Igor Vovchanchyn vs. Mark Kerr

2 Likes

5’8. Igor may be the true p4p goat

4 Likes

He should have gone to lhw and KOed Silva

3 Likes

I remember watching his fight with Crocop and thinking, “man, he looks great, dropped a few pounds, looks light on his feet, quick”, and then BOOM.

1 Like

I checked Igor’s fights, and he has a NC to Kerr at Pride 7 due to illegal knees and a win by decision at Cold Fury. This must be the Pride 7 match.

I think I have the DVD of this, and there’s a behind the scenes video where Igor’s manager asks if knees are allowed, and they get a jumbled barely understandable answer.

I saw this fight. Where were those knees illegal for Igor but legal for Coleman?

Vovchanchyn was next matched up with American wrestler Mark Kerr for the unofficial title of #1 heavyweight in the world. Nearly all outlets that covered mixed martial arts considered either Vovchanchyn or the unbeaten two-time UFC Champion and ADCC Champion Mark Kerr as the best heavyweight fighter in the world. Early in the fight, Kerr cut Vovchanchyn with a knee strike to the right eye and secured several takedowns, but he was unable to pass Vovchanchyn’s guard or do any more significant damage. In the last round, Vovchanchyn pounced on the now-exhausted Kerr and dominated him with strikes, eventually knocking him out with a series of knees. Vovchanchyn was declared the winner, but the result was later overturned and the result declared a no contest. Knees to the head of a grounded opponent in the four points position had been banned just prior to the event. This fight was also the first time Vovchanchyn’s manager, Eugenia Borschevskaya, was seen in his corner.[21]

Did Igor have all 4 points down?

Sorry, I misread that.

I’ll bet the rules were to protect Igor

It would be Kerr who had 4 points down

Yes they were technically illegal at that time. If my memory is correct at Pride 7 knees to the head on all fours like that were still illegal however when not faced down like Coleman vs Igor where bottom fighter was on his back facing up then they were considered legal.

Then I think it was Pride 13 when Saku vs Wanderlei happened that it was full knees to the head on the ground and the results were devastating lol.

It was kind of like how ONE used to have another stupid rule when it started where you had to wait for the Refs signal. That’s why Sylvia vs Arlovksi 4 was a NC because he didn’t wait. That stupid rule was also changed.

Yeah, I’m making a mess of my replies today.

Seems like Pride changed the rules almost every event back then. This fight also had at least two ten minute rounds. Didn’t they eventually go to 10, 5, and 5?

1 Like