Izzy is 0 for 3. Why does he deserve ANOTHER rematch?

This is the fairest statement I’ve ever heard

4 Likes

if i recall , he agreed with the stoppage too

Izzy doesn’t deserve a rematch and it’s a stupid fight to make. I wish Pereira would have just announced his move to 205 when Glover retired

1 Like

I dislike Izzy and wish the ref let the fight continue so he could get flatlined by Pereira.

With that being said, Izzy was a great champion that cleared out his division. He consistently fought top contenders and never ducked anyone. He deserves a rematch.

1 Like

Can’t we just enjoy seeing him getting folded again?

1 Like

The answer is in your OP

He was a longtime champ and lost. He defended his belt 5 times. I don’t know about you, but I can’t think of that many champs that have done that.

1 Like

Usman, Nunes and Adesanya were the only UFC champions in years actually deserving of their immediate rematches. Adesanya has totally cleaned out that division, he 100% deserves it.

I made a thread about this a couple weeks ago, he’d already beat 1-6 in his division, and Romero. No other champ has done that in a LONG time.

2 Likes

This is what I’ve been saying. It doesn’t make sense to rest your argument on “he is 0-3” against the guy. Nobody cared about Joanna beating Valentina in Muay Thai when they fought in MMA.

What puts the final nail in the coffin is what you said about winning the fight beforehand. Israel was clearly and decisively winning, Alex maybe had 1 round. If that went to a decision we likely see a 49-46 in his favor. He was completely picking him apart.

1 Like

Yup. In order, domino style. All of the most dangerous guys in the division, and all of them people said would beat Israel.

1 Like

Adesanya objected to the stoppage in the cage when it happened, in the post fight and in interviews afterwards.

The stoppage was controversial because Adesanya and some MMA fans objected to the stoppage. You can google “Adesanya stoppage” and they will preview “Adesanya early stoppage.” You can go on twitter, reddit, mma.tv, sherdog and see many fans all over argue vehemently about it. Thats what makes it controversial.

The stoppage was somewhat controversial because I didnt really have a problem with the stoppage.

Just because fans have a problem with something, that doesn’t make it controversial.
A lot of MMA fans now days don’t seem to be happy unless they’re seeing someone beaten to death in there.

And lol @ it being controversial because a fighter didn’t like it.

I’m sure Izzy hated it.
He got beat by the same guy for a third time in a different sport and lost his belt.

That stoppage was legit

The way noisemakers work is, they astroturf a claim as loudly as possible and try to recruit useful idiots into thinking it’s legitimate and organic, and echoing it. They use their noises, and any idiots who are tricked by them, as evidence for their fiction. Their intention isn’t to make it real, only to trick people into being willing to force others based on the pretense. Force is what they’re after.

Remember that anything and everything will be used as a pretense… even thought it might not just be a pretense.

In the case of Izzy, I think it’s just due to him being in trouble, but not yet stopped, and he was winning on the scorecards. If you told him he had a 3% chance of recovering, and a 1% chance of dying, he’d take those odds.

It might technically be controversial, but I’d say it isn’t controversial like when Yan won all three rounds vs O’Malley, and O’Malley was declared the winner. The controversy is more like, would Izzy have recovered or died if the ref had not stopped it… and had the ref not stopped it, and he did recover, would he have made it to the end. I don’t think that there is any disagreement that had it been allowed to continue, and Izzy recovered, and made it to the end, he would have been ahead on the scorecards.

Since they are both kickboxers and not looking to go to the ground I can see how the other losses are relevant.

It isn’t like the other losses were in 1 on 1 basketball, it’s about as close of a sport comparison as it gets.

2 Likes

I agree with you. At the time I was pissed off, Adesanya is my favorite fighter. He was a minute away from winning the decision handily. I was on here like a maniac saying it was an early stoppage because Israel was slipping a shot and ducking under (IIRC) when it was stopped. But I watched the replay afterwards, then the next morning. I think it could have gone on a few seconds longer, but the stoppage was absolutely justifiable and not even remotely close to being a “bad stoppage”. I guess the definition of “controversy” might be that a certain number of fans debate it or disagree with it, but I agree with you that it doesn’t make the stoppage itself controversial. A few years from now nobody will really be saying it was a bad stoppage. It was fake outrage/emotional reaction

2 Likes

Not really. Still a different sport. Israel took him down too. As I mentioned, nobody cared that Joanna had wins over Valentina in Muay Thai before their MMA fight

1 Like

Joanna actually lost 3 times to Valentina in Muay Thai before their MMA fight and has never beaten her in any combat sport to my knowledge.

1 Like

Thats what makes something controversial. Fighter didnt agree, lots of fans didnt agree. What do you think makes something controversial? Do you have some special definition for it?

Okay I had it backwards. That actually helps my point because I didn’t care enough to even know who won in Muay Thai.

2 Likes