Is this legal?

There’s a guy in my class who, when he’s mounted, he puts his foot inside your gi, at the back, and pushes you off.

One time, I without me prompting him, he told me that it was legal because he quickly sticks his hand in first and then his foot. So, I took from what he said that his move might be only legal via a loophole lol. I recently saw him doing it to someone without putting his hand in the spot right before his foot. I’m not saying I believe what he’s saying, just trying to give you guys all the information.

Is his move legal?

1 Like

Dana White Wink GIF by Jake Martella

4 Likes

TLDR

You got fisted in class?

3 Likes

I didn’t read the entire thing, but yeah, it sounds like OP got fingered in his karate class.

6 Likes

Walk Out Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

3 Likes

You cannot put your foot in the belt when Mounted, but you can put it in the collar, far as I understand.

That’s what “Lapel Guard” is all about and I don’t know of any special rules when your Mounted that would prohibit it.

But, I also don’t stay super up to date with rules, so…

4 Likes

Thanks Shen. Not sure if it makes a difference but he’s not pushing on the collar, just against the part that would cover the small of your back, on the inside.

It’s annoying and feels cheap. Anything with the lapel feels legit.

1 Like

No. You have to have a handgrip in conjunction with a foot in the gi tech like all the lapel guard shit. . Putting the foot in an opponents belt or gi to kick them off of you or make space to escape is illegal.

4 Likes

You should eat 2 lb of sugar-free gummy bears and a supersized sugar-free Slurpee 45 minutes before your next practice with him. As soon as you get the mount, you shit all over him. It’s fucking science…

• interesting fact, philbaroni introduced me to the concept of eating sugar-free gummy bears as a laxative. I was never a fan of using laxatives to cut weight, and I never did. However we were walking around the Taj Mahal the day before UFC 30 weigh-ins and he was eating a huge bag of sugar-free gummy bears. I asked him why he was eating gummy bears of all things and he told me they made him shit his brains out. I didn’t believe him, and I helped him polish off the bag. He wasn’t kidding, those things are human Draino! I dare you to eat a pound of them but stay near a toilet
3 Likes

In ibjjf rules it is illegal to do any move with your foot stuck in the gi unless you are also using a hand to hold that part of the gi in place

You cannot put your foot in the belt or into the jacket or in the back of the collar to sweep or escape etc

But you can hold the lapel or belt and push it with your foot

Hope this clarifies

5 Likes

To add to my totally unsolicited answer you can’t do what i call “the parachute” where your foot is stuck in the back of their uniform. Even if you open the coat with your hand, that’s a no no unless your foot is pushing what your hand is holding onto …. If that makes sense

3 Likes

Thanks. It’s really annoying and as I said, he once explained to me that because he punched it instantaneously with his hand right before or at the same time he put his foot there, that it was legal. He didn’t even grab the gi or keep his hand there, just hit it with his hand quickly and put his foot in there and then pushed with his foot.

Mount is a great position, sometimes it takes work to get the mount, and it sucks to lose it to this technique.

So, illegal?

1 Like

That sounds right… Except, I thought they specifically banned the foot inside the belt mount escape because people were getting their knees injured. That’s what I was told 20 years ago. Someone was doing it in class and people said you can’t use that one anymore.

Maybe it’s changed, back & forth, like the biceps lock rules.

I don’t really know.

Yes illegal in ibjjf rules. However there are many different rule sets many of which are drastically less detailed and do not address this situation such as the dreaded “sub only” idea

1 Like

I like the mount. How can I shut down his cheesy trick?

It’s his best move. I could clobber him by just attacking from side control, but I’d rather take mount and shut down his trick and then submit him.

If anyone can help, I’ll report back and let you know how it goes (whatever that’s worth).

How the fuck does he put a foot INSIDE your gi? Like up your back or at your collar? If it’s at your collar he should skip BJJ and spend his time sucking his own dick.

He puts his foot inside the jacket at the middle of my back at waist level. His body type is long, thin, and nimble.

If he wants to use illegal techniques just take your jacket off before you mount him. Or just knee him in the head from north south.

The answer might be to tie your belt so tight that nothing can get in there, or wear a jacket so loose it doesn’t matter if he sneaks his foot in

I’m an A3. I’ll keep an A5 handy and throw it on before he and I roll.

In general how much do competition legalities determine how you train? I think the only things I actively avoid are reaping and heel hooks when in the gi. And that’s really for my team mates who compete far more frequently than I do.