Interesting Guidelines to Purple Belt

<p><br />

I know that many people who read this blog are blue belts or are close to becoming one. I happened to bump into the Alliance’s (in Atlanta) requirements for promotion to Purple Belt yesterday. It is pretty interesting. I always like to quantify what it takes to get to the next level and even though we all train under different guidelines I think this is probably a good tool to use.

ALLIANCE BJJ (Atlanta) – Home of Jacare, Cobrinha and Chris Moriarty (Alliance’s Blog)

Purple Belt Requirements (other belts – click here)

On average, 3 years of training with a minimum of 360 classes plus passing the following test. Belt promotions are always at the discretion of the head instructor. Factors such as above-average class attendance, natural ability, or competing could possibly shortened the time to purple belt, while a poor attitude, bad temper, or a lack of common morality outside the school could lengthen it.

Throws and Takedowns
One leg throw
Four hip throws
Two double legs
Two single leg

Self-Defense
Two ways to defend the guillotine standing up
Two ways to defend the headlock standing
One way to defend the headlock on the ground
One way to defend the guillotine on the ground

Passing the Guard
Five different ways to pass the guard and get side control

Half-Guard
Two sweeps from the half-guard
Two half-guard passes

Sweeps from the Guard
Five different ways to sweep your opponent

Escapes
Two ways to escape the mount
One way to escape the side-mount
One way to escape the rear-mount
One way to escape the knee-on-belly

Submissions
Five from the mount
Two double attacks
Three from the side-mount
Two from the back
Two from knee in the belly
Five from the guard

*These requirements are posted on Alliance’s Website – Links are above.*

<a href="http://jiujitsu365.wordpress.com/2010/02/11/interesting-guidelines-to-purple-belt/" target="_blank">more &raquo;</a>