Instructors that don't teach ESCAPES???

mjm345 - 
dojo stormer - when i first started training, i remember john will saying that he would show a position and not show the counter.

the reason was because if he showed the counter, then people would practice the move but because the counter was shown they wouldn't believe in the technique.

I have met a few teachers who feel this way. It kind of makes sense not to show the move and the escape together, at least for beginner students. It's hard enough for a novice to get a new submission without the opponent knowing the escape. It may be better to teach the sub, let everyone get caught in it that day sparring, then they will all pay extra attention to the escape when you teach it next class.

I agree with that...

I don't think you should show a move then IMMEDIATLY show the counter. It takes aways peoples' confidence that the move works.

That is certainly NOT the same thing as "not teaching counters" at all though.

I rarely teach escapes. Offense & counter offense. Every now and then I'll show an escape but more so, don't ask how to escape the triangle but ask how to stay out of it.

"don't ask how to escape the triangle but ask how to stay out of it. "

this is all well and good but the best guys in the world get caught in deep submissions still. they know how to stay out of them but when you go against talented grapplers you are going to get put in bad spots.

Roger Gracie gets stuck in a locked triangle in the vid link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWQpo9zSKSE

His escape saved him.

Learning and teaching escapes are an integral part of jiu jitsu.

Not only do I not teach escapes, I teach my rolling partners the wrong way to move, thus setting them up for my submissions.

Agreed. I do show them, I just prefer to concentrate much more on posture and game plans more. I've seen people learn escapes and then get put in the positions much more often in tournaments because they use the escape like a crutch. I do agree with your post. I just prefer to show them less often and again, concentrate on other areas.