Judo competition video

This is when BJJ training pays off in Judo competition.They fought in the Juniors and Seniors advance division for the first time. Most fights on the seniors division were won by subs. They both finished in 3rd in the seniors division and 1st in the Juniors division.
Blue name please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYrrdhhG8w4

Very cool Judo in motion.  Congrates to your kids. 

Andre, hope you post on the judo forum. Alex has grown up(taller). Madison is one heck of a tomenage. Congrats on your fine teaching.

Thanks chipW and JBB. I'll go ahead and post it there as well. We didn't get the chance to video tape all their subs. Madison did a flying armbar but got a shido.

judoinmotion - Thanks chipW and JBB. I'll go ahead and post it there as well. We didn't get the chance to video tape all their subs. Madison did a flying armbar but got a shido.

What's a shido Phone Post

Shido is a penalty in Judo.

Thanks...great stuff by the way Phone Post

is it just that competition, but it seems like they let a lot more action happen on the ground as compared to olympic level competition

Sometimes yes there is more action at a local tournament on the ground where the defensive skills levels are not equal. Opponents are not interested in conserving energy or avoiding ground attacks is part of the a strategy. At the Olympic level guys are many times equally skilled defensively or do not pursue a ground attack to conserve energy or if they are behind in the score it is easier to score standing. Having to possibly fight 5/6 opponents or getting into the loser pool and having 2 addition fights. Local tournaments are 3/4 minutes a match. Olympic level matches are 5 minutes. There is no loser's pool at locals, double elimination or round robin(you fight everyone once).

At least here in IL the refs are allowing more time in newaza.

hey, great tournament result!

seems like a great idea for the development of young grappling students: train them primarily with effective ground work (and good ne waza and ne waza defence, too) and have them compete in judo often rather than exclusively bjj tournaments. the result being they grow up with no fear of takedowns or transitioning to the ground, so when they're more mature they'll be much more well-rounded and experienced when they compete in big bjj tournaments.. (in my opinion don't keep competing exclusively in judo as a senior, it's too specialized now that they took out leg attacks)

2.40 of the vid. are you allowed guillotines in judo?

Great tomoe-nage's by the Madison player.

First match should have been a matte because they were out of bounds though.

dojo stormer - 2.40 of the vid. are you allowed guillotines in judo?

Yeah: I was shocked when that woman wailed "You can't crank the neck...!" that there wasn't two minutes of heated debate, before the kid was DQ'd (even though it was a strangle).

holdyer gound - new 2013 rule if the throw/mat work starts in bounds and goes out of bounds the match continues.

Guillotine choke: there are "safety rules in judo and one of them is: Any action which may injure, especially spine and/or Any action against the spirit of Judo.
From what I saw I would have DQ'd the bottom player. Did he tap from the choke of the neck pressure? And what makes it difficult it is a DQ for the match. Not a shito(penalty).

I have never seen a quillotine choke in a judo book where chokes are illustrated/discussed. Need more qualified referee opionions on this one.

I won a gold medal match in a local rinky dink tourney via guillotine which was later declared a no-contest after my opponent complained about the technique.

judoblackbelt - holdyer gound - new 2013 rule if the throw/mat work starts in bounds and goes out of bounds the match continues.

Guillotine choke: there are "safety rules in judo and one of them is: Any action which may injure, especially spine and/or Any action against the spirit of Judo.
From what I saw I would have DQ'd the bottom player. Did he tap from the choke of the neck pressure? And what makes it difficult it is a DQ for the match. Not a shito(penalty).

I have never seen a quillotine choke in a judo book where chokes are illustrated/discussed. Need more qualified referee opionions on this one.

Was thinking the same thing. How the Hell did he get away with that?

Guillotine, I believe, is a legal technique. It is called Mae Hadaka Jime according to this Judoinfo article. http://judoinfo.com/chokes.htm

When it comes to training in the gi, guillotines are a rare technique even in BJJ. Combine this with the uselessness of a front headlock in Judo, the fact that countering a morote gari (when it was legal) with a guillotine would end with you Ipponed, and the way Judo players protect their neck while stalling in a turtle position make this technique completely impractical to practice for your competition. Thats my theory why you never see it.

Danger to the spine, as always, is a matter of referee interpretation. Neck cranks are illegal in IBJJF tournaments too, but the referees are more familiar with the position. As a ref I believe you should be able to see the angle of uke's neck to make a distinction if its a crank or choke . Pulling the head during Sankaku Jime also has a problem with referee interpretation.

Good research HYG- I found it(Mae Hadaka jime) in the Canon of Judo Book page 128 but it is illustrated from a standing position. I don't want to get technical here and I am not at that level to give a 100% yes/no. You are not holding the opponents body with your legs and pulling down/stretching the opponents head/neck from the spine. I have yet to see a guillotine choke illustrated/taught as was in the above video in judo.

The guillotine caused controversy but the ref gave the match to Madison. I don't know if the guillotine, the way it was applied could be considered illegal or not. I sent the video to an A referee who has yet to give me an answer. A guillotine choke where you have an arm and and a neck while putting pressure on the side of the neck, is not a neck crank. It may cause pressure and discomfort like a neck crank the same way a arm triangle, anaconda, brabo choke and even a leg triangle would. In all of those cases, you are blocking the carotid artery thus characterizing as a blood choke.
I had asked a ref before about a flying arm bar who told me it was perfectly legal, yet during this competition Madison got a shido for it.
Gentlemen, as I said, I wont argue the legitimacy of the technique, perhaps, the refs were caught off guard by not been familiar with these techniques in Judo since we use them often in BJJ, however, expect to see more and more of these techniques in Judo competition from them in particular in the adult's division, it will be the differential factor and we will learn as we go.