KB vs. MT: The fight that changed history

King Trav - Very excellent. I really appreciate your breakdowns.

Both dudes showed so much grit and toughness. I can't imagine getting introduced to leg kicks for the first time like that.

Ouch. I wonder what Rick's legs looked like after that fight. Phone Post 3.0

I would imagine a lot like Faber's after he fought Aldo lol

thanks for the correction, Kolsyrade

King Trav - Very excellent. I really appreciate your breakdowns.

Both dudes showed so much grit and toughness. I can't imagine getting introduced to leg kicks for the first time like that.

Ouch. I wonder what Rick's legs looked like after that fight. Phone Post 3.0

It was like Gus vs. Jones - both of them went to the hospital together. So much heart.

Funny that Saekson who threw in the ice to buy time later went to coach Roufus. So many great stories about Saeksan, including the crazy brawl.

Last minute notice for a first time low-kick fight is quite the intro haha. 

^any luck in getting muay thai videos of Khaosai Galaxy?

EKPOGI - ^any luck in getting muay thai videos of Khaosai Galaxy?

nope unfortunately

EKPOGI - Wasa and debraco same thread? IN

haha what's the history between the two? Wasa is always posting thoughtful comments :)

Maldini2706 - Threads like this are the reason I keep coming back here. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks for the love man, means a lot!

LawrenceKenshin - 

haha what's the history between the two? Wasa is always posting thoughtful comments :)

as far as martial arts go,these two are facking awesome with knowledge.there's a couple more posters that are awesome with technique and history of martial arts,but those two stick out.

of course you and Jack Slack too.

now work on those Galaxy vids.

great job btw

p.s.sorry for the for the hijack question,but what's your opinion on San Shou/Sanda?(sorry debraco)

EKPOGI - 
LawrenceKenshin - 

as far as martial arts go,these two are facking awesome with knowledge.there's a couple more posters that are awesome with technique and history of martial arts,but those two stick out.

of course you and Jack Slack too.

now work on those Galaxy vids.

great job btw

p.s.sorry for the for the hijack question,but what's your opinion on San Shou/Sanda?(sorry debraco)

hahah yeah it appears so. 

Galaxy will happen one day. 

I like san shou / sanda, have a few friends that transitions from it into MT. They're tough, as it has shown in stylistic matches. Aside from that, I've not studied it so much. Under other people's rule sets they've not done as well I think. 

KyokushinCatch - 
Liam VT1 _ LEMon - Bear in mind the Americans wouldn't fight full Thai rules, they beat a bunch of Thais in kickboxing rules with no clinch and knees...never mind elbows. There is a great vid out there of Benny the Jet fighting a Thai with clinch...well his wife is crying in the audience. They called it a no contest.

I felt a bit sorry for the American stars, Don the Dragon had a similar experience too, until I saw all the poor underweight Thais the Americans were bringing in to let people like Benny beat up under kickboxing rules. Until MMA came along, Thai rules were the Wild West of combat...people talked about it, people fought washed up small Thais but no one except the Dutch stars actually tried their hand at it legitimately Phone Post 3.0

Toshio Fujiwara was a Kyokushin Karate fighter turned Kickboxer who competed in Muay Thai at the highest levels. He was coached by Kenji Kurosawa, the Karate fighter that lost in the 1964 matches in Thailand.

On March 18, 1978, Fujiwara became the first non-Thai to win a Muay Thai Championship. He defeated Mongsawan Ruk Changmai to become the Lightweight Champion of Rajadamnerm Stadium by Knockout in Round 4 (via punches).

Video of Fujiwara vs. Mongsawan Ruk Changmai for Rajadamnerm Championship

http://youtu.be/iM2IpOmUA2Y

Later that same year (October 30), Fujiwara avenged an earlier decision loss to the new Rajadamnerm Champion, Sepree Kiatsompop, by Knockout in Round 7 (via punches) of a World Championship Kickboxing title fight. This was the finale of a championship series. I believe the video you saw of Benny Urquidez being pummeled by knees was in the clinch of Kiatsompop during the semi-finals held earlier (I saw the same video, although it looked like the fight was called a loss for Urquidez - one his record did not later reflect).

Video of Fujiwara vs. Sepree Kiatsompop for World title

http://youtu.be/NoBiueeRpiI

That first Rajadamnern video there doesnt even look like Rajadamnern?

allow me to be clear and concise:

1. Toshio Fujiwara was a Shorin-Ryu Karate stylist, not of the Kyoukushinkai-kan. However, he was trained for Muay Thai fights by Kyokushin alumnae turned Kickboxing trainer Kenji Kurosaki.

2. Fujiwara defeated Mongsawan Ruk Chiangmai for the vacant title of Rajadamnerm Stadium, via KO (round 4) on 3-18-78, in Tokyo, Japan. This championship fight was sanctioned by Rajadamnerm; OUTCOLD is correct as the venue was not Rajadamnerm, but for its title.

3. Sepree Kiatsompop defeated Fujiwara (5 round unanimous decision) at Rajadamnerm Stadium (on 6-7-78, Bangkok, Thailand.)

4. Fujiwara then KO'd the same Kiatsompop for the "World Championship" (Shin Kakutojutsu - Muay Thai rules) on 10-30-78 in Tokyo, Japan.

That is very bizarre that they would allow the Rajadamnern title to not be fought at Rajadamnern Stadium.

But I guess the Thai's will do anything if the price is right.

KyokushinCatch - allow me to be clear and concise:

1. Toshio Fujiwara was a Shorin-Ryu Karate stylist, not of the Kyoukushinkai-kan. However, he was trained for Muay Thai fights by Kyokushin alumnae turned Kickboxing trainer Kenji Kurosaki.

2. Fujiwara defeated Mongsawan Ruk Chiangmai for the vacant title of Rajadamnerm Stadium, via KO (round 4) on 3-18-78, in Tokyo, Japan. This championship fight was sanctioned by Rajadamnerm; OUTCOLD is correct as the venue was not Rajadamnerm, but for its title.

3. Sepree Kiatsompop defeated Fujiwara (5 round unanimous decision) at Rajadamnerm Stadium (on 6-7-78, Bangkok, Thailand.)

4. Fujiwara then KO'd the same Kiatsompop for the "World Championship" (Shin Kakutojutsu - Muay Thai rules) on 10-30-78 in Tokyo, Japan.

thanks for the rich history nugget

you're welcome, LK

I sure as heck don't know everything about KB/MT, but what I do know, I share

KyokushinCatch - you're welcome, LK

I sure as heck don't know everything about KB/MT, but what I do know, I share

I am quite fascinated by the lineages. It seems to get richer and richer the more you look into it. 

In Phone Post 3.0

That fight was epic but it was definitely far from being the fight when a lot of people first realized how important leg kicks are
In a fight.

A lot of American full contact fighters were
Fighting in kickboxing thru wka and had realized way before that fight ,just how important leg kick were.

You don't have to fight full blown muaythai to realize its value. Phone Post 3.0

You had many North American fighters that where fighting with leg kicks (previous to this ) and had recognized it's worth.

Benny urquidez
Don Wilson
Maurice smith

Those are just the popular names but there was a a lot of fighters that were fighting WKA way before that fight and acknowledging the importance of leg kicks.

Contrary to popular belief ,it just wasn't that easy to fight on a full sanctioned muaythai card back in those days. Few commissions sanctioned them and most fighters really needed to travel abroad ,in order to fight full muaythai rules. However ,many knew the effectiveness of it and many knew the effectiveness of leg kicks by simply competing in wka type events. Phone Post 3.0

In Phone Post 3.0

Newaza freak - You had many North American fighters that where fighting with leg kicks (previous to this ) and had recognized it's worth.

Benny urquidez
Don Wilson
Maurice smith

Those are just the popular names but there was a a lot of fighters that were fighting WKA way before that fight and acknowledging the importance of leg kicks.

Contrary to popular belief ,it just wasn't that easy to fight on a full sanctioned muaythai card back in those days. Few commissions sanctioned them and most fighters really needed to travel abroad ,in order to fight full muaythai rules. However ,many knew the effectiveness of it and many knew the effectiveness of leg kicks by simply competing in wka type events. Phone Post 3.0

this is full of correct