Joe Lewis vs. Helio Gracie

Is it really true that Helio challenged Joe Lewis to a NHB fight, and Lewis declined? In my opinion, the brown bomber would have most likely handed Helio's ass to him, but what do you all think? Just wanted to see other peoples opinions on how that would have turned out, considering the strengths/weaknesses of each fighter.

This is just my opinion, and I know some will be offended, but this is AMERICA.

1 Like

LMAO. I am 100% confident that Helio would have won.

Clarification:

Joe LOUIS is the boxer.

Joe LEWIS is the karate guy.

On with the discussion.

1 Like

Well for clarification sake Helio challenged:

Joe LOUIS not Joe Lewis.

see Royce Gracie v. Art Jimmerson in UFC I for a clue how the match would go

1 Like

Even if someone were to beat Helio Gracie, would they really "win?"

1 Like

Joe Louis didn't decline. He probably never even heard of Helio. Why would he fight Helio?

1 Like

ditto - PLEASE DON't COMPARE ART JIMMERSON TO JOE LOUIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Helio. Did you miss UFC 1 to 5?

Helio. Did you miss UFC 1 to 5?

I would probably put money now on Helio versus Joe Lewis in his prime. I very briefly rolled with him in a seminar a few months ago, he didn't create Rickson, Rolls, Rorion, Royce, etc. by being a chump.

Funny stuff TT (Joe Louis-Joe Lewis)
Helio by Choke!!

you are right about comparing Art Jimmerson to Joe Louis. I respectively apologize :)

In Grappling Mag's latest (I believe) issue, Helio says that he challenged Joe Louis, but Louis declined because he was so much bigger. Also, Helio said JL would have killed him with one punch, which I believe to be true. I love BJJ, but it means nothing if you can't get somebody to the ground really. Joe Louis by knockout.

1 Like

I don't think it would be very hard for Helio to clinch and get Joe Louis to the ground

classic gracie jiu-jitsu is ideal for taking out boxing-trained strikers. It doesn't matter how good a boxer Joe Louis was, since after the clinch, the fight would take place on the ground.

Helio would get the moral victory

1 Like

The closest proxy for this we have on tape is probably Gene LeBell vs Milo Savage.

Lewis gets taken down and subbed in under a minute.

Even great modern boxers who’ve trained grappling like Jake Paul know how it would go down fighting under mma rules which is why they tuck.

Did Helio ever compete under MMA rules ? :wink: