Jackson/Winklejohn

Greg Jackson and Mike Winklejohn are the greatest coaches in the sport today. I don't know why they are bashed so regularly on the UG.

When UFC 1 debuted, we all wanted to learn BJJ from Rorion, which made him at the time the best (known) coach in MMA. Looking back the best coach at the time was probably Carlson Gracie, Sr., but there was no known back to look back to then.

Then Mark Coleman and Dan Severn proved that wrestling could trump all. There was no identifiable premier wrestling coach in MMA, which was good (long story), so everyone brushed off their HS and college wrestling.

Then Mo Smith knocked out Coleman, and the MMA Alliance team of coaches Smith and Frank Shamrock were tops.

Finally Pat Miletich established the blueprint for the sport that lasts up til today, and probably forever – to reach the top in MMA, you need skills adequate to hang with national class guys in wrestling, BJJ, and stand up.

Miletich Martial Arts produced 80+ television and PPV level fighters, 14 world titlists in various organizations, and five UFC world champions. Since that time, the sport has been blessed with some extraordinary coaches - Rudimar Fedrigo, Matt Hume, Ricardo Liborio,  Greg Nelson/Erik Paulson, Andre Pederneiras, and many more. And atop every coach today is the team of Jackson/Winklejohn.

For reasons I don't understand, the pair, or more often Greg Jackson, come under fire on the UG. Jackson is both humble and great, a rare combination on this sport, or anywhere. Maybe people just hate success. I dunno.

The problems Jackson had with Rashad Evans are complex, and both parties have expressed a hope to move to more friendly ground. Rashad Evans is a man, and does not appear to need any coat holders in his disagreement.

I don't see why anyone would want to parse the opaque train of human interaction that led to their 'divorce' and jump in on one side of the other. Rashad Evans is a great fighter. Greg Jackson is a great trainer. They had a disagreement, and Rashad moved on.

They say there are three sides to every fight, one side the other side and the truth, but really there are four sides, with the last one being "I have better things to worry about than that fight, like whether my socks match."

Anyway, just wanted to get a sounding on how people think, and why there is so much Jackson bashing. Is it just that Dana has said Jackson fighters don't finish? I really don't get it.

That's the heart of it, right there.

Because they coach Jones, and about 99% of the people on the UG hate Jones, therefore they hate Jackson/Winklejohn

Greg Jackson needs to get some fans

Rashad drama aside...Jackson is made out to be a better coach than he is.

A guy like Cesar Gracie took in guys from their beginning and turned them into world champions.

Guys join the Jackson brand. Guys like Guillard, Arlovski, Carwin, Jon Jones and many many others.

Best coach in the game....hell no....owner of the gym with the most talent yes.

You can't leave out the lions den when talking about great teams in history. After UFC 5 The Lions Den was the place to be for a while.

But as for Jackson's, I agree that they are awesome and every mma fighter would benefit by spending some time there to at least see what it is they do.

The thing I don't like though is that they take advantage of some shity rules. I don't blame them, there is a lot of money and fame at stake but it is sometimes frustrating to watch. Ultimately the problem lies in the unified rules though.

Serra

irishrottie - Rashad drama aside...Jackson is made out to be a better coach than he is.

A guy like Cesar Gracie took in guys from their beginning and turned them into world champions.

Guys join the Jackson brand. Guys like Guillard, Arlovski, Carwin, Jon Jones and many many others.

interesting point, however, oddly enough isn't Rashad the only "fully homegrown" UFC champ from Jacksons? (well then I suppose Condit can have a claim to that as well but you see my point)

Jones started some where else just like most of his top talent and then came to Jacksons who was built on the backs of Rashad Jardine Diego Condit Villesenor etc. from winning the Ultimate fighter to winning the belt Rashad did a lot to make jackson the place where all the greats wanted to come and train including GSP etc

Every interview Rashad does he bashed Greg Jackson, so maybe in private he has moved on but his public self didn't get the memo yet. Maybe after the fight he will finally get it.

The other thing is people love drama, think about it why would a show like The Jersey Shore or any reality show for that matter, WWE, etc be huge hits? and this "feud" between Rashad and Jackson is pure drama. There needs to be a guy people can root for and a guy people can hate.

Modal Jazz -  Greg Jackson needs to get some fans

Lol Phone Post

Jackson has no loyalty, and it shows.
I think that pisses people off, its happened more than once.

Not to mention Jackson's gym has created how many champions?
Rashad.

Jones is new, and would have been champion nearly anywhere.

irishrottie - Rashad drama aside...Jackson is made out to be a better coach than he is.

I can agree with most of this.
Cesar definitely grew a shit load of talent.

Probably just as much as any gym has, ever.
Pat Miletich has to be up there also.

Its become the "in" thing to hate on the successful guys in the sport. Its much cooler to like a lesser known fighter. For example, GSP gets mucho hate for a variety of reasons but he is arguably the best fighter in MMA history. Jake Shields was a fav fighter for a lot before he came to the UFC and became hated by the majority. I think it just comes with the territory of major MMA success.

12SixElbow - 

Cesar taught them BJJ. His team of coaches taught them everything else. I think Cesar gets too much credit for what he's done as far as MMA goes. Both the Diaz bro's striking is due to their boxing coach.

99.5% of the "Bashers" have never met either coach in real life, they do "think" that they know them- but only from interviews on the 'net.

Kirik - "I don't see why anyone would want to parse the opaque train of human interaction..."

Whoa whoa whoa...Kirik, you're on the UG! Let me help express your thoughts so the masses might better understand you.

Kirik - "Why you tryin' to figure out shit you don't understand, bitches?"

You're welcome.

Naderhood -
12SixElbow - 

Cesar taught them BJJ. His team of coaches taught them everything else. I think Cesar gets too much credit for what he's done as far as MMA goes. Both the Diaz bro's striking is due to their boxing coach.

True, but what does Jackson actually teach anyone? Gaido jitsu? Phone Post

dchi07 - 
Naderhood -
12SixElbow - 

True, but what does Jackson actually teach anyone? Gaido jitsu? Phone Post
Actually he gives each of his fighters 3 techniques a day for them to drill and learn, then practice at sparring intensity with a partner. 3 techniques a day to each friggin fighter whether they are black belts in BJJ, all-American wrasslers, or world class strikers. He does this every training day.......and yes, prob does some gaido jitsu too

tommymorrisonfan - Being the best coach in mma is kind of like winning gold at the special Olympics.

Sure you won. But at the end of the day, you're still retarded.
MOST PLAYED OUT QUOTE EVAR!

because there are a lot of simple, stupid, spiteful people on your forum, Kirik.