Judo in Africa

I've noticed that several judoka from African countries (Chad, Nigeria) have signed up for some of the upcoming IJF events. Got me thinking as to why these countries, and the many other in Africa, have not had a bigger presence in the IJF circuit. I know some African countries produce top level judoka, but you rarely see them (Niang from Morocco being an exception) on the podium at a major IJF event. I wonder if this will change now that the IJF world tour has expanded to Africa.     

Found this tweet from the President of the IJF: March 4 2019.

The @IntJudoFed tour moves on to North Africa this week. There's currently 487 judoka registered from 71 countries. This will be a new participation record for the IJF in Africa.

http://www.africajudo.org/

I don't know any more than you.

I'm excited to see more African countries join the IJF world tour. The ever expanding IJF diversity and talent pool is one thing that makes judo such an awesome sport. 

Can't say it better.  The judokas need backing/funding from their government or Olympic body (if they have one).  The training, travel and competition on  a world scale to be competitive is  very expensive and a basic requirement.  Nick Delpopolo is always looking for "go fund me" donations.  You have to be successful (medal winner) in the US for funding.   From 2018: 

U.S. Olympians, for example, will earn (bonus money) $37,500 for each gold medal they win this year, $22,500 for each silver and $15,000 for each bronze.

USA Judo doesn't get goverment funding, relies on private fundraising.  Which puts USA judo at a disadvantage to other coutries. So they are going to invest were they can get results(medals).

Read Delopolo's article on no Olympic funding, Jan. 2019.  Travis is mentioned in the article.

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/judo-olympian-says-hes-receiving-no-funding-from-usa-judo-for-upcoming-olympic-qualifiers/

At the Turkey Grand Prix this weekend the 14 gold medals (7 male, 7 female) were won by 14 different countries. Talk about diversity! An African judoka from the Ivory Coast also beat his Russian opponent in the first round of the -100 division. 

Aaron we had a guy training that was from the Congo. He was pretty good, practiced Uchi-Komi on both sides all the time and would have huge warm ups despite language barriers.  My instructor thought he was kind of average but at 38 this guys had all kinds of speed. I don't think he was a national player though. He said the guys in his country had a great work ethic.

judoblackbelt -

Can't say it better.  The judokas need backing/funding from their government or Olympic body (if they have one).  The training, travel and competition on  a world scale to be competitive is  very expensive and a basic requirement.  Nick Delpopolo is always looking for "go fund me" donations.  You have to be successful (medal winner) in the US for funding.   From 2018: 

U.S. Olympians, for example, will earn (bonus money) $37,500 for each gold medal they win this year, $22,500 for each silver and $15,000 for each bronze.

USA Judo doesn't get goverment funding, relies on private fundraising.  Which puts USA judo at a disadvantage to other coutries. So they are going to invest were they can get results(medals).

Read Delopolo's article on no Olympic funding, Jan. 2019.  Travis is mentioned in the article.

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/judo-olympian-says-hes-receiving-no-funding-from-usa-judo-for-upcoming-olympic-qualifiers/

When I went to a Travis Stevens seminar last year I believe he mentioned (I could be wrong) that he received a decent stipend from the U.S. Olympic Committee and that U.S.A. Judo was just the middle man. I've also heard him say in other interviews that the money he received was enough to get by and cover his expenses. 

I went to one two years ago January of 2017 and I don't remember him mentioning at Kintora in Buffalo NY where there was a Q and A after the seminar. Nick as to struggle and he is getting up there in age. I kind of feel bad as he was nice to me at the seminar.

I just read an interview with Priscilla Gneto (2017 European Champion, 2012 Olympic Bronze Medalist) in which she states she is helping start a youth judo program in Abidjan which is the capital of the Ivory Coast. Priscilla competes for the French National judo team, but is from the Ivory Coast.  

Makes sense, she was born in the West African country of Côte d'Ivoire whose capital is Abidjan.  Judo is ever expanding.  Our church has a sister parish in Tanzania, Africa.  Members volunteer for missionary work there now every 2/3 years for 3 weeks.  Our former priest asked me to go back in 2016.  I think to expose the youth to judo was my role.   The trip is a long one.  a bus trip to Chicago, 3 plane changes  plus a 5 hr. bus ride to the parish in Kahama, Tanzania. 48 hrs of non stop travel each way.  Wasn't confident I could handle the trip. 

This past weekend at the Montreal Grand Prix Egypt's Ramadan Darwish took gold in the men's -100kg while Morocco's Imad Bassou and Aziza Chakir had good showings as well finishing 5th and 7th in their respective divisions. Great to see!!!!

The expansion of judo can happen in places like Africa.  Also a place like India developing athletes at the IJF level.  

My favorite female judoka in the 52kg division Soumiya Iraoui from Morocco took bronze at this weekends Tashkent Grand Prix winning four matches on her way to the podium. This is her second round matchup against a tough Hungarian opponent where she hits a beautiful ippon at the end. I love Soumiya's explosive attacking style, fighting spirit, and bounce in her step.  

https://youtu.be/3AXJDZO0EDs?t=548

Damn not an easy throw to get either.

I watched her semifinal against the Mongolian and Bronze match.  She is a tenacious fighter always attacking and high energy.  She is tuff, constantly "on". Some of her attacks usually double sleeve morote seionage very good and others are weak leaving her open to counter attack like against the Mongoilan.  She needs more discipline in her game and more techniques that can score. Don't see the "polish". Time will tell but she is 23 yrs. old. Usually your game is figured out by this age.  

judoblackbelt - 

I watched her semifinal against the Mongolian and Bronze match.  She is a tenacious fighter always attacking and high energy.  She is tuff, constantly "on". Some of her attacks usually double sleeve morote seionage very good and others are weak leaving her open to counter attack like against the Mongoilan.  She needs more discipline in her game and more techniques that can score. Don't see the "polish". Time will tell but she is 23 yrs. old. Usually your game is figured out by this age.  

Great analysis judoblackbelt. She is my favorite 52kg’r but your analysis seems right on point. She will have a hard time beating the toughest in her division but that won’t stop me from cheering for her. She’s not one to play defensive judo and I love how she never stops moving. You have to respect someone like that.

She definetly can beat lower seeds like she did against Pupp(Hun).  You are in a fight with her for sure. She attacks and you better be on your game against her or you get thumped like Pupp. The real good players have to be a little cautious of her style and maybe counter her attacks. Haven't seen enough video of her against top ten seeded players. She knows her strength ( attacking), caution to the wind.

judoblackbelt -

She definetly can beat lower seeds like she did against Pupp(Hun).  You are in a fight with her for sure. She attacks and you better be on your game against her or you get thumped like Pupp. The real good players have to be a little cautious of her style and maybe counter her attacks. Haven't seen enough video of her against top ten seeded players. She knows her strength ( attacking), caution to the wind.

Yeah, sometimes she doesn't make it out of the first round, but she is an explosive thrower and she can hit beautiful ippons on lower seeded opponents like she does in this match at the 2018 World Championships.  

https://youtu.be/RR-FehWIoIU?t=286

Aaron Lapointe -
judoblackbelt - 

Great analysis judoblackbelt. She is my favorite 52kg’r but your analysis seems right on point. She will have a hard time beating the toughest in her division but that won’t stop me from cheering for her. She’s not one to play defensive judo and I love how she never stops moving. You have to respect someone like that.

I’m also probably a little bit partial towards her because I met her.  

1 Like