If Volk beats Islam it will be biggest victory in UFC history

DC and others have said that if Volk wins it will be the biggest upset in UFC history. IMHO If Volk beats Islam it will not only be the biggest upset but it will be the absolute biggest victory in UFC history. No one else has ever been actively defending a belt and then gone up and fought a guy THAT much bigger than them and who is THAT dominant of a grappler. Islam is a welterweight cutting a shit load just to make lightweight (just like khabib did) and also happens to be the best wrestler in the division. That is a combination of attributes that presents such a challenge that you just wouldn’t see anyone else attempt this in the modern era.

The way I see it only three other wins compare on paper to what Volk is attempting here. Conors win over Alvarez, DC’s win over Stipe AND BJ Penns win over Matt Hughes. (maybe Couture over Tim Sylvia is Sylvia was higher level opponent)

Now im gonna break down why Volks attempt here is a bigger deal than these three other wins.

When Conor moved up he had never defended the title at featherweight (anyone else would of been forced to vacate before the alvarez fight) and was a natural lightweight who cut a shit load to make featherweight in the first place (with the help of IVs). He more or less became the featherweight champion by fighting guys significantly smaller than himself. He also went up to lw at a time that the champion was a sloppy brawler with a reach disadvantage which was practially the perfect matchup for Conor.

Cormiers run at lhw/hw was pretty much the same story. Im not saying he weight bullied the LHW division quite like conor did at featherweight but he did literally cheat to make weight at least once. More importantly in DCs case, the fact is he was never the legit best guy at LHW, Jones was. His win over Stipe was a big deal obviously as Stipe is legit as fuck, but he wasn’t a significantly larger fighter than cormier and was not the better grappler of the two. Also Cormier poked stipes eye bad just before the KO but some will argue that that isn’t relevant (i think it is).

Volk is not weight bullying at featherwight. In fact he has looked undersized even at FW. Although he has fought at MW, WW and LW, he is clearly a natural FW. So right there he is doing something far more impressive by moving to LW than conor or DC did when they moved back up to their natural weights. He’s also doing it against a guy who is not just bigger, but a guy who is big even for LW.

I think the closest comparable win would be BJ Penns win against Matt Hughes. BJ was moving up against a guy that was way bigger and stronger, and was one of the most dominant wrestlers in UFC history. The chips were stacked against him in a way that is very similar to what Volk is facing in this fight with Islam. The reason why i think Volks win would be bigger is simply the fact that BJ wasn’t the undisputed champ of the lower weight class at the time of the fight with Hughes.

So all in all if you take into account the fact that Volk is indisputably the best in the world at FW with several title defences while actually being a natural FW (conor never could of been FW champ wothout IVs and never defended) and if you take into account the momentousness of what he is achieving on paper, plus the literal challenge that he is facing in Islam Machachev, then if he wins it will be the single greatest, biggest, most momentous victory in all of UFC history bar none.

Obviously this is a big IF though and the most likely outcome is a submission victory for Islam, but Volk has a chance.

3 Likes

I disagree. Conor’s win certainly brought in more money, and more eyes than this one will. Probably twice as much.

That makes his win bigger.

I agree OP. And I will be there so I really hope Volk pulls off the upset!!

1 Like

FRAT

1 Like

Okay yes in that regard Conor would have the top 5 wins in history for beating guys like nate and denis siver etc.

Im talking more about what Volk will be accomplishing and the challenge that he will be overcoming to do it.

If we are only talking money and eyes then jake paul is getting bigger wins than anyone in combat sports right now and obviously thats not the kind of thing im talking about in my post.

3 Likes

Let’s be real most fans on here are American and they are still salty that Volk beat max into irrelevance.

Volk may not get the respect he deserves here but if he manages to beat Islam it will be a historical upset of epic proportions

3 Likes

If volk wins this he will be close to entering top 5 GOAT discussion

1 Like

Vitor beating the founder of SAFTA seems bigger to me

1 Like

Well said and a good point. If I had of made the one millionth thread about how great some american wrestler from the 90s was, like “what would of happened if Don Frye fought todays top light heavyweights” or something like that then I probably would of gotten some dead serious responses about who he could or couldn’t have beaten lol.

Yet a thread about what could potentially be the biggest achievement in UFC history, which is barely being talked about on here, and you get crickets, purely because the fighters involved aren’t wrestlers from murrica

2 Likes

What a stupid ass take (and wrong). Yeah, most fans on here are American…no shit.

The fact is, there are very few rabid Max fans on here, and him being American is completely irrelevant. He claims and identifies more as Hawaiian than anything else. If there were a bunch of Hawaiians on here maybe a point would have been made.

Volk beat Max fair and square, and it wasn’t close. You really pulled that take straight out of your ass.

The reason it’s not really being talked up is that most people aren’t giving Volk a shot against Islam. So no one sees it as a competitive fight to begin with. I disagree. I think Volk has a good chance at beating Islam. If he wins he will have to be #1 p4p.

1 Like

Volks already #1 p4p first of all.

Second of all this guy is saying American mma fans, which is 95% of the posters on here counted Max as an American Champion. People on here have seemingly become more and more frustrated with each american champion that has been knocked off. Now they have no champs so they talk around here becomes more frequently about guys in the lower ranks etc.

Nah. This whole “American UGers are mad that Americans aren’t champs anymore” is nonsense. America is not a monolith either. It’s also huge. Even a guy like Colby, who isn’t champ, but does claim America very ardently, is hated by as many, if not more Americans than like him.

oh mate ,how good was it back then?
Tank vs Oleg, severn bashing the fuck out of Oleg.
Bruce Beck had the best voice too.