Interview with Michael Chandler

Last November, St. Louis' own Michael Chandler defeated heavily-favored Eddie Alvarez, to win the Bellator lightweight title.  I spoke with the Mizzou grad, and undefeated fighter, about what's coming up in 2012, including his clothing site, blessedthreads.com, which donates a portion of all sales to Friends Of Kids With Cancer, a St. Louis-based charity.

Dan Ryno: What’s up everybody, this is Dan Ryno for insideSTL.com, and I’m speaking with one of the top 155 pound fighters on the planet, the Bellator lightweight champion, St. Louis’ own…Michael Chandler. Michael, thanks for the time.

Michael Chandler: No, thank you guys. I appreciate it.

DR: A lot of stuff I want to get to with you, without taking too much of your time. But, let’s start with wrestling, if you don’t mind. What’s the deal with Missouri wrestlers dominating the MMA scene recently?

MC: Shoot, man. I think it’s just hard work, honestly. Right now, I’m about to start training camp in a few weeks, but I’m taking time out to go to Columbia. I had to go to St. Louis, but I’m going to spend a day or two before, and a day or two after, to spend some time in Columbia. Missouri Wrestling is a program built on hard work and discipline. And the kind of people Coach Smith recruits, he turns them into discipline men, and we work our butts off. We really, truly believe we work harder than anyone else. I just think that’s what it is. You’ve seen the guys have success. Obviously, the [wrestling] program is getting better, but we’re dominating in MMA as well. That’s not a testament to me being the most talented guy going in, or a highly touted recruit. I just got there, worked my butt off, and did everything [Coach Smith] said. I would have ran through a brick wall for him, and I ended up on the podium.

More here -

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/STLSports/WrestlingMMA/tabid/256/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/8322/INTERVEW-Bellator-Lightweight-Champion-Michael-Chandler.aspx

Dan is a facebook friend....  Show the site some love by clicking on it for the rest please...

ttt

Ttt Phone Post

I'm glad to see Mizzou wrestling is still staying around despite the conference move. Phone Post

He has another interview with the coach for Mizzou on that site...

Stu Cazzo - He has another interview with the coach for Mizzou on that site...

When I get a little more free time, I'll be sure to check it out! Phone Post

Thanks for posting, Chandler is awesome.

I've been closely watching his career since I saw him live at Strikeforce ragdolling then submitting Sal Woods in under a minute. Phone Post

I'm not sure....but I think UG'er purebader helped this guy get a couple of interviews....

Here's the interview with the coach....

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/STLSports/WrestlingMMA/tabid/256/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/8296/INTERVIEW-Mizzou-Wrestling-Coach-Brian-Smith.aspx

ttt, chandler is a beast.

Gotta watch it again just because.....

minotauro11 - Thanks for posting, Chandler is awesome.

I've been closely watching his career since I saw him live at Strikeforce ragdolling then submitting Sal Woods in under a minute. Phone Post

You from st louis minotauro? Phone Post

Honest here - I didn't know who he was until the Alvarez fight.  Usually I follow Mizzou wrestlers because I'm from St. Louis and they're the best program close to this city....but he flew under the radar for me.

Good to see him taking his chance and running with it - I'm a fan -

MIZ Phone Post

UGCTT_mmafan420 -

Yes, I am. Phone Post

minotauro11 -
UGCTT_mmafan420 -

Yes, I am. Phone Post

Nice me too...i actually seen micheal in action while wrestling in hs! Phone Post