Just watched Maia vs Askren

And Maia’s wrestling is very underrated 

TAPES -
Bend The Knee -

A few questions 

1. Why didn't Ben play the clinch against the cage more?

2. How the hell was Maia able to sweep/scramble so well against an olympian? I can hardly move shitty college wrestlers lol  

Ben is a scrambler and literally is the king of funk wrestling. Basically invented an entire With that said, he is comfortable scrambling, thrives on it and is not your traditional type of wrestler. 

Oh yeah and Maia is arguably the greatest BJJ practitioner in mma of all time. 

Yeah, but you would feel like Askren wouldn’t wanna be mounted by Maia lol just saying. Wrestlers bases are insane, traditional or not

Bend The Knee -
James Franco -

Maia always had exceptional wrestling for a bjj guy. He could hang with almost anyone in clinch

But Woodley, Usman and Colby 

Him being unable to overcome a few of the top dog's wrestling in no way invalidates the point you responded to.

Bend The Knee - 
James Franco -

Maia always had exceptional wrestling for a bjj guy. He could hang with almost anyone in clinch

Woodley didn’t even fight in their match. He literally back peddled all night.

ClydeErwinBarret - 
Bend The Knee - 
James Franco -

Woodley didn’t even fight in their match. He literally back peddled all night.

One of the worst fights in UFC history.

Floppy Divac -
Bend The Knee -
James Franco -

Him being unable to overcome a few of the top dog's wrestling in no way invalidates the point you responded to.

I agree. Its too bad he couldn't hang with them in the clinch though 

Great fight!some great scrambling ,and I think Askren had a good slam.

Maia is awesome.

Very very few guys have the level of offensive wrestling to force someone to the ground who wont engage and just keeps back pedaling and circling.

This isnt 1996 where theyre gonna plant and throw a snap kick, these are other well rounded athletes with wrestling who are gonna avoid going to the ground with Maia at all costs to win a non eventual decision.

1 Like

How did Maia get so good at wrestling? I remember being shocked he took down Fitch.