IMPORTANT QUESTION

i have a mma fight coming up later this month and i have a question. what techniques and combos can i use boxing wise to counter untrained haymaker and bomb punches?

how do i get inside those, and get a ko? thats what i want in this fight, and i hope to do a vitor belfort on my opponent, but i have limited access to real good boxing training. any tips anyone?

also, if you read this, a TTT will be most appreciated. please dont be like the og and ug and ignore this humble request. if you dont have info to help here, a ttt will be great. thanks again people :)

The best way to get to a bomber/looper is to throw straight punches...you're punches will always get there first.

TTT for our technique guys who can put it more elaborately than myself :)

Be careful backing straight up. Alot of beginning fighters pull straight back, or back up from punches wild punches and get caught on the end of them. Keep your eyes up and open. As BoxingFan said, the straight punches will usually beat the wild haymaker shots. Essentially, you want to punch "in between" the wild shots.

Boxing fan is on the money -

1. Straight punches
2. Hands UP after you punch
3. MOve inside against wild swingers
4. Bring your feet with you

Make sure that you bring your hands back in the up position.

Don't throw straight and then let them drop -

I've seen a lot of MMA guys come straight forward throwing fairly straight punches but they let their hands drop after they punch and start leading with their head.

If your head is out over your knees you are open for even the wildest haymakers AND takedowns as well.

Don't forget to bring you feet along with you.
If you are punching you should be moving and you will generate better power and maintain the balance to avoid the problems I mentioned above.

The best place to be against a wild swinger is inside the arc of his punches. You have the punching lane for straight shots. Moving forward in a good stance will support this. You may have to cover with more of a triangle block to the sides of your head if instead of wild swings they are just wide hooks.

Are you a grappler?

Do you know if you are fighting a southpaw?

Is he a kicker, BJJ'er, or wrestler?

thanks guys so much for the info. i knew you guys would come through. i know to throw straight punches cuz i know they will get there first, but the info you guys gave along with this knowledge is great.

drunk-

i train in muay thai and jiu-jitsu, but i have only been messing around with muay thai for about 9 months, and not that experienced sparring. i have had one nhb fight and this will be my second. dont know if the guy is a southpaw or not, but i am. i just recently started developing my southpaw stance because before, for some reason, it felt more comfortable standing right handed. i knew i had alot of power in my straight left, so i figured i better stand in the stance i am most powerful in, lol.

the promoter said this is the guys first fight, and he knows that he grapples a little bit, but no striking. im thinking he will be throwing wild haymakers like i saw this weekend at a fight show, thus prompting this thread.

thanks again guys, this is great info.

thanks martin :)

ttt

Haymaker throwers tend to headhunt so stay low and croiuched a little, hands up to the sides of your head, peak out in between, come in crouched then explode forward and upwards with startight punches with, as what many people said, HANDS UP WHEN THEY COME BACK. A haymker will usually come high so if you're low, chances are he misses and if he doesn't your hands are up....

good tips molson! thanks man

IMHO, you should pay attention to the way he moves before, while, and after he attacks. When watching almost all stand up fighting the two guys dance around a bit kinda mellow, then one explodes and lunges in for the kill. Often this explosion of attacks catches the opponent off guard because of the current fight pace. If you bring the fight to a slower pace then explode in on him, you can catch him off guard. And pay attention to his body movements before he attacks, and how he acts after the attack. You can see alot of people drop the hands after the attempted exchange, assuming the fight pace is going to go back to a milder one. At this time when your opponent drops his guard you attack him, this may throw him off. You never know, something i learned to do in Goju Ryu Karate a long time ago when i took it, sinse then I've moved on to better training thankfully.

---Kirkor

Great thread, I learned a lot

another thing.... most competitors stare one another in the eye as they fight. 70 % of the time i fix my gaze at the opponents mid section, so i can look at them more as just another opponent rather than a living breathing opponent. But ive met the stare of some who have intimidated me greatly, most likely cause of there intense drive to rip me open lol.

after your opponent throws some silly bombs just defend and stare back at him with an unphased, unaffected glare. This may unnerve him and throw him off, any advantage is worth it. chances are he knows he can't punch and he may feel outclassed because of this.

kirkor

hope so! lol

ttt

Everything they said is right on the money. Also,
don't forget side to side head movement and do
not step backwards in a straight line -- you will get
nailed with a long punch.

I'm too tired to add to the already great advice right now but maybe I'll try later, but I will say "good luck"

buddie

thanks buddie and dino :)

come on guys, no more info? oh well, this should be enough here hopefully. thanks again peeps

lol