Jiu-Jitsu Brown belt and Purple belt with red bar?

Pinnacle Jiu-Jitsu in Des Moines Iowa has a brown belt with a red bar? The black belt in this academy is AAron Martinez under a black belt named Jason Keaton.

Am I missing something here?

Some schools/associations give out colored belts with red bars to indicate the person is an instructor

kinda crazy, dude got his Blue belt in 2017, purple in 2018, and brown this month.....guy must be a phenom!

mrpfoo -

kinda crazy, dude got his Blue belt in 2017, purple in 2018, and brown this month.....guy must be a phenom!

Don't stammer about all salty and passive aggressive.   Say what you mean, explicitly and with balls.

From looks of it they compete a bunch.  He may be on a fast track but sounds like a really specific non-call out call out from you.

I mean, you didn't randomly pick some club from Des Moines.

2 Likes

Full disclosure: I think that's too fast.  I took nearly 16 yrs to black 

1 Like
mrpfoo -

Definitely sounds fishy, but why do you care? 

1 Like
BTTMike -
mrpfoo -

Definitely sounds fishy, but why do you care? 

maybe he lives in the area and wants to train there, looked u the instructor and then thought it was odd before commiting to a gym?

Brown belts (and definitely Purples) who have the red bar on their belt are often the most annoying type of grappler. The humble bragger.

They want to feel special and elevated above others. To gain respect in an artificial way. 

Not an ideal character trait for someone so close to Black Belt mastery. 

Seldom are the few who actually compete as well FWIW. 

2 Likes
FLOWBEE -

Some schools/associations give out colored belts with red bars to indicate the person is an instructor

This exactly, put your pitchforks & torches away.  I know Keaton personally. IF those are his guys, then they are legit.

1 Like
BTTMike -

Brown belts (and definitely Purples) who have the red bar on their belt are often the most annoying type of grappler. The humble bragger.

They want to feel special and elevated above others. To gain respect in an artificial way. 

Not an ideal character trait for someone so close to Black Belt mastery. 

Seldom are the few who actually compete as well FWIW. 

I had a purple belt with a red bar. We recycle belts in our gym. When you get promoted you just get whatever belt is available. Someone had visited our club at some point and had a purple with a red bar, and he left it behind. I guess I was the first purple promoted after that so my coach gave it to me. I felt like such an idiot wearing it but was too lazy and too cheap to get myself a new one. I was a purple for about 5 years, I think.

pbody - 

I had a purple belt with a red bar. We recycle belts in our gym. When you get promoted you just get whatever belt is available. Someone had visited our club at some point and had a purple with a red bar, and he left it behind. I guess I was the first purple promoted after that so my coach gave it to me. I felt like such an idiot wearing it but was too lazy and too cheap to get myself a new one. I was a purple for about 5 years, I think.

you wore a purple belt that you hated for 5 years? you couldnt save up $12 and do 5 clicks on ebay for another belt????? Do you train in Des Moinse by chance????? 

We have red sheaths on our belts if we are the club owner/head instructor.

i have one on my brown belt, could have had on my blue and purple too.  Just means I am the boss of a club 

checkuroil -

That's funny. He did a seminar at our school a while back and was still wearing the red belt. Nice guy.

Red bars on any belt besides black is quite silly.

“No I’m not just a blue belt bro. I’m a future black belt.”

PeoriaBJJ -
pbody - 

you wore a purple belt that you hated for 5 years? you couldnt save up $12 and do 5 clicks on ebay for another belt????? Do you train in Des Moinse by chance????? 

If I competed or travelled and visited schools often I definitely would have. I train at an MMA school that has produced several UFC fighters (not in Iowa haha). We're not really traditional, so at first I didn't care that much about the belt. For example, after blue belt neck cranks and all leg locks are allowed, including heel hooks in gi. Then after a while I really started hating it but I assumed at some point soon I'd be a brown belt so why bother. Now I get to make fun of the purple belt that's currently using it.

You guys care way too much about belts. 

Hell, you care too much about what another human is doing with their OWN life. 

1 Like