Judo instructionals

Made this thread on the Judo subforum but that is like a wasteland over there.

I just took my first formal Judo class tonight and I was hoping that someone could give me some suggestions on what some excellent Judo instructionals I could acquire might be.

So far what is available to me is the Mastering Judo series and Neil Adams’ Judo Excellence. There are a bunch of others but just curious what would be good for a beginner with 12 years of BJJ to boot.

Mike Swain’s complete judo explains the whole gokyo and

Koga’s new wind series has some great explanations regarding Seionage, Sode, and Kouchi gari.

Focus on developing first proper ukemi skills backfalls, sidefalls (yoko ukemi) and forward roll break fall (zempo kaiten).

Other thing that’s often neglected is how you walk on the tatami. Some people cross their feet or just walk normally which makes it easier to sweep them. Learn how to walk as a judoka draggin the balls of your feet on the ground at shoulder height. This is called Ayumi ashi or Tsugi ashi.

Just try get the basics of throws like Kuzushi(unbalance), Tsukuri(entry), Kake(finish). Enjoy the ride.

Get Camarillo’s Guerrilla (sp) Jiu-Jitsu.

ewen beaton is great for beginners.

https://www.toraki.com/ca/en/asp/detail.asp?id=21101&parentid=330&HasMeasurements=0

swain’s video, he had some on century martial arts, i don’t remember if it’s the complete series.

neil adams has some great dvds as well.

judo man - Mike Swain's complete judo explains the whole gokyo and

Koga’s new wind series has some great explanations regarding Seionage, Sode, and Kouchi gari.

Focus on developing first proper ukemi skills backfalls, sidefalls (yoko ukemi) and forward roll break fall (zempo kaiten).

Other thing that’s often neglected is how you walk on the tatami. Some people cross their feet or just walk normally which makes it easier to sweep them. Learn how to walk as a judoka draggin the balls of your feet on the ground at shoulder height. This is called Ayumi ashi or Tsugi ashi.

Just try get the basics of throws like Kuzushi(unbalance), Tsukuri(entry), Kake(finish). Enjoy the ride.

Thankyou.

Dragging balls of feet on the ground at shoulder height? Not sure I follow.

But even from my days of muay thai, I do not tightrope my feet.

Although I knew basic break falling, there was a lot more to it. But practice practice practice.

carcaju -

Thankyou.

Although I knew basic break falling, there was a lot more to it. But practice practice practice.

Only people with balls big enough to drag on the ground understand what he’s saying there little guy

carcaju - 

Thankyou.

Here are some videos demostrating what I was trying to say regarding walking on the mat.

Solo Drills

Deashibarai drills when you feet are caught off the ground. You get airborne.

Here’s a Matt Aquino pulling off an armbar from a desashibarai.

Dude crosses his feet.

Hope this helps.

http://takedownblueprint.com/

Pedro and Travis Stevens

DVD’s don’t help really with Judo.

What I suggest is to pick 2 throws: 1 forward and 1 backward, e.g., seio-nage forward and kouchi-gari back and practice those pretty much for a while. After a year start working on grips. That is about it.

things to see people to do - 
carcaju -

Thankyou.

Only people with balls big enough to drag on the ground understand what he’s saying there little guy

If your balls are dragging AND they are at shoulder height, then you should see a DR buddy.

judom2 - DVD's don't help really with Judo.

What I suggest is to pick 2 throws: 1 forward and 1 backward, e.g., seio-nage forward and kouchi-gari back and practice those pretty much for a while. After a year start working on grips. That is about it.

Gold!

carcaju - 
things to see people to do - 
carcaju -

Thankyou.

If your balls are dragging AND they are at shoulder height, then you should see a DR buddy.

What a meant is that you drag your feet at shoulder width apart never crossing or putting them together. Don’t walk like your normally do. Lifting your feet from the ground.

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted in English. I didn’t proofread. My bad

nowaydo - 
	What I suggest is to pick 2 throws: 1 forward and 1 backward, e.g., seio-nage forward and kouchi-gari back and practice those pretty much for a while. After a year start working on grips. That is about it.</span></span></blockquote>

<span class="User-216100" id="userPost61645718">Gold!</span></blockquote>
This.

Took me a year of practicing ippon seoi nage to hit it on a live resisting opponent.  And i still suck at it.

13 years of doing this (1x a week) and all i have to show for it is an ok yoko-tomoe nage, a slightly better drop seoi nage and a slightly effective deashi barai.

I think they’re long out of print but Steven Cunningham put out a two volume instructional on judo that is one of the best I’ve seen.

The tapes had a great format, he broke down the technique into detail, then covered combos with the tech, then counters.

Anything by Vlad Koulikov (sambo) is great and more practical for BJJ than judo IMO due to judo’s extensive gripping rules.

Definitely this, though if you want a DVD on grips get the one by Jimmy Pedro (not the set with Rhadi).  Good for BJJers too. 

Anybody ever see Matt D'Aquino's videos? THey seem interesting

Does anyone know where I can get the Steven Cunningham videos? Thank you!

I think Judo DVDs help more than BJJ ones (especially the Fighting Films ones), simply because they breakdown and explain the techniques better. Even without subtitles, Koga's seoi-nage instructional is clearer and more detailed than 75% of BJJ sets.

James

I know