if gsp retires is it dishonorable?

Kings21 - 
BshMstr - 
Kings21 - To leave on your own terms is the best anyone can ask for. If GSP wants to retire after his long and brilliant career then he should be able to and fuck anyone else if they have a problem with it. He doesnt owe anyone shit. So Hendricks wont be able to get the belt from GSP (even though most thought he won) but thats tough shit. If Hendricks ends up being a dominant champ and is in the same situation GSP is in at the end of his own career I bet he'd be less inclined to give a shit whether or not other people think he should have another fight and do all of those weeks of grueling fight prep and media tours.

do you really think he's leaving on his terms, though? most people thought he lost, and now he may or may not be leaving.... he didn't talk about it before this fight. the problem is, if Johnny destroys everybody else, he's always gonna have this "asterisk."

honestly, if he would've said that he's retired, and handed the belt to Hendricks, i would have no complaints... but as it is now, it looks like he's retiring because he knows he can't beat Hendricks, and got lucky with a decision this time.

it's hard to be critical of him retiring, though... if he thinks he's done, then he's done. he's put on great shows, and dominated a tough division. i personally hate to see a guy with his reputation and record leave with such a controversial final fight, tho....

Well I wouldnt say it's his ideal scenario but by leaving on his own terms I just meant that he'd be choosing to walk away when he wanted to and not being sucked into another fight because other people are bitching and moaning about a bad decision. No doubt he would have rather KO'd Hendricks and left no doubt about him still being the best though. However I still think its better than going out after a string of KO losses.

I just think that if GSP does choose to retire then Hendricks should take it like an adult and acknowledge GSP for his accomplishments and realize that GSP has been at this game for a long time and has done a lot and really deserves to leave when he wants to leave.

GSP didnt talk about retiring before the fight but there were quite a few rumors about him saying that night that he'd be retiring and even leading up to the Condit and Diaz fights there were murmurs of him hanging them up.

It'd suck to see him leave on such a controversial fight but in the end it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks. People already talk shit on him cause he doesnt finish his fights. Ignoring the rest of his career and focusing on his last controversial fight is just another thing to bitch about.

fair enough.

No Phone Post 3.0

BshMstr - 
gokudamus - 

i dont think he necessarily "owes" anyone anything, but retiring right after a fight most people thought he lost makes it look like he is taking a "cheap" route to retire on top...

if he wanted to retire, he probably should have announced it before the fight, not after..

and my bet is that he does retire...holding a press conference to proclaim nothing has changed is a bit much

i'm not gonna lie, when he got the BS decision and then started talking about retiring, i got pretty mad...

i suppose it's because i know that he got beat (and Dana agreed and Fightmetric agreed, etc etc), and Hendricks would never get another shot at GSP's title...

i agree that him stating this was his last fight would be best, prior to the fight. i've been a fan of his for years, and have paid for many PPV's because of him...

i think GSP has a legitimate chance at submitting Hendricks, but that's about it... if he wants to do a re-match, then he needs to do it. but if he doesn't, then i can't see why a rational human being would go in for another beating like that...

just my .02.

by the way, thanks for the vote-downs, from whoever.... if you disagree, at least give a man your reason.

I didn't vote you down but if I was the type who bothers himself with simple and petty things such as up and down arrows being awarded to me by random and anonymous people, I'd have done it for the following line:

"an honorable man would have handed over the belt...."

GSP doesn't owe anybody anything, its well documented how he obsesses about being a champion and devotes his whole life to being the best, he was bound to burn out sooner or later its understandable. my guess is he'll take some time and come back but then again who really knows. As the sport ages he'll be looked at as a legend whether he fights again or not. Phone Post 3.0

I think what he is doing is very brave

hell no

He can do whatever he wants.

Say he fights Hendricks and wins another decision! people will want another fight.

If he loses people will want another fight.

You cant keep everyone happy all the time its that simple.

I think its a good time to call it a day.

I personally cant see someone as competitive GSP being able to retire and stay retired with people saying he lost that fight Phone Post 3.0

BshMstr - i have no issue with GSP retiring, and looking at his career fondly. but he lost to Hendricks, plain and simple...

but an honorable man would have handed the belt over to the rightful owner.

the judging on that fight is one more thing that makes me think that the UFC isn't that far off from professional boxing...

Name 1 champion in any combat sport who handed over a belt after a controversial decision.

Just 1...

Georges doesn't owe anyone anything imo.

He has earned every dollar and every plaudit he has ever received. For years he has been the UFC cash cow and the ultimate company man.

The way Dana treated Georges after the Hendricks fight was shabby and showed just how unprofessional Dana is. Dana is used to bullying fighters and getting what he wants, by all accounts Georges is in a position where he doesn't need to tolerate Danas shit.

I hope Georges does retire.

No Phone Post 3.0

Yes

The guy has been in many wars before the World heard of him! Time to retire ( he is rich )enjoy life!
Just the whole Hendricks thing doesn't sit good with most of us!?

GSP can do whatever he wants, like any other fighter regarding their career.

It was good to see GSP beat that whining Hendricks.

He doesn't owe anyone shit. I don't feel its dishonorable either. Phone Post 3.0

No. Its not. Phone Post 3.0

BshMstr - i have no issue with GSP retiring, and looking at his career fondly. but he lost to Hendricks, plain and simple...

but an honorable man would have handed the belt over to the rightful owner.

the judging on that fight is one more thing that makes me think that the UFC isn't that far off from professional boxing...

This post is stunningly stupid.

brich07 - I personally cant see someone as competitive GSP being able to retire and stay retired with people saying he lost that fight Phone Post 3.0

I can see real professionals not caring what random people think of what decision the judges. You may not agree with the decision but he didn't actually lose the fight. He won. The official record says so. No disrespect to you personally, but who cares what you think about the result? I doubt GSP does.

Not dishonorable at all.

Not in my opinion. In some of the interviews with his management before the fight, it seemed that GSP was  contemplating retirement, and that an announcement(the content of which was obsfucated) would be made after the fight. If you don't think you have it anymore (and maybe the fight confirmed it for GSP) no shame or dishonor in hanging it up imo . I'm not a fighter, but if I didn't feel I could not be at my best anymore, I wouldn't go out there to get my head bashed in, (especially if it's the case that I have financial security).