Ken Shamrock KO'd Mark Coleman in training ?

thomase - I've rolled with many many top guys on a consistent basis over the last 15 years. When I was training with Ken for his UFC 48 fight against Kimo (I think it was 48 iirc) he was by far the strongest person I'd ever trained with. That wasn't even a prime Ken either. He really was a beast back in the day!

Big English Tom Phone Post 3.0
Awesome! Phone Post 3.0

Ken vs Coleman was one of my dream matches back in the day. I always thought Mark would ground and pound him like Tito did, so it is cool hearing these training stories. Ken was never good from his back. The Shamrock that fought Ortiz was not the same though.

Scott Rotem -
DanTheWolfman - Interesting....

Ken's striking when he actually trained it was really good, for the Fujita fight be4 his heart, and I think was good vs Diet Butcher too but would need to rewatch.

Yep. Ken's thai boxing looked great in those fights.
Yup Kens striking against Fujita looked A* strange that he looked his best in a fight he lost, can't think of that happening to anyone else. Phone Post 3.0

Kobayashi - 
Scott Rotem -
DanTheWolfman - Interesting....

Ken's striking when he actually trained it was really good, for the Fujita fight be4 his heart, and I think was good vs Diet Butcher too but would need to rewatch.

Yep. Ken's thai boxing looked great in those fights.
Yup Kens striking against Fujita looked A* strange that he looked his best in a fight he lost, can't think of that happening to anyone else. Phone Post 3.0

Fujita was tough, but I though Ken looked better against Otsuka.

Ken @ HW was a monster. Don't get it twisted, people.

1 Like

People underestimate Ken based on certain fights, but back in his day he was a beast who would smash people in training. He was way tougher than people think. You never hear anyone who has trained with him say otherwise. Phone Post

2 Likes

ALOT of current UFC and MMA stars like Roy Nelson,Ricco Rodriguez,Anthony Johnson,John Gunderson,Pat Healy,and Evan Dunham all trained with us @ Susanville/Reno and I'm sure they would all agree that even then the "old man" still hadn't lost it all. Ken had all of us try and take him down during training one day while he in the middle... Not one of us took him down. But as we all know age catches up with us. Is it fair to say that he is "The World's Most Dangerous OLD Man"?

4 Likes

Ashe Bowman - ALOT of current UFC and MMA stars like Roy Nelson,Ricco Rodriguez,Anthony Johnson,John Gunderson,Pat Healy,and Evan Dunham all trained with us @ Susanville/Reno and I'm sure they would all agree that even then the "old man" still hadn't lost it all. Ken had all of us try and take him down during training one day while he in the middle... Not one of us took him down. But as we all know age catches up with us. Is it fair to say that he is "The World's Most Dangerous OLD Man"?

Nice Ashe ! Any more Ken or Ken training w/ Coleman stories ? Did Randleman train there too ?

thomase - I've rolled with many many top guys on a consistent basis over the last 15 years. When I was training with Ken for his UFC 48 fight against Kimo (I think it was 48 iirc) he was by far the strongest person I'd ever trained with. That wasn't even a prime Ken either. He really was a beast back in the day!

Was hoping you'd show up. Phone Post 3.0

QTyp - Ken vs Coleman was one of my dream matches back in the day. I always thought Mark would ground and pound him like Tito did, so it is cool hearing these training stories. Ken was never good from his back. The Shamrock that fought Ortiz was not the same though.
In the first fight with tito.. I heard ken was a bit preoccupied the night before with his wife and a chick they both picke up lol. No joke. Phone Post 3.0

1 Like

BTT-RyannVonDoom -

Was hoping you'd show up. Phone Post 3.0
Lol of course I gotta come out of lurk mode for these threads my old school brethren! :)

I think we would all agree now that Ken is a spent force and clearly a little scared to fight anyone good.

ShamusO'nyou - 
BTT-RyannVonDoom - One of our posters confirmed this in a thread here. He's been known to trane with the lions den guys. That threads old as fuck.. I'll try and bump it.

And lol @ ken breaking in big fights. Jesus christ. Phone Post 3.0

I think thats fair in regards to not living up to his potential.

Doesn't mean he was not a legend or successful, but I dont think he ever really showed the dominance he apparently did in training.

For example, the second Royce fight. In reality Ken should have killed him. If he had been training MMA with Royce and didn't know who he was I am sure he would have ragdolled him. But the pressure and mystique got the better of him when it was the real deal and he fought a boring extremely cautious fight. Understandable at the time, but he was capable of much more.

Based on their real fights I doubt anyone would expect Ken to dominate Coleman at will. Yet apparently thats exactly what he did in training.

The only reason Ken did not win the second fight was because there were no judges for that fight. He clearly would have won a Unanimous Decision that night.

He was a King of Pancrase, and Bas Rutten never beat him. He easily tapped out Severn in their first fight, and he beat the living hell out of Taktarov in another fight that clearly would have been a Unanimous Decision for him, had there been judges.

I'll grant you that you do have a point with Coleman, but to say that Shamrock NEVER lived up to his potential is a complete denial of the facts.

1 Like

DanTheWolfman - Big Tom......................................Hi
Dan the wolfman!....how's it going? I'm in Bel Air bodyguarding right now. Are you still out here in L.A?

JulianTMA - I think we would all agree now that Ken is a spent force and clearly a little scared to fight anyone good.
Considering he has nothing left to prove? I dont care if he fights again, or if he does, i'll still be a fan and thankful of what he's done. Phone Post 3.0

1 Like

I heard of similar stories about Marco Ruas.

HEMAN - I heard of similar stories about Marco Ruas.

What, that Ken knocked him out ?

TTT

cheesesteak - Back in the day Ken used to rough everyone up in training. It's during a real match is where he mentally crumbled.

Do you even know what the fuck you are talking about? When Ken was in his prime, he was an animal! He didn’t mentally break. He did get old and past his prime, and decided to keep fighting. Ken was very mentally tough as nails. That was never a problem for him. You need a history lesson, son!

kungfugrip - Ko the guy you are training for a big fight? Great training!

Old school MMA training was a lot different than it is today. It wasn’t as calculated and organized as it is now. Just like the sport evolves, so does it’s training. Training for a fight back in those days was pretty much trying to simulate the fight as much as possible without getting injured, but shit happens. It still happens today! Not remotely as often or intentionally, but accidents happen.

1 Like