Just rewatched Cruzs last 5 fights

I have to say it... He will have nothing for T.J.
He is the originator of this type of style and if he did a good job inspiring the new age, he is suposed to be surpassed.

He opened new horisons to fighters, sort of a liberation from the first rule - never leave your stance. We see it more and more now. And like all the greats from the past, he will loose to those he helped create.

Highlight of Cruz (full MM fight in the related videos):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6w9Mf7Wvss

Don't think Cruz has the power to knock Tj out. Phone Post 3.0

He is very top heavy, meaning he starts his movements with his upper body. TJ is much smoother, everything starts from the legs, so he's always in position to attack.
While Cruz leaves himself disconected from the ground when moving/evading, which is why he doesn't generate much power.

Cruz wins imo

Worried about the knee issues though Phone Post 3.0

If healthy I would def pick Cruz. But it's so hard to pick against a guy at the top of his championship caliber game for a guy who has had so many knee/health issues and inactivity. Btw what have been Cruz's health problems? He tore his ACL, then after months his knee rejected the cadaver which meant they had to re-do the whole procedure? Then he tore his groin, and finally he tore the ACL in his other knee?

Cruz mixes it up way better. Bang taught tj how to use similar footwork for striking but not how to mix in the tds. Cruz sticks to the style 100% of the time. Tj was already starting to go away from it in this fight. Mostly used it right at the beginning of the round and abandoned it part way through Phone Post 3.0

What's interesting about both guys is that the best way to negate that style is to MAKE THEM MOVE BACK. I've always considered it a sign of doom if an opponent fighting them, especially Cruz, gve them the critical two-step/long range distance. It's like giving Floyd Mayweather room to operate and think. You can't do that because you're gonna lose as they have too many options. Whomever can move forward more effectively and has more power is probably gonna win. I think it's TJ. Also, you can see some moments of success Mighty Mouse and Faber had being aggressive w/Cruz. Don't let him dance, flit and feint around as you are basically handing him the template for all that fakey/jakey/cutesty stuff. Low leg kicks and constant pressure take away the distance.

That being said Cruz has amazing hips and TD defense. This will probably be like a kickboxing match but I still like TJ but can't wait to see it.

Cruz is better at setting up the takedown, TJ is an amazing wrestler but I still wouldnt be surprised to see Dillashaw on his back once or twice. I bet it would turn into a grappling match. If cruz initiates the takedowns he might throw Dillashaw off. Money's still on TJ though, he is too explosive for cruz. Phone Post 3.0

Cruz if he has no knee problems

He has more reach, is stronger, has better transitions and better overall wrestling.

TJ is a bit faster and his striking is a bit more crisp.

Overall advantage Cruz imo Phone Post 3.0

I feel sorry for the op having to go through that. my condolences.

I'd give TJ the edge in power but Cruz would likely mix in takedowns and some GnP to earn himself the victory. Hope Cruz can get healthy and this fight can become a reality.

Ziga - He is very top heavy, meaning he starts his movements with his upper body. TJ is much smoother, everything starts from the legs, so he's always in position to attack.
While Cruz leaves himself disconected from the ground when moving/evading, which is why he doesn't generate much power.
This is a good assessment. I think Cruz is a pioneer for the new age guys like TJ, but TJ probably does everything a little better. He moves so well and his striking is so fluid.

Maybe he doesn't cut as many off angles, but you really can't predict the guy because of his tools and lightning quick speed. I think he is also more diverse than Cruz with his attacks. Phone Post 3.0

TJ would wreck Dom.

It's not a fair comparison because TJ has been perfecting his game day in and day out while Dom has been aging on the sidelines.

If Cruz was healthy I would pick him 100% Phone Post 3.0

Clarence Parents - TJ would wreck Dom.

It's not a fair comparison because TJ has been perfecting his game day in and day out while Dom has been aging on the sidelines.
I agree. I honestly think TJ is under rated and will have the belt a long time. Phone Post 3.0

Imitator vs Originator.

I'm gonna go with the originator... Phone Post 3.0

Agreed. Tj is cruz 2.0 Phone Post 3.0

Cruz is elusive he has weird movement, that's a tough one to call....great fight Phone Post 3.0

Cruz is lazer accurate. Both fighters are very good, and very similar styles. 

Unbiased opinion-

TJ-

-physically in better condition. Less wars, less injuries.

-confidence at an all time high

-well rounded, enough to not be at a significant disadvantage against Cruz anywhere the fight goes

Cruz-

-far more experienced. If in a bad spot, has the confidence to know he can turn it around

-still hungry. his confidence has been high for years, but his inactivity and no belt makes him want to take back what was once his, and in the cage, no one but Uriah has made him look beatable.

-proven champion. his question mark of his injured knees and general injuries, is overlooked by me. I totally see how his injuries are significant and major ones, don't get me wrong. But Cruz's CHAMPIONSHIP SPIRIT in fighting transferred over to rehab, more so mental than physical in my opinion, and despite a really rough hand and past couple years, I cannot think of any fighter who would be in contention and possible favorite against the current champ considering what he's been through.

It's that last advantage for Cruz, which makes me give him an advantage over Dillashaw if they were to fight next.

bakobell - Don't think Cruz has the power to knock Tj out. Phone Post 3.0

I disagree.