Judo skills

I've just started judo and I absolutely love. I'm gonna try to compete later on (probably a few more months), and I was wondering: What advice does any of you have for a new player?

I saw the thread about number of throws, I found that very enlightening. I was also wondering if I should emphasize either mat work, throws, submissions, or something else.

What drills and exercises best complement judo?

thanks to all
-seul

Thanks for the reply!

I guess parallel bar pull-ups are for a more direct carry-over to judo? It makes sense, now that I think about it.

More specifically, would suggest any additional grip or calves training? My instructor told us the most important muscles would be our hands/forearms for grip and calves for quick footwork, so i was gonna do a few supplementary things for those.

thanks for your advice,
-Seul

thanks for the advice!

1) I am not a good sprinter, though I'm working through taku's intervals on a jump rope to correct my weakness

2)I train kenpo karate, though not a sport, and played hockey alot for several years

3&4)I train judo twice a week with about 25-30 people whose ranks range from white (myself and most others) to black, with about 10 people holding ranks above me.

thanks for everything!
-Seul

"What advice does any of you have for a new player? "
No matter what, stick with it. The first 6 months are the hardest because you are going to go over basics, basics, and more basics. You may also get frustrated because people half your size and a quarter of your strength will throw you around like a rag doll. It is also very difficult to throw a resisting person. Probably the most difficult physical thing I have ever done. I have seen so many people, people that would have thrown me off the mat, come and go over the last 3 or 4 years I have lost count.

Throws - Don't look at randori as competition, but rather a way to test grips, throws, setups, and combinations for yourself. If you do this, you will most likely get thrown quite a bit by everyone, including people who started when you did (or even after). But eventually, you will be way ahead of them. I don't know your age or what you plan on doing, but if you plan on competing alot, do what a lot of the very experienced guys on here say and pick one throw and work it over and over. Different grips, different setups, different variations. Make that your throw.

Newaza - Position then submission. Don't worry about tapping people at first. Worry about pinning them, transitioning from pin to pin, staying out of pins and escaping pins. Then passing guard, breaking the turtle, turtling, etc. Then onto subs.

Some good advice in the preceding posts.

If you are new to Judo and trying to develop some skills for you first competion, I would emphasis the following in the order listed below (1 most important; 10 least)

1) Throwing - uchi komi, throwing on pad, randori

2) Gripping - how to get your grip and grip breaking

3) Counter throws - ura nage, te garuma, osoto gaeshi

4) Foot work - movement

5) ne waza defense - turtle, not extending arms

6) pinning

7) pin escapes

8) chokes/armlocks

9) sweeps - reversing your opponent while they are in you guard

10) passing the guard

Thanks for the input!

I will have a problem training more than twice a week because I'm taking it as a class in college, and the class is only on tuesdays and thursdays. Would it be beneficial for me to get together with some people outside of class to practice?

thanks,

-Seul

My instructor feels the same way..... he won't let us stay late after class to drill some more without at least a brown belt to watch us.

Regrettably, I can't use the mats between classes. I think I try doing outside, if weather permits.

Thanks for all the advice, Judo is a wonderful sport...

-Seul

Listen to everything with your bs filter on. Some advice is good. Some is utter crap. Make your own decision as to what will benefit you.

My biggest pet peeve is people who don't use their mat time wisely. Don't spend time yapping or talking about how you should have moved or thrown when you could be actually working on the skill. Once that class is over, it's over for good. That time in your life is gone and you'll never have it to use again. Work your tail off in class and talk about it after and you'll be surprised how fast you progress.

Steve Lafrate