JUDO AT THE GRACIE YOUTH AND SENIOR NATIONALS

We bought about 20 kids and seniors to the Gracie's Youth and Senior Nstionals this weekend and they really cleaned house. I should metion that these kids and adults were comprise from different judo and bjj clubs that train with us on weekends. I can't count the number of times parents, competitors, and instructor complemented our group about their ability to combine bjj,sambo, and judo. If anyone attended this event I would like to hear about their experiences. Ross (judo bb fought in the black belt division) sorry I could not stay but i heard you submitted a couple of bjj bb. I have post some of match on crystal's youtube account and still have 30 more matches to post. Here is the link.<br /><br />http://www.youtube.com/user/CrystalBJudo?feature=mhum#p/u/4/5sK-Ov5YjLI

That was awesome!!

It's funny how throws tend to demoralize people. ;)

What club(s) do you/those kids represent?

Missing Glove Tape - That was awesome!!

It's funny how throws tend to demoralize people. ;)

What club(s) do you/those kids represent?

los angles city college, team garcia jiu-jitsu, millenia, empire judo, paulo augusto bjj, sawtele judo, mojica judo

Garry- really appreciate watching the matches. Crystal's style reminds me Kayla Harrison, where Erin's reminds me of Rhonda- but kicker. I wonder how those boys feel after gettting it handed to them. Erin's technique is very advanced. Please post more matches especially the seniors. Ross ?. Would like to see his matches. Like the USA judo on the back of the gi's. Thanks once again.

<blockquote>judoblackbelt - Garry- really appreciate watching the matches. Crystal's style reminds me Kayla Harrison, where Erin's reminds me of Rhonda- but kicker. I wonder how those boys feel after gettting it handed to them. Erin's technique is very advanced. Please post more matches especially the seniors. Ross ?. Would like to see his matches. Like the USA judo on the back of the gi's. Thanks once again.

Ross Mcbasiey. I have about 15 more videos to post, I'm trying to post 3 or 4 every day.I did not record Ross' matches i had to leave

Erin's an animal but Crystal's nogi match was my favorite. Loved seeing her do as she pleased, forcing a buttflopper to standup repeated. The look on blondie's face at ~3:55 is priceless. She's like, "no fair! you're supposed to sit down on the ground when I do. duh!". And then at like 4:45 blondie's looking up at her like, "why won't you play the right way?", and at ~5:05 Crystal's like, "THIS is why...", and at 5:18 blondie looks up at the ref like, "will you please help me?". By 5:58 blondie's like, "this ain't fun(ny) anymore", and at ~6:10 she's like, "I really don't like judo(ka)..."

What was the casualty count for the tournament? Crystal's harai looked like it gave that one chick a concussion and Nathan's nogi ouchi-gari looked like it turned girlie into a man-hater for life! ;)

btw, I checked out some lacc videos on youtube. Seems like a really nice club. But, I'm curious. Do you know what the deal is/was with the "b'earthday" clip re: the white to blue gi change? That was gold!

judoblackbelt - Like the USA judo on the back of the gi's.

Agreed. It's powerful stament...both to represent judo and let all the buttfloppers know that today is not their day.

well, to be fair, it's the Gracie youth nationals. is that bjj? there's no point in showing up the butt flopper in the standup. should take it as an opportunity to let the newaza shine.

they did awesome though. really ahead of the others.

Empire -  there's no point in showing up the butt flopper in the standup. should take it as an opportunity to let the newaza shine.

^Thinking like this is what's wrong with bjj today.

All matches begin on the feet, do they not? Then every match is an opportunity to let ALL of your skills shine.

i agree with you.

the "Gracie" had me thinking though she should've schooled her w/ some nice passing and a sub.

Did you watch the match? You can't finish everybody, but she did an excellent job passing guard and dominating with yoko shiho/kuzure kesa(even a little soj action), especially after the throw.

I just got a particular kick out of watching the match because it was like watching TrainJudo's "defeating the guard" video come to life! ;)

In watching the match, while I do say that Crystal did a great job, her opponent really didn't put on a great display of ground grappling herself. It seemed that, once she was on her back and Crystal was in yoko shiho or kuzure kesa gatame, all the girl knew how to do was the leg up defense to prevent Crystal going into full mount. I didn't really see her try and shrimping or other techniques to work her legs back inside and try and establish at least a half guard past the first minute or so.

Great matches, congrats to the fighters and their coaches!
I think more judo schools should look for BJJ tournaments It will only force everyone to have a better game and be a more complete fighter.

Empire- I think they showed them up on the ground also.
Garry- I thought it was Ross MacBaisey. He is one tough guy. I remember 1st seeing him as Leo White student 3-4 years ago and my impression was he is one tuff kid. A lot a braun in his makeup. I last saw him fight in the Presidents cup last June here in Michigan, he took one of the thrid place finishes. He is no longer ranked in USA judo but will probably see him at the Nationals this year.
Empire- There is something to be said for how our young judo national level players skill/toughness translates well into BJJ. Is there any video of Ross's matches?

What sets up better top position than a great takedown or throw? :)

Bull_in_chinashop -  What sets up better top position than a great takedown or throw? :)

kicking the guy in the nuts.

judoblackbelt - Empire- I think they showed them up on the ground also.
Garry- I thought it was Ross MacBaisey. He is one tough guy. I remember 1st seeing him as Leo White student 3-4 years ago and my impression was he is one tuff kid. A lot a braun in his makeup. I last saw him fight in the Presidents cup last June here in Michigan, he took one of the thrid place finishes. He is no longer ranked in USA judo but will probably see him at the Nationals this year.
Empire- There is something to be said for how our young judo national level players skill/toughness translates well into BJJ. Is there any video of Ross's matches?

i want to be clear. the girls in the videos (judo girls) were phenomenal. just saying, sub the girl. would've been sweet victory. it's sort of our "ippon" ;)

i will say this about facing the good judoka/wrestler:

it really is demoralizing knowing that you will HAVE to play off your back. it's such a shitty feeling. usually i'm on top but ever so often there's that guy who is just flat out better in the standup and you feel pretty shitty.

i want to be clear. the girls in the videos (judo girls) were phenomenal. just saying, sub the girl. would've been sweet victory. it's sort of our "ippon" ;)

empire- Erin submitted everyone in both no-gi and gi except one of her teammates. I told Crystal not to submit in anyone in her gi division until the last minute of the match. I want her to work on her throws because she has some big judo tournaments coming up. She did sumbit everyone one in her gi division except one girl/women.
when she fought in the no-gi division she dislocated her index finger in her first match and was having trouble gripping/grabbing but she still went 5-1.

Empire - 
judoblackbelt - Empire- I think they showed them up on the ground also.

I also think that submitting someone is the ultimate goal in every grappling event

I always thought the ultimate goal of any event was to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women?