If I want to kick harder...

Do I build up the legs, hips, and abs?

I know technique is the major roll. But, will building up the muscles mentioned above increase more damage to an opponent by being more explosive? Phone Post

First you will need access to a banana tree. Then when nearly worn out from all the kicking, you will need to find motivation by remembering what he did to your brother.

A quality trainer who can monitor your technique, hold pads well, and talk plenty of trash about your pansy kicks helps too.

nakmuay26 -
A quality trainer who can monitor your technique, hold pads well, and talk plenty of trash about your pansy kicks helps too.

Lol okay. :) Phone Post

A.W.Ashford - 

Do I build up the legs, hips, and abs?

I know technique is the major roll. But, will building up the muscles mentioned above increase more damage to an opponent by being more explosive? Phone Post

Yes and yes. But the key thing is working with a coach/trainer who knows how to teach the technique of the kick properly. There are kicking drills you can do that focus on increasing the power of your kicks, but you need someone to monitor you as you practice to make sure your maintaining proper kicking technique.

Khun Kao -
A.W.Ashford -  Do I build up the legs, hips, and abs?

Yes and yes. But the key thing is working with a coach/trainer who knows how to teach the technique of the kick properly. There are kicking drills you can do that focus on increasing the power of your kicks, but you need someone to monitor you as you practice to make sure your maintaining proper kicking technique.

Thank you KAO! Phone Post

Don't just focus on your kicking leg. Make sure your standing leg is pivoting to open up your hips. Phone Post

Check out Bas Rutten's video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBlnD_Bi5fw&list=PLtbuP45nyoz_eNXgzmpmEJWPnsNxnmly3&index=7

More hip (advice works better if said with funny Thai accent)

I dont know how well you kick but "more hip" is the textbook advice. Regardless of how much hip you are putting in.....put more.

More hip is the right answer.

My Muay Thai instructor is a very skinny and fairly small guy with not a lot of muscle but man can he kick.

We also have couple of skinny guys with fairly skinny legs and again - great leg kicks.

It's all about technique! That's it. No heavy squatting, no deadlifts.

I'm stronger more muscular but I am not on their level yet.

Put the miles on that kick! Over and over and over... Phone Post

Soup Nazi

Thanks

:)

Man I had an olympic style weight lifting coach who made a program for me to specifically kick and punch harder. It consisted of romanian deadlifts, front squats, back squats, over head snatch squats, military press and split squats. Ideally this targets your lower back, core, shoulders, quads, traps and a few other parts as well. The key is technique, so long as you have proper technique your muscles will increase a vast amount in a small time. Hope this helps.

Jimmy shit! I didn't even know this conversation was happening. Thanks everyone! VTFU WHEN I GET ON A COMP Phone Post