I wish I could get my filters removed.

The more you spend time on this earth, the more your mind filters what you see and hear through past experience and expectation. This distorts and colors what you experience and is not true reality.

I had been noticing more and more over the last few years that I've come to inaccurate conclusions with everyday things, and I figured I must be losing my mind, my brain has build up too much plaque, or I've started early dementia.

But a couple of things have made clear to me what is actually going on:

First, my 3 year old, he blows my mind sometimes. His brain, eyes, and ears have NO predetermined expectations. Therefore, he can walk into his room which will have 600 toys piled up almost to the ceiling against the walls. When he's out of the room you can put something like a small blue ball somewhere on the pile of random chaos along the wall, and the very MOMENT he walks into the room it will catch his eye and he will say, "A BLUE BALL!"

I figured the little bastard is a genius and have already made plans for him to be my spotter in the family sniper crew later. But then I realized he's not a genius, he just sees and hears everything with ZERO expectation or filter. EVERYTHING is absolutely objective and fresh to him.

What made me put these events together was talking to my doctor and setting up some future appointments. My primary doc told me he's going to set up an MRI appointment first, bypassing the need to see the orthopedist first, then there will be an orthopedist appointment after the MRI. This will save me time and money.

I leave and wait for a day or two for Kaiser to call with my MRI appointment. Sure enough a chick calls and sets up an appointment at Moanalua for me on Monday (where the doc said they have their MRI machines). A day or two goes by when it hits me that I don't know for sure whether she said this appointment was for an MRI or the orthopedist. My MIND was waiting for an MRI appointment so it filled in the gaps and told me this was an MRI appointment. I seriously could not remember if she had ever said MRI or if it was my expectation.

To make a long story short, I just fund out it is not for the MRI, and that my filtering brain has failed me once again.

Oh ye, what does the world look like through pure, bright, and objective eyes! I wish I could remember.

Time to travel friend....you see too much of the same shit everyday...change location and perspective. or you need to put the band back together!

Well this would explain a lot.

personally I fell we hear and see what we want to anyway. Your mind fills gaps with things it wants or is familiar with.

Can you imagine what Jnaks gaps are filled with? Or Fnunderful for that matter. Scary shit.

Time to travel friend....you see too much of the same shit everyday...change location and perspective. or you need to put the band back together!

I could change my name and move to Iceland and start a new random life. With random women. To stimulate my objectivity, of course.

Well this would explain a lot.

personally I fell we hear and see what we want to anyway. Your mind fills gaps with things it wants or is familiar with.

Can you imagine what Jnaks gaps are filled with? Or Fnunderful for that matter. Scary shit.

Yes, gap-filling with what you want is another big offender. Fuck.

Jnaks and fnunderful's gaps are filled with German and Japanese scat pron featuring electric eels.

my filter is broken.

i want to kill pretty everyone.

i think a filter is necessary.

I was having these thoughts recently too. I'm now second guessing my perception of everyday occurrences. What I was once was so certain about, I no longer trust.

Like you, I have young children and see how they react to the world around them, and then I see myself reacting to the same world; sometimes their perspective makes me ashamed at my knee jerk-filtered bias. This thought process also trickles down into my professional life of which I start analyzing my mental and verbal responses to various situations. It's very stressful and mentally exhausting.

I sometimes rationalize this by telling myself that it's because I'm getting older/wiser, but then it returns to my perspective vs my children's fresh outlook and I know I'm lying to myself, again. Like fnunderful said, I know if I could just travel and get out of my life for a bit I could step back and adjust the filters somewhat. But with young kids and work, it's not going to happen right now.

I hope to have some kind of break through, or at least some degree of acceptance soon. If not, I suppose I'll keep on analyzing my reactions to various situations to try and break my "normal" mental routine.

it a buffer reaching threshold. you need a reset. for me its a hunt.....that's why I like to eyeball a topo map, grab my compass and roam with my rifle. its not about a kill, its about changing the data flowing in and emptying the buffer of SHIT.

We do things like train or shoot that helps prevent buffer overload and mental breakdown (not enough for fctv???) but you need something a little longer in duration. I really liked bow hunting because it was like 4-5days duration and your brain and body really needs to reset into a cpletely different mode......gnome say in?

FCTV808 - 

my filter is broken.

When I first read this, I saw it as, "I want to kill pretty much everyone".

Gap filling even on a thread about gap filling. I fail.

Sgt. Slaphead - it a buffer reaching threshold. you need a reset. for me its a hunt.....that's why I like to eyeball a topo map, grab my compass and roam with my rifle. its not about a kill, its about changing the data flowing in and emptying the buffer of SHIT.

We do things like train or shoot that helps prevent buffer overload and mental breakdown (not enough for fctv???) but you need something a little longer in duration. I really liked bow hunting because it was like 4-5days duration and your brain and body really needs to reset into a cpletely different mode......gnome say in?

I will have to start doing this regularly one of these years when I can start affording the time away. Though I haven't hunted since I was very young, I feel it's in my DNA. When I'm walking down the street or driving a car, it's like through, "hunter-vision". I must have been a predator animal in my last life. I see hidden things others don't see.

Of course this of no help to me in daily life or setting doctor's appointments.

Moke - 
Sgt. Slaphead - it a buffer reaching threshold. you need a reset. for me its a hunt.....that's why I like to eyeball a topo map, grab my compass and roam with my rifle. its not about a kill, its about changing the data flowing in and emptying the buffer of SHIT.

I will have to start doing this regularly one of these years when I can start affording the time away. Though I haven't hunted since I was very young, I feel it's in my DNA. When I'm walking down the street or driving a car, it's like through, "hunter-vision". I must have been a predator animal in my last life. I see hidden things others don't see.

I knows your pain.......indeed.

Moke - 
FCTV808 - 

my filter is broken.

freudian slipper?

btw, if you're into bow hunting and 4-5 day hunting trips, you NEED to listen to this Rogan podcast with Cameron Hanes.

Skip the first ten minutes as it's mostly shout out to Rogan's sponsors.

This dude is HARD CORE and awesome.

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/cameron-hanes

FCTV808 - 
Moke - 
FCTV808 - 

my filter is broken.

freudian slipper?

Or hater of teh women's and lady boys.

Sgt. Slaphead - 
Moke - 

I look for hidden shooters in windows and on roof tops...

Sgt. Slaphead - 
Moke - 

Mother fucker your reset is playing hair metal while thousands of topless stripper types squeeze their boobs while you wink at Em for the backstage pass.  Damnit! Relive it for the rest of us for the love of all that's holy!

I will babysit for the right to watch e backstage shenanigans.

I hope to have some kind of break through, or at least some degree of acceptance soon. If not, I suppose I'll keep on analyzing my reactions to various situations to try and break my "normal" mental routine.

I had thought about that too. Unfortunately I concluded that it's impossible, because filtering happens in real-time, as events unfold...in fact it happens even before they unfold...the filter is sitting there pre-loaded, waiting to envelope whatever happens next, as it happens. So you cannot hope to intercept it.

The best you can hope to do is to review events at the end of each day and see if they need any corrections.

funny trueism...i started talking to my boss like i would a child and he thinks i've been much more approachable...the problem is you expect things to make sense and they don't because the world is fucked. Mother Russia save us!!!

fnunderful - 
Sgt. Slaphead - 
Moke - 

I look for hidden shooters in windows and on roof tops...

LOL@ rooftops and windows.........FUCKING AMATEUR HOUR!

don't laugh at me!!! sometimes i see tits!

fnunderful - funny trueism...i started talking to my boss like i would a child and he thinks i've been much more approachable...the problem is you expect things to make sense and they don't because the world is fucked. Mother Russia save us!!!

lol!

I may use this on the woman.