Jake Shields drawing

rjbo71 - By Painting I mean really using something like a sanded board and applying very heavy layers of pastel. Color does not have to be realistic in fact its better if is not in some ways. You absolutely should try sticks - its a blast.

I have considered posting my work but am concerned with revealing too much about myself on here. Also I am have been in the process of trying to reinvent myself for the past year and am not where I want to be. It has been a very frustrating process. Your work is inspiring.

I think this is something I need to look into further. Not familiar with sanded boards (a quick google search leads me to some on the dick blick site), I usually just use strathmore pastel or charcoal paper of various colors. I guess I wasn't aware that there were other surfaces out there that are suitable for pastel.

Oh I have used pastel sticks, but not in a long time. Stuff like my old Arlovski and Tanner were using the sticks, but I bought a set of pastel pencils a few months ago so that's what I've been using. I need to set up a studio space again, I literally usually grab a couple pencils and sit down on the floor or on my bed and draw on a drawing board.

Bradu

Id like to get a MMA artist book together. If you're interested shoot me an email case.harts@gmail.com Phone Post

BonquishaBLOOD -  Bradu

Id like to get a MMA artist book together. If you're interested shoot me an email case.harts@gmail.com Phone Post

not entirely sure what you mean but it sounds intriguing. Check your email

bradu -
BonquishaBLOOD -  Bradu

not entirely sure what you mean but it sounds intriguing. Check your email

Il explain more in detail but in a short kind of a art book graphic history. Il email you Phone Post

bradu - 
rjbo71 - By Painting I mean really using something like a sanded board and applying very heavy layers of pastel. Color does not have to be realistic in fact its better if is not in some ways. You absolutely should try sticks - its a blast.

I have considered posting my work but am concerned with revealing too much about myself on here. Also I am have been in the process of trying to reinvent myself for the past year and am not where I want to be. It has been a very frustrating process. Your work is inspiring.

I think this is something I need to look into further. Not familiar with sanded boards (a quick google search leads me to some on the dick blick site), I usually just use strathmore pastel or charcoal paper of various colors. I guess I wasn't aware that there were other surfaces out there that are suitable for pastel.

Oh I have used pastel sticks, but not in a long time. Stuff like my old Arlovski and Tanner were using the sticks, but I bought a set of pastel pencils a few months ago so that's what I've been using. I need to set up a studio space again, I literally usually grab a couple pencils and sit down on the floor or on my bed and draw on a drawing board.

Yeah, they are definitely easier to work with painting with pastels is very messy and requires a somewhat dedicated spot. You can also get sanded paper which is considerably cheaper and if you wanted to - just mount it on foam core with 77 (if you do this mount a piece of newsprint on the opposite side to avoid warping). Another option (and I think you will really like this one) is vellum. The way the pastel lays down on vellum is like airbrush.

Awesome.

Now make the drawing where he's getting his ear licked by a dude. Or was he licking a dude's ear? Can't recall...

great job as always

I'll definitely have to check out vellum! I was looking at that dickblick site last night and I didn't realize how many pastel papers and support options there were! I've always just bought what I can find at the art store, and apparently they don't carry much in stock at most places.