Is judo really effective/important

you guys are all saying competitive judo is extremly hard to master. Is their tournements for late begginers though or is it hard to start competing at such a late age... such as white belt tournments for 19-24 yr olds, etc?

There are usually different skill divisions at local and regional judo tournaments. Sometimes there are pure white belt divisions, other times, green belt and under, then brown and black, sometimes even separate brown belt divisions. Age brackets are for under 17, and in some cases a "Masters" division for folks 30 years of age and older.

Ben R.

ben - 0-17 and 30+ but nothing for 19 yr olds?

I think that Judo would be a good base for MMA in your situation, depending on your coach. You might get a bit confused doing wrestling too, but give it a try and see which one you like best.

Ben R.

FutureProdigy, if you're in the 19-24 yr age range and a beginner, there should be more than enough judo competitions you can enter. I'm 30 yrs old, been doing judo for about a year and I started competing a few months ago - most, if not all regional competitions seem to have a beginner's division (below green belt), and as for age, the divisions usually seem to be juniors (under 16 yrs or under 17 yrs), seniors (16/17 yr and older) and masters (30 yrs and up), with more than a few juniors and masters competitors also competing in the seniors divisions. So, yeah, I don't think you're too old to be competing as a beginner in judo.

"ben - 0-17 and 30+ but nothing for 19 yr olds? "

No, 19 is considered to be adult under standard Judo rules. It's 0-16, 17 year olds fight with adults.

At a higher level (Pan Am) there is a Youth Division for kids under 19 or 20, but you won't see that at a local/regional level of competition.

Ben R.

Judo can help with conditioning and your stand up game. If you are in a dojo where there's lots of matwork then it can help out a there. Like big Q says, if MMA is your goal then when you train judo, think of how you can use it for MMA. Play submission judo, don't worry about the pins. Cross training is always a good thing. The droogs do lots of cross training and that's what makes them so good.

RB

Cross-training is great for MMA, however, it tends to leave my sport judo lacking. In shiai, you southside boys just love countering my throws:)...Exhibit A

He was able to counter you even though you had the leg grapevined? Try a forward roll next time and hope you don't break all his ribs!

Ben R.

haha, Im the one trying the modified ura nage, he's the one who put me on my ass with the grapevine...

BTW, that is Snyder, south sides's national champion..

and yes, I am waaaaay too small to be going against him but I was a fatass and came in 1lb over and didnt want to cut it, now I'm 2 weightclasses lower:)

Looks like a tani otoshi to me.

It was ura nage. Looks like tani in the picture but it's decieving because it is half way through his counter.

"haha, Im the one trying the modified ura nage, he's the one who put me on my ass with the grapevine...
BTW, that is Snyder, south sides's national champion.."

LOL! I know who Snyder is. OK, so he did it right and you did it wrong.

Ben R.

Got it MM. It looks phat nonetheless.

Chris is freaky with his ability to twist and counter...We call it monkey judo. How's MFC doing? Sounds like you guys are rockin' again!

RB

Yeah things are up and running. Classes are picking up, we are adding bjj classes next week and boxing classes with in the next month. Our problem has always been our hardcore nature in that we tend to run people away because of the brutality of our training..MMA is this way. These new classes will give those who want more sporting classes a chance to train as well, without having to roll with the die hard guys..It takes a special breed to be a droog. Over the years only maybe 2 dozen have ever stayed for any length of time, this is 100% caused by ass kickings..Personally, I love that shit, I wouldnt have it any other way, but I have now realized not everyone does so we are starting to offer classes where they dont have to be subjected to such things.

as to his ability to counter, he is awesome, his brother countered me the same way before as well. Those guys have really good judo, as do you, I am pretty sure you beat me before in shiai but I dont remember how. I know you are the only guy in the state who's ne-waza truely worries me...

I have since practiced my standing judo alot more, back then I basicly got to the blackbelt level on wrestling alone, I knew the throws and all but I never tried them in shiai, just tried to wrestle and sub guys in ne-waza..Now I can actually throw people too:) Now if my back would heal up I could get back to shiai, which I think is a complete riot win or lose...Anyone who thinks MMA is hard on the body, hasnt had a real hard judo war..Shiai can be the most hardcore combat sport out there....Feet burnt all up, gi burns, fingers and toes all mangled, completely gassed, smacking the tatami like you got sacked by a 350lb lineman at full bore, etc...I love that!! Makes me feel alive.

I remember the first time I saw Chris Snyder at nationals. I was like, who is this guy? His style was so different than all the other more strength/hard style oriented fighters in his division. I really enjoyed watching him to say the least.

Ben R.

Thanks for the comp. Q. I'd like to get out to MFC sometime to train a little with the droogs. It's hard having a 7 month old now - but I will do it sometime. I'm looking forward to seeing you smash some jokers, I just hope it's not me. :).

RB