Is giving up your back really smart?

While i was watching the amazing "BEST OF WORLDS 08" DVD, my little brother asked me why people always seamed to give up the back and getting choked out because if it, instead of letting the guy pass and work from there?

I know its a lot easier (at least for me) being submitted if you opponent is behind you and I´m a lot better recovering guard from side mount and mount.

Is those 3 points worth it if you opponents scores an advantage and later on have a pretty good chance of getting the tap or 4 points instead?

Is bjj a little bit short minded when it comes to points?

At that level, yes. Except they aren't giving up the back mount, they are going to turtle and they are skilled at recovering guard from that position.

i would MUCH rather have someone on top of turtle on me than top of side, plus it only gives up an advantage instead of the 3.

i go to turtle all the time to prevent a pass or to escape side mount, whether its competition or just friendly training.

now in a real fight i would not advocate it really, if you do you better get guard or stand up right away no dicking aruond in turtle.

Baroquen Record - i would MUCH rather have someone on top of turtle on me than top of side, plus it only gives up an advantage instead of the 3.i go to turtle all the time to prevent a pass or to escape side mount, whether its competition or just friendly training.now in a real fight i would not advocate it really, if you do you better get guard or stand up right away no dicking aruond in turtle.

In a bjj "fight"Do u feel safer in turtel then in side mount? (would it be different if we exclude points?)

in pure grappling i feel like i have more options to better my position from turtle than bottom side mount.

from turtle i can sweep, recover guard, get a take down or stand up.

from bottom side i can either recover guard or go to turtle. against good players its a lot easier for me to get to my knees than it is to recover guard from bottom side.

i know some people can benchpress people and roll them from bottom side, but im usually at a weight disadvantage and have trouble doing these types of sweeps.