I want to spar but I have one eye

I am 38 and have done BJJ for 12 years. I have been training kickboxing for about 6 months and am loving it. There is a technical sparring class every Wednesday at my gym. I have watched the class, and I want to do it, badly. My issue is that I have one eye. This brings up two issues. One is that I cannot take damage to my good eye as I would then be blind. The other is that I cannot take damage to my prosthetic eye. I can take the prosthetic out, but I am not sure how the implant would hold up.

The obvious thought, I would think, is that this is ridiculous. It isn’t worth it. Why risk it. Dude, find something else to do, etc. At the same time, maybe I am wrong? Maybe there is some headgear out there that offers a super high level of protection? Maybe I am being a vagina?

The class is a “technical” sparring class. The hard sparring goes on during pro classes in daytime and in the boxing ring all the time, but this class is supposed to be more about practicing and not beating the shit out of each other. At the same time, I am certain that there are some people who go super hard anyway and I am sure that a punch or kick landing harder than anticipated is not rare.

So, I have been contemplating this for some time. I want it so bad, I just feel like I need to do some form of sparring to get to that next level, but having one eye, I would likely be pretty dumb to try it. Also, one of the kickboxing students I pair with all the time, a kid, asked me if I would do the tech sparring class with him for the first time and I would love to do it, both for him and me.

Man, I am torn. Really venting because as much as I want to spar, I just don’t think I can. I will never be a fighter, this is all recreational stuff, but it looks like so much fun.

Thoughts?

Maybe just light sparring or ball punches only.

1 Like

First, sorry for your injury.

2nd, No.

3rd, only spar with someone you trust, perhaps your coach who is very aware of your injury and be aware that you will never be able to do full on sparring.

3 Likes

Do it. Just don’t spaz out because your opponent will meet your energy. Go out there and let your partner know you’re just trying to play a friendly game of touch butt and don’t get carried away. Communicate during sparring if you or him land something harder than intended or if you feel it’s getting carried away.

1 Like

This right here. Communication is important.

I have a prosthetic lens and ring in my eye. The iris is permanently fixed and I have about 20/250 in that eye.

I wouldn’t do any form of striking at all. Accidents happen and we generally don’t plan on them so it’s not worth losing the ability to function as a human being just for an extra class.

If you just simply have to, then find a pro to do your sparring with for the same reason that someone with a bad shoulder/knee/hip/left testicle would only roll with a black belt.

2 Likes

I guess second question: I know there are debates about whether headgear is a good or bad thing. In my scenario, assuming headgear is the right choice, can anyone recommend headgear with good eye protection? Honestly I am more worried about protecting the bad eye, bad eye socket, and skull/area around the bad eye. So, something rigid that will absorb a blow to that area. Not sure where to start.

I want to be a drummer but I only have one arm.

1 Like

def leppard GIF

1 Like

Some inspiration

1 Like

I have the same exact thing.

1 Like

If you are not hard sparring and take appropriate safety measures I can’t see why it would be so dangerous.

I mean… with experienced people, you dont want a noob coming in there with haymakers to your eye ball and shit.

Technical sparring IMHO is kind of like flowing in BJJ you arent trying to rip shit off or hurt people you are like practicing your distance, footwork, combos, you know this maaan.

You got this. Live your live bro.

Maybe it is different in other gyms but light sparring to me meant dont leave marks.

2 Likes

I love sparring and the thought of me never punching someone again is literally painful. However, in your position, I might be thinking twice especially as a newcomer to striking. It’d be one thing if you were seasoned, sparring other seasoned dudes but spazzes are real and really do cause injury. If you can mitigate that by working with seasoned, controlled guys you trust then maybe. Ultimately, it is all up to you.

I will say this. The only way to really get good at defense is to put yourself in the fire and you will get hit. My $0.02. God speed, brother.

1 Like

Get the winning headgear with the bar. FG-5000. Don’t fuck around if you’re going to do it. Get the best. I have this one and it has the best visibility of all the bar headgears I’ve used.

2 Likes

btw why dont you just get like a cyborg laser eye like a real man
Warner Bros Fight GIF by Mortal Kombat Movie

1 Like

I was looking at that style. How much would these differ from WInning? I am not against buying the best, but $500 is a bit of an investment, and I wonder how much the name comes into play with a brand like Winning.

2 Likes

Totally understandable but Winning, while expensive, is worth it and noticeable the minute you pick it up. The reason I say don’t fuck around is your condition. If you splurge anywhere it should probably be head and face protection.

Winning is lighter and fits better than any other one, imo. I don’t have experience with the Venom headgear but here is my opinion on the other two:

Reyes - Very legit and durable. Visibility is good but it is very heavy and, for me, did not stay secured on my head. Despite the bar, I still had eye scrapes with this one.

Rival - I like their gloves and open face headgear. This one was not too heavy but visibility sucked and would not stay put on my head. No eye scrapes that I can remember with this one.

The headgear moving can be mitigated to a point by a bandana or something similar.

1 Like

Just tell the other guy “not in the face, sweetheart”. He’ll know what you mean.

Can you work the clinch, work knees, sweeps and elbows? Fighters have made their careers off great clinch. I suppose some wouldn’t call that sparring though. If someone told me I couldn’t strike to the head, I would have been pretty pissed when I was 20, but post-40 with an appreciation for the other skills, I’d be fine with it.

What’s your coach think about it?

Don’t spar with newcomers and strangers

Not serious and serious at the same time: have you considered something like TKD? There’s a lot of shit there to focus on, plus you could still have some of the intensity of sparring. Head contact is rare with those vaginas. Lots of great shit to work on, though… timing, position, balance, foot work, playing your opponent. Plus if you tell them you have a kickboxing background they’ll cream their little uniforms.