if gsp retires is it dishonorable?

i dont think he necessarily "owes" anyone anything, but retiring right after a fight most people thought he lost makes it look like he is taking a "cheap" route to retire on top...

if he wanted to retire, he probably should have announced it before the fight, not after..

and my bet is that he does retire...holding a press conference to proclaim nothing has changed is a bit much

gokudamus - 

i dont think he necessarily "owes" anyone anything, but retiring right after a fight most people thought he lost makes it look like he is taking a "cheap" route to retire on top...

if he wanted to retire, he probably should have announced it before the fight, not after..

and my bet is that he does retire...holding a press conference to proclaim nothing has changed is a bit much

Um, maybe he didn't know he'd squeek out a controversial split decision before the fight? Mighta thought it would be business as usual and then retire/semi-retire afterwards.

But I'm really 50/50 now on what was going to happen, I originally thought it was him just announcing he is returning to training full time or something of that sort since it seemed like it was more Montreal area media invited and not the general MMA press. But now with the bigger sites reporting on it you have to wonder.

Too bad the people on this site weren't as good as some of the sports sites I've seen. They know what planes the commissioners usually fly on so they can usually predict when a big event is going down. Like the Atlanta to Winnipeg thing, Bettman was going from Phoenix to Winnipeg regularly, then all of a sudden started going from Winnipeg to Atlanta.

No! Not at all. He is a Fighter, not a Judge. If he chooses to move on, I'm happy for him. But, he knows the torch should have been passed. Just like when he told Hughes he " was not impressed". It's like looking in the mirror sometimes.

If his head is not 100% in it any more he should definitely retire. As for it being dishonorable I don't think so. He fought his ass off against Johnny. The judges called it in his favor. Can't blame him for that. Phone Post 3.0

No

i have no issue with GSP retiring, and looking at his career fondly. but he lost to Hendricks, plain and simple...

but an honorable man would have handed the belt over to the rightful owner.

the judging on that fight is one more thing that makes me think that the UFC isn't that far off from professional boxing...

no

Damn.. gsp can do what he wants. If you dont like it

Tough Phone Post 3.0

Nope, he's been in the ufc forever and I'm not even a fan. Phone Post 3.0

Nope, it was a close fight and I thought Johnny won, but if GSP feels it's time to retire, then he should definitely retire. He is this sport's best athlete, has fought the best of the best for several years now and is one of the most dominant champions of all time. Nothing but respect for the guy, wish him all the best in whatever he does.

Blood in, blood out, IMO Phone Post 3.0

What a dumb thread

GSP can do wutever the fk he wants Phone Post 3.0

gokudamus - 

i'm not gonna lie, when he got the BS decision and then started talking about retiring, i got pretty mad...

i suppose it's because i know that he got beat (and Dana agreed and Fightmetric agreed, etc etc), and Hendricks would never get another shot at GSP's title...

i agree that him stating this was his last fight would be best, prior to the fight. i've been a fan of his for years, and have paid for many PPV's because of him...

i think GSP has a legitimate chance at submitting Hendricks, but that's about it... if he wants to do a re-match, then he needs to do it. but if he doesn't, then i can't see why a rational human being would go in for another beating like that...

just my .02.

by the way, thanks for the vote-downs, from whoever.... if you disagree, at least give a man your reason.

Your threads suck Phone Post

To leave on your own terms is the best anyone can ask for. If GSP wants to retire after his long and brilliant career then he should be able to and fuck anyone else if they have a problem with it. He doesnt owe anyone shit. So Hendricks wont be able to get the belt from GSP (even though most thought he won) but thats tough shit. If Hendricks ends up being a dominant champ and is in the same situation GSP is in at the end of his own career I bet he'd be less inclined to give a shit whether or not other people think he should have another fight and do all of those weeks of grueling fight prep and media tours.

Retirement after winning a close decision, decided in part by his performance in the 5th round of that fight, which was a clear display of GSP's incredible warrior spirit. The premise of this thread is dishonorable.

That said, I scored it for Hendricks. Phone Post 3.0

Kings21 - To leave on your own terms is the best anyone can ask for. If GSP wants to retire after his long and brilliant career then he should be able to and fuck anyone else if they have a problem with it. He doesnt owe anyone shit. So Hendricks wont be able to get the belt from GSP (even though most thought he won) but thats tough shit. If Hendricks ends up being a dominant champ and is in the same situation GSP is in at the end of his own career I bet he'd be less inclined to give a shit whether or not other people think he should have another fight and do all of those weeks of grueling fight prep and media tours.

do you really think he's leaving on his terms, though? most people thought he lost, and now he may or may not be leaving.... he didn't talk about it before this fight. the problem is, if Johnny destroys everybody else, he's always gonna have this "asterisk."

honestly, if he would've said that he's retired, and handed the belt to Hendricks, i would have no complaints... but as it is now, it looks like he's retiring because he knows he can't beat Hendricks, and got lucky with a decision this time.

it's hard to be critical of him retiring, though... if he thinks he's done, then he's done. he's put on great shows, and dominated a tough division. i personally hate to see a guy with his reputation and record leave with such a controversial final fight, tho....

BshMstr - 
Kings21 - To leave on your own terms is the best anyone can ask for. If GSP wants to retire after his long and brilliant career then he should be able to and fuck anyone else if they have a problem with it. He doesnt owe anyone shit. So Hendricks wont be able to get the belt from GSP (even though most thought he won) but thats tough shit. If Hendricks ends up being a dominant champ and is in the same situation GSP is in at the end of his own career I bet he'd be less inclined to give a shit whether or not other people think he should have another fight and do all of those weeks of grueling fight prep and media tours.

do you really think he's leaving on his terms, though? most people thought he lost, and now he may or may not be leaving.... he didn't talk about it before this fight. the problem is, if Johnny destroys everybody else, he's always gonna have this "asterisk."

honestly, if he would've said that he's retired, and handed the belt to Hendricks, i would have no complaints... but as it is now, it looks like he's retiring because he knows he can't beat Hendricks, and got lucky with a decision this time.

it's hard to be critical of him retiring, though... if he thinks he's done, then he's done. he's put on great shows, and dominated a tough division. i personally hate to see a guy with his reputation and record leave with such a controversial final fight, tho....

Well I wouldnt say it's his ideal scenario but by leaving on his own terms I just meant that he'd be choosing to walk away when he wanted to and not being sucked into another fight because other people are bitching and moaning about a bad decision. No doubt he would have rather KO'd Hendricks and left no doubt about him still being the best though. However I still think its better than going out after a string of KO losses.

I just think that if GSP does choose to retire then Hendricks should take it like an adult and acknowledge GSP for his accomplishments and realize that GSP has been at this game for a long time and has done a lot and really deserves to leave when he wants to leave.

GSP didnt talk about retiring before the fight but there were quite a few rumors about him saying that night that he'd be retiring and even leading up to the Condit and Diaz fights there were murmurs of him hanging them up.

It'd suck to see him leave on such a controversial fight but in the end it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks. People already talk shit on him cause he doesnt finish his fights. Ignoring the rest of his career and focusing on his last controversial fight is just another thing to bitch about.

GSP has beaten top ten fighter after top ten fighter.

If he no longer wants to fight, he should walk away. This is a violent sport and if your head and heart are not into it, quit.