Jose Conseco gets Rung Up

Anyone whose prefight highlight reel consists solely of home run footage and the mention of a fling with Madonna probably doesn't belong inside a ring. But those who thought MLB player-turned-future Bellevue resident Jose Canseco would look less effective than a corpse against Hong Man Choi were proven wrong Tuesday morning. For approximately 15 seconds.

<!-- end wide photo -->

MORE?

Canseco takes a rematch after his knee heals.  He showed me a lot in there.

SATANAS - at least jose got in there and fought unlike a slew of other celebrities who like to speculate on how much ass they'd alledgedly kick in mma...props to jose for getting in there cause he sure as fuck doesnt need the money

I'll give him that. Still think he's a rat but at least he has the stones to actually fight. Man I can't count on fingers and toes the number of celebrities that need a good slap in the mouth.

SATANAS - at least jose got in there and fought unlike a slew of other celebrities who like to speculate on how much ass they'd alledgedly kick in mma...props to jose for getting in there cause he sure as fuck doesnt need the money

um, he did it cause he's broke. He already stated that.

Conseco:

"You have no idea how scary it was facing a man that big".

I would actually like to see him against someone who is also a novice, not 7 feet and a hundred pounds heavier and not already a pro kickboxer.

Would be more fair and a better assesment of his skills.

I mean..he did a little better than Bob Sapp that night and lasted longer than Kimbo against Seth last year.

I was pleasantly shocked and surprised when he came out and clocked Choi in the head at the start of the fight

SATANAS - 
scourge - 

um, he did it cause he's broke. He already stated that.

im sure someone who was once considered on of the best baseball players of all has a different perspective on what it is to be broke...jose's got fucking tons of money, just not what he was the steady flow he got accustomed to while he was the face of the A's...and anyways there are plenty of avenues for jose to make money, he was on the surreal life ffs.

well this I can agree with. Broke to them is not the same as broke to us

Jose almost lived the dream and KOed Choi...he deserves another shot! Let him fight Wakashoyo or something"...or Akebono, if they can get him.

anyone have a clip of the fight..?

OneSidedWar - anyone have a clip of the fight..?

It can be found on this thread.

How did the Canseco fight go down ?

(61) [1919] by mrzipplokk

actually he is broke.According to him,his house was in forclosure and he was living in an apt. paying rent.He lost a ton in the divorce and he made terrible investments.He's broke.

SATANAS - cause he sure as fuck doesnt need the money

uhh what? dude says himself he is dead broke

I don't blame the guy for taking the check. I blame the company for offering it to him.
I assume they'll be promoting Dustin Diamond vs Danny Bonaduce next.

VI. Falling on Hard Times

Canseco earned over $45 million during his major league career. However, he somehow managed to piss away his personal fortune and is desperate for money. He sold his 1988 AL MVP award plaque for $30,000 and his Rookie of the Year ring for $5,100 on eBay.

He was sentenced to two years of house arrest for his role in the 2001 nightclub brawl and in 2003 auctioned an afternoon with himself on eBay with bids starting at $2,500.

VII. Conclusion

Canseco is broke and bitter about how his baseball career turned out. He also claims that there was an anti-Cuban conspiracy against him to hold him down. I don't believe his allegations, as in the late-1980s he was the favorite player of many of the kids I knew. The media loved him and he even had a brief relationship with Madonna.

I think he should be commended for coming forward and exposing the use of performance enhancing drugs in baseball. That's apparently not good enough for Canseco, as he seems to want everyone associated with professional baseball to come forward and kiss his ass. The guy made a fortune during his career but blew through it quickly and will now do anything for a few bucks. He even stooped so low as to appear on the Surreal Life for $50,000 in 2005.

Canseco was undoubtedly the best player during the late 1980s and threw it all away to become a destitute laughingstock, all within the matter of a few years. Accordingly, there should be no doubt that Jose Canseco is one washed-up sports celebrity!

*** Update - May 1, 2008

It was reported today that Jose Canseco lost his $2.5 million mansion in Encino, CA to foreclosure today. Canseco said that he owed more than what the mansion is worth and that it made financial sense for him to simply walk away from his home. It's simply amazing to me that someone who made more than $45 million from playing major league baseball blew through his vast fortune already. I guess that's why he's a washed-up sports celebrity!

Update - July 24, 2008 ***

Jose Canseco is so hard up for money that he has begun appearing in celebrity boxing matches. On July 12, 2008, Canseco stepped into the ring with Vai Sikahema, a former NFL running back/kicker. The 44-year old Canseco, at 6'4" tall, towered over the 5'9" tall Sikahema. Canseco must have thought that this would be an easy fight. Canseco, however, was terribly mistaken as he got his ass kicked and was knocked out a mere 97 seconds into the first round. When asked about Canseco's size advantage, Sikahema said, "Whatever size advantage he had it was negated by his stupidity."

http://washedupcelebrities.blogspot.com/2007/08/jose-canseco.html

I agree he showed pure nuts getting in there with Hong Man Choi. He got thrown to the wolves

On the other hand, this was for money. Jose has had tons of legal trouble and owes big. 

Either way, what a crazy way to earn some cash. How much did Canseco make in this fight? anybody?

Props to Jose for even getting in the Ring!

I seriously thought he would not do it.

The next paycheck for Jose Canseco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4JcuCu4r18

could a bluenamer please post.

What kind of moron would be impressed by Cansecos performance? He threw a couple shitty right hands and some ridiculous looking kicks. And that leg injury was fake as fuck.

Tough competition to start with.  Reminds me of a young Dong Sik Yoon.