Junior Dos Santos vs. Ciryl Gane

![](upload://y3DfLXRLt9cmQRgfEgSrKHlyAuA.jpeg)

JDS needs a few tune up fights if he wants to continue. JDS vs Mayes, Martinez, Tybura, Abdurakhimov, Spivak, or Sherman. Let him fight at least 3 of those guys and if he can win then match him up against another tough fighter. If he loses 1 fight he needs a forced retirement.

Scrimgali -
MasterofMartialArts -
Scrimgali -
Gennady Goblin -

What happened to JDS? How do you go from knocking everyone's shit silly to just completely getting wrecked every fight?

Has great hands but that’s about it! Big JDS fan but he is too one dimensional at this point. 

It’s not about being one dimensional. Prime JDS is/was skilled enough to beat Gane. JDS just looks like he’s done to be honest. His confidence is gone, and his chin is shot. 

Agreed. His chin is shot and yea his confidence has been gone for a while. But the older/slower he gets he looks one dimensional to me. You kind of know what your gonna get. 

At this point yes. I actually don’t think he has slowed down very much physically. Maybe one dimension in terms of using mostly just his boxing, but for a long time his boxing was just so far ahead of the division that he had a long run of success. When you look at his career I actually think his biggest problem was his ego in fights. 

Any time he was hit with a big shot he always wanted to get it back. For a long time he was able to get away with that because almost all of the time he was technically superior, and faster. If you watch the Ngannou fight he was actually having a lot of success and even dropped him with a leg kick at one point. He got overconfident, walked right into range and whiffed on a HUGE right hand. He was so out of position that he basically handed Francis his chin on a platter. He also looked great against Jairzinho but again his skill went out the window to trade with the guy, and he got caught. 

When you look at any former champion who had a long run, almost every one of them had multiple technical deficiencies that they were able to get away with because of their advantages elsewhere (speed, technicality, power, endurance, chin, etc). JDS is just another guy who has fallen victim to that trend. 

If that wasn't a shot to the back of the head I don't know what is.

1 Like

In my opinion. It was an unintentional elbow to the back of the head and the following should have happened:

JDS should have been given time to recover then asked if he could continue

If JDS could continue then the fight should have kept going

If JDS can not continue

If the fight ends before the middle of the fight

(So before 7.5 minutes of fight time in a 3 rounder)

Its a no contest.

If its past 7.5 minutes in a 3 rounder.

We go to a technical decision.

If JDS is winning on the judges score cards.

JDS wins a technical decision.

If JDS is losing.

It is declared a technical draw.

Wayne Glamcock -

legal... Dos was turning away from the fight 

...and doing it slowly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QjG2RbvK8Q

SportScience - 

In my opinion. It was an unintentional elbow to the back of the head and the following should have happened:

JDS should have been given time to recover then asked if he could continue

If JDS could continue then the fight should have kept going

If JDS can not continue

If the fight ends before the middle of the fight

(So before 7.5 minutes of fight time in a 3 rounder)

Its a no contest.

If its past 7.5 minutes in a 3 rounder.

We go to a technical decision.

If JDS is winning on the judges score cards.

JDS wins a technical decision.

If JDS is losing.

It is declared a technical draw.

this is my opinion as well.

The elbow clearly hit an illegal target area, even if a bit of the forearm touched the ear. If I kick you in the groin its not a legal strike just because part of my shin hits your thigh.

JDS was turned away from Gane. His whole body was facing the away, it wasn’t simply a case of his turning his head to avoid the strike.

Gennady Goblin - 

What happened to JDS? How do you go from knocking everyone's shit silly to just completely getting wrecked every fight?

I don’t know but the obvious is he’s gotten older abd lost a step. That said, he has the same basic gameplan every fight. To throw his overhand right and hope to get lucky and knock his oppt out. This has not worked well for him in his last what 4-5 fights though but he doesn’t switch it up. He was fighting a very good kickboxer last night and Dos Santos didn’t even bother grappling. He just tried to land that lucky punch.

Dos Santos has no plan B and it’s frustrating as hell to watch. He has or had pretty good hands but that’s it

StretchPlum - Quit due to frustration. Should be cut. Gane did not show much because he didn't have to. Just kicked a statue.

OH cone on, Gane looked pretty sharp last night …he moved very well for a hvwt and he has very good kicks and punches. He mixed them together very well. I do agree though that JDS wasn’t really doing much to threaten Cyril.

Cyril has talent no doubt but I’m curious how good his grappling is. Put him vs Blaydes

StretchPlum - 
Scrimgali - 
Gennady Goblin -

Has great hands but that’s about it! Big JDS fan but he is too one dimensional at this point. 

And he let Gane be successfully one dimensional.

Moicano let Fiziev do the same thing. It’s frustrating to watch a guy stand up and strike with a guy that’s levels better than him when he could go for a tajedown.

it will be overturned, no contest, maybe rematch