Kazeka Muniz

What happened, never heard about that one

Well, my take on him was wrong... I though he was like from Uruguay or Peru some other non-Brazilian Country and had lived in Europe.

I know he is skilled, but I recall hearing a lot of odd stuff about him way back when.

I'm pretty sure he was a Blue Belt when he made his tapes. He had won the Brazilian championships or something.

i don't think he ever competed in any big tourneys in Brazil when he was over there training

he's not from any country other then America

he has legit skills without question

so whats the story with Rickson?

HP, is kazeka this american that fooled people into thinking he was brazilian? lol

HuntingtonPUNK - he's opening or now its open his academy in his hometown Palmdale,CA .

was he a blue or white belt when he made his original instructionals back in the day?

I remember when he first started going to brazil and training at Gracie Barra, I think he was the first American promoted by Carlos Gracie, says a lot about his skills.

Which Americans were first Gracie Barra Black Belts: Kazeka or Florian?

kenny was promoted by roberto maia, not carlinhos..so it depends if you are talking about a direct promotion from him or not.

alexgb72 - HP, is kazeka this american that fooled people into thinking he was brazilian? lol

Word on the street is that he tried hard to do this.

Alex, I'm 99% sure promoted by Carlos Gracie Jr. How sure are you?

if anyone gets a chance to train with him, take advantage he's super skilled, excellent top game, good wrestling

100% positive. Both kenny and his brother keith got their black belts from roberto maia.

In fact when they got promoted, Boston BJJ (maia's original school) wasn't even officially Gracie Barra yet.

if you need confirmation here's the updated list of all of Gracie Barra black belts, all from Carlinho's hand:

http://graciebarra.com/gbcn.php?n=blackbelts

Guy has instructed in Liverpool, Bosnia, Taiwan, Philippines, North California, Atlanta, etc. so he has plenty of international experience. He trained the US Navy Seals and was 5 time Brazilian national champion and 2X world champion in bjj. You should sign up the longest term contract available, I'm sure his school will be around for a long time.

The Brazilians I know call him 'Paraguay'. That's rio slang for imitation consumer goods.

He's an excellent instructor, from what I've heard and seen. But I've heard he doesn't stay in one place very long, so that hurts his association.

He's also a VERY good wrestler from what I remember...

Daniel/CGJJ - The Brazilians I know call him 'Paraguay'. That's rio slang for imitation consumer goods.

He's an excellent instructor, from what I've heard and seen. But I've heard he doesn't stay in one place very long, so that hurts his association.

He's also a VERY good wrestler from what I remember...

THAT'S it: "Paraguay" that's what I heard him called. I thought that meant he was from Paraguay. LOL.

Thanks

alexgb72 - if you need confirmation here's the updated list of all of Gracie Barra black belts, all from Carlinhos' hand:

That list is not up to date, nor are all of them direct Carlos Gracie Jr black belts.

James

Sir Taps - 
alexgb72 - if you need confirmation here's the updated list of all of Gracie Barra black belts, all from Carlinhos' hand:

That list is not up to date, nor are all of them direct Carlos Gracie Jr black belts.

James

ok like who?

kenny and keith florian are black belts under roberto maia. there's really no questioning that.

my instructor marcelo rezende has told us that muniz used to travel back to GB every few months after travelling somewhere in the world learning some other type of grappling style.

he would bring over his sambo techniques for leglocks, etc.

he speaks portugese and is known to be a bit of a dick, that's coming from a guy who trained with him back in 99 or 2000.

alexgb72 - ok like who?

Victor Estima is missing, as is Ben Poppleton (UK black belt who received his belt in 2005).

And as for names on there that didn't receive there belts from Carlinhos?

Mauricio Gomes (Rolls)
Braulio Estima & Otavio Souza (Ze Radiola)
Alberto Crane & Romulo Barral (Draculino)
Felipe Alves de Souza (Jose Henrique Leao Teixeira)
Celso Vinicius (Ryan Gracie)

And I'd bet there's a few more too. That's a list of Barra belts, not Carlinhos belts.

James

LOL @ thinking Carlinhos has personally promoted every single black belt that is under GB.   They have like a million of them out there. 

Sir Taps - 
alexgb72 - ok like who?

Victor Estima is missing, as is Ben Poppleton (UK black belt who received his belt in 2005).

And as for names on there that didn't receive there belts from Carlinhos?

Mauricio Gomes (Rolls)
Braulio Estima & Otavio Souza (Ze Radiola)
Alberto Crane & Romulo Barral (Draculino)
Felipe Alves de Souza (Jose Henrique Leao Teixeira)
Celso Vinicius (Ryan Gracie)

And I'd bet there's a few more too. That's a list of Barra belts, not Carlinhos belts.

James

all of these belts have the approval of carlinhos (except maurição), regardless if he is present or not.

that's why it's called "Carlos Gracie Jr Team"

anyways this goes back to the original reason why i posted this link...kenny florian is a black belt under roberto maia.

meatrokket -  LOL @ thinking Carlinhos has personally promoted every single black belt that is under GB.   They have like a million of them out there. 

LOL @ you for not understand what Carlos Gracie Jr. Team means ;-)

alexgb72 - LOL @ you for not understand what Carlos Gracie Jr. Team means ;-)

No, lol @ you for writing "all from Carlinhos' hand", then changing your story to approved by Carlinhos ;)

Would be nice if GB updated the list soon though, even Kayron's not on there!!

James

how does a blue belt end up making an instructional series?

i remember not being impressed watching the tapes 10 years ago when I just started.

it was kazeka, marco lala and then mario sperry.