Judo is just a sport.

if he tries to punch me and i throw him and he hits his head and its obvious that there was a solid effect AND THEN i kick his face in.. well, maybe that was a bit much.

if i'm defending myself or a friend or my lady or some innocent person and am forced to throw somebody and fuck up his arm, leg, back, skull, knock the wind out or break a rib.. well, whatever. i dont care. flat out, dont be a criminal and you wont get hurt.

in the immortal words of Pulp Fiction "he had to expect a reaction... he fuckin shoulda known fuckin better"

-resnick

"Pulp Fiction", now there is a classic. I dug the dance scene with the twist and the Cat Woman moves.

If I caught an intruder in my house in the middle of the night with my little girl sleeping in her room I would not only kill the dude I would take great "sport" in it.

walt, that is a great scene.. even better is the one just after it when they have to plunge a hyperdermic needle into uma thurman to save her life.. great movie. =)

-resnick

who really cares.

I'll let other pontificate and analyze. I know what I do and how I can apply it to MANY situations in my life. from everything from slipping on the ice to fighting for my life, to taking a fall to avoid injury to my fellow friends to learning the life lessons of being in trouble and wanting to quit, but reaching down inside and pulling up something more than you capable of to escape and get back to your feet. (read thread "batsugun" for my last remark that taught me an important lesson about myself)

If these things are sport. so be it, but to me it's "do" - the way.

Judo is just a sport, just like MMA is just a sport, and BJJ is just a sport, and boxing, and wrestling. So what? All can be used for "the street".

Hey, Kotannuki, cool name. Are you a small Tannuki? Do you know the "Tannuki Song"?

And also, you must be pretty old to have been around to know how Kano practiced Judo. Tell us, what was the old man like?

Ben R.

i did consider myself a Bjj guy before a judoka, but i would rather have someone on the street jump to guard than throw me into a brick wall and proceed to kick me in the head

Judo IS a sport.

But so is boxing, Muay Thai, Catch-as-catch-can, Sambo, etc.

And I would NOT want to fight anyone who is really good in ANY of the above.

PERIOD.

That "Kotannuki" dude is wound a little tight....

Nice post EricM. Nice...

Personally, I always have to laugh when I see "posts" like EricM's. The, "you should be training not talking on the internet" posts...Not that I don't understand his point,but honestly, you have to be here to make that point..Shouldn't you be training?..lol.

who cares. lets fight.

I've said this before:

Let's say, for the sake of argument that Judo is just a sport.

...SO??

Same goes for the opposite argument.

judo kicks ass.

btw...i do bjj.

-grap

This thread shows good insight into human nature;

For years mainstream media had no time for grappling arts & thought the only way to win a fight was to break skin on some guys head. Like it or not certain members of the Gracie family brought the issue to commercial light in North America with the first UFC's and showed the effectiveness of grappling arts. And rather than high 5'ing each other, we now shit fight over which grappling style is better. Not only that, we fight amongst our chosen styles which dojo/barra/academy is better.

With a few exceptions, the above posts suggest many of you have never been in a 'real' fight - because you are posting like script writers for Jean Claude's next movie. Be grateful that unlike many parts of the world, you can actually practise a 'sport' for the fun of it - and it is not a necessity for every day life.

All hand to hand combat styles are effectively irrelevent today as someone with no training can kill many more people with a firearm with relative ease.

wookey, What is your definition of a "real fight"? Fists, bats, guns, knives, atomic bombs? WTF? Which posts in particular suggest to you the author has never been in a "real fight"?

Your post sorta suggests you are sitting on a high horse and are some high authority, aye?

The Gracies shed light on "main stream America" but they did not show me, or my dojo mates, anything we did not already know first hand. I feel judoka and wrestlers knew they could crush boxers and karate guys before the UFC.

As to the rivalry between dojos and schools that is just natural competition and the nature of competitors. High fiving and hug fests will never become a reality.

"High fiving and hug fests will never become a reality"

Nice thoughts - you have a merry christmas too and don't forget to tell the kiddies how nice a 'skull cracking sound' is when it's someone elses head.

A 53 year old man should know better.

Kiss my ass treki.

Unless the intended outcome is death, everything is a sport.