Jon Jones 2011 better than Shogun 2005?

Until now Shogun has held the title of having the best single year in mixed martial arts when he won the middleweight GP in 2005 with victories over Rampage, Lil Nog, Alistair Overeem, and Ricardo Arona.

But after last night, do you think Jon Jones has officially taken over that title with his 2011 victories over Ryan Bader, Shogun, Rampage, and Machida?

yes

Better skills? debatable.

The reason Jones owns all is because he is a physical freak. He has longer reach than all the hws.

So yeh he is a better fighter.

For sure.

fannypack - close, but yes

^ Phone Post

Yep. Phone Post

Definitely. Phone Post

Has to be.

Follow up question - are Jon Jones' elbows from the guard nastier than the previous GOAT of elbows Tito Ortiz?

Not with Bader on there.....eh fuck it maybe

More like a tie.

Jones needs one more victory over a top rated fighter to better it.

Of course.

Alistair had done nothing at 205 but lose whenever he fought a top guy. Vitor is the only significant fighter he EVER beat at 205. 

Even Rogero had not done much aside from beating Dan in the first round, and his fight with Shogun ended in a decision that could have gone either way.

Both guys beat Rampgae, that's a wash.

Shogun is better than Arona, so that's a better win for Jones.

Lyoto is better than Rogerio, so that's a better win for Jones (especially since he choked him unconscious in round 2 rather than going to split decision).

Bader is not far behind 205 Alistair, if at all. In fact Bader was undefeated.

Cooler. No. Phone Post

OriginalTUFer - Jon Jones had the greatest year in MMA history.

Shogun had the better year but Jones just did it in style and more dominantly. So what I'm basically saying is that Shogun beat what I consider legends, two of which in ONE night.

Yes Phone Post

rosario00 - Shogun had the better year but Jones just did it in style and more dominantly. So what I'm basically saying is that Shogun beat what I consider legends, two of which in ONE night.

You consider Alistair Overeem a 205 legend?

Not a fan of Jones, but his 2011 is more impressive than Shogun's 2005. If Jones stays healthy and keeps his mind right, he can become the GOAT.

irishrottie - Better skills? debatable.

The reason Jones owns all is because he is a physical freak. He has longer reach than all the hws.

So yeh he is a better fighter.

It's not just his reach. The reach helps but the amazing takedowns and ability to stay composed and transition so well from striking to grappling to submissions are huge factors.

orcus -
rosario00 - Shogun had the better year but Jones just did it in style and more dominantly. So what I'm basically saying is that Shogun beat what I consider legends, two of which in ONE night.

You consider Alistair Overeem a 205 legend?

Not really.. I really just mean bigger names and I tend to favor anything older from a historical standpoint Phone Post