a whole system or whatever. The whole thing got old to me. I spend less time on forums these days and I have to tell you I have been much more positive about BJJ because of that.

I really only post here for one reason now. I have promoted Marcelo seminars here and I don't think it is right to market something and not try and add some value. Guess it is time to just buy ads here.

But here we are.

Wutang said:
"Why can't a purple belt present a seminar (free or otherwise)?"

Same reason a blue belt shouldn't be making instructionals(i.e. Egan Inoue's set he made a blue belt)-- it's irresponsible. In a few months Mr. Purple belts opinion will change about things, the longer he trains the more it changes. There are a lot of things he's not not seeing right now just due to experience. "

When I first began training in BJJ my instructor was a purple belt. He did not train with any of the local black belts, though he had started out there. He trained with a Brown Belt who lived on the other side of the country. The brown belt came to town once a year for seminars as well as travel around the world doing seminars.

My instructor, the purple belt, gave 3 hour seminars every few months on specific subjects. Had pretty good participation. Both of those guys are black belts now and have been pretty successful with their own gyms, with instructionals, and with their association.

My instructor found something he liked when he began training with the brown belt. The guys who drove across the state found something they liked when they started training with him instead of one of the black belts over here.

For various reasons I have moved on but I will never say that they have not helped BJJ as a whole for many people in their gyms, in the U.S. and in other parts of the world. If they worried about statements like the above that might not be the case.

Here is an em from a purple belt that went to Matt's seminar. A guy who has trained 5 years:

"I had yet to attend a seminar that provided handouts and had a formal agenda and here we attended a free one that had both. Matt did an outstanding job teaching us moves that will certainly raise our game to the next level. Attending the seminar has proven to me that you do not need to have a black belt to teach, just a passion and a great understand of that which you teach. Thanks to Mike, Leo and John for having Matt come down and special thanks to Matt and Kelly for being there early and giving an awesome seminar."

That pretty much sums up how I feel. In the end Wutang is entitled to his opinion, Aesopian is entitled to promote himself if he wants, I am entitled to have anyone I want in the gym to teach or do seminars or just roll with me...or maybe even have a lively game of badminton

I don't have time to read this whole thread but me and Indrek did a free instructional tape on half guard basics when he was a fresh bluebelt and I was still a whitebelt.

People have said they have benefitted from that and the instructional was well put-together. And that has come even from blackbelts. Noone ever has said that it sucked or caused anyone any harm...

Also I'd rather worry about how SHITTY seminars I've seen/heard put out by top-notch BB instructors (despite being great guys and competitors)

"I'm pretty sure I gave the attendees cancer."

The only real downside of attending a purple belt seminar is the carcinogens.

Hey Leo-- I asked Matt to talk to you about you and your people maybe comining up to our tournament on the 15th of September.  Then I figured I'd just ask you here.  Is that a possibility?

Raspado (the infamous)

I have no doubt Matt's instruction was good.

I think what irritates people is that he's been giving out authoritative grappling advice since his like week 3 in BJJ what 3 years ago. Some people here have 5-10 years of BJJ behind them and they would not feel comfortable with so much aura of online awesomeness. I think it's a personality thing.

Uh--Matt didn't really start giving advice until about a year ago.

So what we are really saying in this thread is that traditional BJJ black belts - what the heck, let's call a spade a spade - BRAZILIANS - either have Neanderthalian communication skills or absolutely no 'effin work ethic, and therefore an organized computer programmer can actually outshine most of them in terms of basic instructional capability?

I can get behind that.

But, seriously, where black belts excel is providing a higher level of skill to feel/mimic. I've seen a purple, brown, and black belt all demo the same move, and the black belt was much more adept. That helps "sell" the move to me, and gives me a better level of skill to aspire to.

Of course the corollary to that, is that black belts make things look so easy sometimes, and sometimes forget to explain the "details" that are so ingrained in them, sometimes even THEY aren't conscious of what they are doing in terms of minor adjustments to make a move work.

Don't even get me started on BJ Penn. He was 'effin mystical with his level of skill - he called what he did "advanced basics," but at least he was analytical and articulate enough to start cluing us in on the minor things that made a difference.

Aesop definitely has an internet persona / aura.

That being said, I'm a Brown with 8yrs in this game and I still enjoy checking out his techs to see if there is anything new that I might not already have in my game.

"I forgot Ken (Primola) shot that open guard instructional as a Purple Belt, and that was a VERY well put together DVD. Didn't hear any gripes about that."

Ken Primola won the Masters Mundials at Purple. Ryan Hall has been on a tourney tear for a LONG time and beaten some high level players.

Not sure of Aesop's tourney record, maybe that could be some of the issue. I think it's safe to say guys that aren't in FL around where he trains, especially in CA where we have a TON of BB's are going to question him if they haven't been seeing his name in a ton of tourney wins...

I think Aesop's intentions are great and I will continue to leech his "free" techs on the internet but I can also see where Wutang might have questions.

But Aesop - keep doing your thing, I like learning from anyone ;)

I think this sums up the real issue: "Some people here have 5-10 years of BJJ behind them and they would not feel comfortable with so much aura of online awesomeness. I think it's a personality thing. "

I think Aesopian is a great guy who is often taken badly because he comes off as an authority while he is still just a student like the rest of us. Maybe it's all tongue-in-cheek, and maybe some of it is ego, but his posts do have a touch of arrogance that is particularly annoying for those who live in areas where purple and brown belts are a dime a dozen.

Wu and Mad Tiger are awesome guys and great competitors who have really paid their dues in the sport next to some of the best in the world. Their perspective is different from most of the guys who dont have such regular access to top level guys, so I can see why there is a difference in opinion.

Ahh...we all love jiujitsu. That's enough for me. No one here is a Simco.

I wouldn't say his posts have a touch of arrogance--maybe confidence is a better word.  He's confident in what he says because he so thoroughly researches it.  But-- I can see how someone might mis-interpret.  He's also quite sardonic in his humor- that may lend towards the appearance of arrogance, when infact it just means he's intelligent.

I can assure you Matt is not the least bit arrogant.  I train with him probably 2-3 times a week and arrogance just doesn't come off from him.

I agree it is probably just the perception. I know it sounds weird, but since there are so many higher belts and tough competitors here in L.A., any kind of perceived arrogance from anyone is immediately questioned.

LOL@Belts and the Drama that comes with them.

If this was a beltless Sport, would there be this Drama? Boxing? Kickboxing? Wrestling?

I don't think that's necessarily weird Andre, however it does show a little bit of narrow-mindedness out on the West coast.  Excluding you! : )

"If this was a beltless Sport, would there be this Drama? Boxing? Kickboxing? Wrestling?"

Yes - years in and competition experience would be the standard. I boxed and wrestled and a ton of drama revolved around years in, who they trained under and competition experience. Don't try and pigeonhole BJJ with drama when I know firsthand of the other sports ills.

Belts just provide a gauge of someones skill level - usually the years in BJJ and competition experience come with the belts.

Sure if I had no life and wanted to get some quik gratification and pretend to be famous i'd give out free shit too.

But I dont im no dork trying to make my self feel good by copying and pasting other peopls moves that other people perfected and made work.

In fact I learned alot from this kid... alot about bjj dorks and the kooks that follow them.

I'll let all of you in on the Big Secret: the whole "awesome" thing is a gimmick. There, I said it. The jig is up.

I once talked to a guy on a forum and got him to train at my gym. Afterwards I asked him what he thought. He said, "I expected you to be a lot louder in person." Thought that was funny.

I've been online for a long time, almost half my life now, as sad as that is. I don't take the internet very seriously since I'd have shot myself in the face by now if I did. So I like to bullshit and amuse myself. And I find calling myself "awesome" funny. People don't always get that. They also miss how I'm one of the first to parody myself.

Others have their own thing. Wutang takes special pride in being an asshole. mad tiger likes to be snarky and posting one-liners. shen is shen.

In fact, one of the guys who attended myself seminar has threatened to beat up and/or shoot one of my friends before. He even put up a $1000 reward for his street address. All just because he didn't like something he said on the internet. But this same guy was great in person and we got along fine. He filmed the seminar and is sending me the footage, so he's A-OK in my book.

It is the internet after all.

I didn't want to be the one to bring it up, since I try not to be paranoid about a West Coast Illuminati conspiracy. "West Coast vs East Coast" is so 2002.

But like others have said, maybe this is a California thing. I don't know that scene. I don't have a sea of black belts and regular large tournaments and a gym at every corner. I'm happy to have my instructor and a lot of good friends online. Maybe that's part of the rub. Culture clash.

That's just more drama though. So I don't really care about it.

If anyone seriously has a problem with me, I'm not hard to reach. I'll talk to anyone, and I have yet to speak one-on-one with someone and not at least end on good terms. You've at least got to admit that I'm open to criticism.

mad tiger,

Special request. Can you say what moves in particular I ripped off? Thanks.

Mad Tiger, wow.  You are just a tool aren't you?  You guys have fun out there in Cali, us backwater Florida boys are doing just fine down here.  But hey, thanks for your input.

"Don't try and pigeonhole BJJ with drama when I know firsthand of the other sports ills."

This Type of bickering doesn't happen in Boxing and Wrestling. I've been doing both since 1985 and never seen it. Add Belts to the Mix and People start bickering. Just calling it how I see it.

I NEVER said or insinuated that other Sports are free of their own Issues. They have their Issues as well, it just seems the Belt Thing is petty.

I have been to a TON of Boxing Gyms and Wrestling Clubs. No Belts. I have learned ridiculous Amounts of Stuff from walking in and just watching and training with Guys NONE of which were Coaches.

Guys with even just a few Months Experience have something to teach...the Way they Jab....Counter, Step, etc.

But with Belts, it's not about what you can do, it's about what Color your Belt is.

The Proof is in the Testemonials Aesopian has recieved. Does anyone need anymore than that?