Justin Wren talks about his fight with Nelson

justinthevikingwren - Hey guys let me explain a little bit so you guys at least know my side...

I had 4, non MRSA staph infections during the Roy fight, which I WAS being treated for. Going into the house I had a small one and I snuck cream into the house to treat it and pills in a vitamin bottle. When the 1 staph infection turned into several after my fight with Wes Sims I told the TUF Staff that I had a couple of Staph infections and I started taking more serious antibiotics. I think that quote is paraphrased and not all I said and if not I should have explained it more. 

I DID sneak into the house with a staph infection, that was already being previously treated. I took a neosporin tube, emptied it and sucked the staph cream into it and took it in the house. All of us were pretty much bathing with Hibiclens after every practice. 

One thing I think people need to understand is that I was treating it, that when I went in the house it was hopefully not contagious anymore, and that this was a ONCE AND A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY. I do feel bad if I were to have given any staph to any of the cast, but I didn't want to be like one of the previous cast members and been sent home before I was given the opportunity to fight. 

I did take a risk,  and I did take ever precaution that I could possibly take WITHOUT leaving the house. If that makes me a bad person then I am sorry, this opportunity was one of my biggest dreams. I want a long future in this sport, I won't ever be put in this position again so I can make different choices. Hope I don't lose too much respect from the UG. I have loved the UG since I was 16... Have wanted to fight in the UFC since I was 13... and didn't want a staph infection that was being treated by every mean necessary to keep me from at least having one fight on the show. Hope that is somewhat understandable.  

that good you guys were treating it, but man that's a scary story.   1 staph infection turning into 4 and needing stronger antibiotics...man i would be getting a little panicked knowing how fast staph can spread. 

i completely understand where you are coming from, but staph is some legit shit.  how long did it take for you to get over it?

Monsters Ball - 
Train Judo - "I was being serious. That's some dangerous stuff to be exposing people to without disclosing it."

So is an overhand right, should he tell people thats what he is going to throw?

The way you throw the right hand that wouldn't be necessary. ;)

That stung MB, not nearly as bad as a staph infection, but it stung.

Bobby, I would say STRESS had a lot to do with it. A lot of guys had off and on Colds too. 

The staph was scary, I was still treating it after I left. But I caught them all VERY early and they never looked worse than an oversize pimple. Only one opened up after leaving the house and I continued to treat it. I tried my hardest to keep everyone in mind when I had it. I covered it when training.... I was doing everything possible without giving up my opportunity to be in the house. Supposedly every season has a problem with guys having staph so this isn't the first case, I took the precautions needed. 

Thanks again for the support. I appreciate it. 

Bobby, I would say STRESS had a lot to do with it. A lot of guys had off and on Colds too. 

The staph was scary, I was still treating it after I left. But I caught them all VERY early and they never looked worse than an oversize pimple. Only one opened up after leaving the house and I continued to treat it. I tried my hardest to keep everyone in mind when I had it. I covered it when training.... I was doing everything possible without giving up my opportunity to be in the house. Supposedly every season has a problem with guys having staph so this isn't the first case, I took the precautions needed. 

Thanks again for the support. I appreciate it. 

had a staph infection I covered up whenever the doctors looked over us. I just had staph the entire time I was there. Several guys got it, I am not sure if they got it from me but I think I was.

reason enough to boot him from the house imo

The expression is: Once IN a lifetime.

I now run for cover as TJ comes sprinting over to crush me.

I've never had staph and never known any of the guys I've trained with to have had it, so maybe I'm not as concerned about it as I should be, but some of you guys seem awfully butt-hurt over this.

Sounds like the only thing Justin did wrong was admitting to it. When guys have gotten staph in previous seasons, they didn't throw them off the show, they just treated the staph. Justin was treating it and when it worsened he did notify people. And knowing that he had 4 staph infections, they still didn't throw him off the show.

So clearly some of your opinions about staph aren't matched by those running TUF.

I completely understand why you'd hide it Justin. It wasn't the nasty MRSA right? So the staph you had was probably easily cleared up.

Like you said, this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. You won a fight, and had a close fight with the favorite to win, Roy Nelson. I'm pretty sure you'll get a fight in the UFC. The risk was well worth the reward.

Does anyone remember the name of the guy who got kicked off TUF for having staph?? I don't. Poor guy lost the biggest opportunity of his life because he had a small patch of staph that would have been cleared up in 2-5 days.

If you gave Roy staph, then you've beaten him in the long run.

lol ONCE AND A LIFETIME made me laugh, we are the same age justin, I am a fan. Wish you all the bestand look forward to see you kicking ass again.

Train Judo - "I was being serious. That's some dangerous stuff to be exposing people to without disclosing it."

People train to defend against the possibly being hit with overhand being thrown.  They know are at risk of being punched, kicked or submitted.  

If they knew they would be training and/or fighting someone with straph, they might take extra precautions that they didn't take.   It is unfair to the other fighters to expose them to a known risk without telling them.

Spectacular post, IMO.

Foos - I completely understand why you'd hide it Justin. It wasn't the nasty MRSA right? So the staph you had was probably easily cleared up.

Like you said, this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. You won a fight, and had a close fight with the favorite to win, Roy Nelson. I'm pretty sure you'll get a fight in the UFC. The risk was well worth the reward.

Does anyone remember the name of the guy who got kicked off TUF for having staph?? I don't. Poor guy lost the biggest opportunity of his life because he had a small patch of staph that would have been cleared up in 2-5 days.

I agree.  It's easy to say "fuck anyone who has staph and covers it up," but most of us on here would do the same rather than throw away an opportunity as big as TUF.

someone should pop him in the nuts for fucking around with staph...shit can be life threatening.

White347LX - 

Spectacular post, IMO.

yup...unbelievably sound logic. Blew my mind.

After his fight with Roy, I was hoping that Matt wouldn't be able to continue and they give Justin the spot.  I mean he earned it, not Kimbo.  Kimbo will get his oppurtunity regardless if he wins a fight in the house.  Justin actually stands a chance to win the whole show. 

mikecard - someone should pop him in the nuts for fucking around with staph...shit can be life threatening.

That would be fair. There should be a TUF justicy system.

Hide Staph = 1 groin shot

wufwugy - 
robbie380 - 
wufwugy - Well, Wren's statement about hiding staph should definitely be the end of his career, but it won't be

lol wouldn't go that far but it was certainly dumb and dumber to admit it without even being pressed to admit anything.  either way he is a young guy and he will learn. 

I guess standards among fighters are ridiculously low. Try hiding an infectious, lethal, and industry-specific disease in any other profession; and watch as you become completely ostracized

Standards??....you have no idea what is being hid from the general public/viewers, unless you are actually there training/set crew/something of the sort. The only reason anyone knew Wren had an infection was because he ADMITTED to it....not many people would...but obviously his & the TUF staff/doctors (yes, they have doctors on staff) knowledge of the infection is more than yours, or, as proved in past seasons, he would have been asked to leave.

PS...if you think every fighter that has ever stepped in the cage, at any fight, UFC or not, has been COMPLETELY STAPH FREE, you're sadly mistaken....you haven't watched enough MMA, or taked to enough people behind the scenes...educate before you implicate.

Misedukatd - I'd be kind of pissed if I got staph infection from a guy who was trying to pretend he didn't have it.

He didn't "pretend" to have it....if you were to read a little more & do more research, maybe read a WHOLE blog, instead of just going off of what everyone else who DIDN'T read ALL of anything either, was saying, you'd see he INFORMED THE TUF CREW he had staph & WAS TREATING IT. Obviously, like I said before, because of past seasons, they will dismiss guys for having staph, if they know it's serious. If you train/roll, then you've have had staph, weather it be minor & you didn't know you had it, or an active infection you treated....if you haven't, you don't spend enough time on the mat/bags, or you're a keyboard warrior sitting behind your laptop typing like you know what you're talking about. Unless you are ACTUALLY there, on set, while TUF is being filmed, you have no clue what goes on.

Please, next time...it's better to keep your mouth shut & stand, assuming your lack of intelligence, than to open your mouth & prove it.

Obviously, in case you couldn't tell....I'm sick of reading ignorant posts from close minded people who refuse to do more research before they criticize.

Doublehead - 

People train to defend against the possibly being hit with overhand being thrown.  They know are at risk of being punched, kicked or submitted.  

If they knew they would be training and/or fighting someone with straph, they might take extra precautions that they didn't take.   It is unfair to the other fighters to expose them to a known risk without telling them.

Protect yourself at all times...Keep this motto while training and fighting and you will be better off..

There are ways to defend against staph infections, use them..

Wren is a stud, I happened to see him fight at a few events in Dallas.
I think he is very legit and could do big things in the near future.

I hope he fights in the finale...but really I can't wait for Jon Jones on that card!!