Ken Shamrock KO'd Mark Coleman in training ?

If this is old news beat to death, forgive me. Somehow I never heard of this. Apparently MMA fighter Ashe Bowman says he was there for one of the training session where Ken was preparing Mark to fight Pedro Rizzo at UFC 18.

Quote: "Ken TRAINED Mark for his fight against Pedro Rizzo in the UFC back in San Diego...They had some good training sessions behind closed doors. Ken knocked out Mark in training for FACT....Mark knocked Ken on his ass and thats when Ken got back up and KO'd Mark.

Has anyone heard this ? Or any details about their training sessions, grappling sessions ? Mikey Burnette still out there ?

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/ashe-bowman-says-ken-shamrock-koed-mark-coleman-training-1999-a-1854341/

I heard it.Didn`t know that it was in San Diego.I thought that it was in Lodi.

If true, could explain why Mark Coleman was reluctant to fight Ken Shamrock on short notice just after he won the Pride Grand Prix.

Ko the guy you are training for a big fight? Great training!

1 Like

Back in the day Ken used to rough everyone up in training. It's during a real match is where he mentally crumbled.

I never heard about a KO, but I did hear it told that Ken had his way with Coleman on the ground and subbed him pretty much whenever he wanted.

He knocked him out to Bolivia Phone Post

One of our posters confirmed this in a thread here. He's been known to trane with the lions den guys. That threads old as fuck.. I'll try and bump it.

And lol @ ken breaking in big fights. Jesus christ. Phone Post 3.0

kungfugrip - Ko the guy you are training for a big fight? Great training!

Probably happens more then you think, Bas did it to Ricco when he though Ricco wasn't training properly.

bryanand - 

Probably happens more then you think, Bas did it to Ricco when he though Ricco wasn't training properly.

And reportedly, the entire Chute Boxe Team used to KO each other in training...on the regular. Vanderlei, Pele, Shogun, all of them.

SKARHEAD - 
bryanand - 

And reportedly, the entire Chute Boxe Team used to KO each other in training...on the regular. Vanderlei, Pele, Shogun, all of them.

I'm surprised they've been able to sustain their careers after all that abuse.

me too.. might not be so pretty in 10-20 yrs.. man I hope not though. brain damage is scarey.

1 Like

ttt Phone Post 3.0

Heard this rumor several times; I'm guessing it's true. Mark spoke highly of Ken's skills when they trained in an interview I read way back. He also refused to fight Ken on short notice in Pride.

Never heard of this before. I would be very skeptical of this sort of rumours

1 Like

So Coleman fought most of his career as a living dead? Phone Post 3.0

I've rolled with many many top guys on a consistent basis over the last 15 years. When I was training with Ken for his UFC 48 fight against Kimo (I think it was 48 iirc) he was by far the strongest person I'd ever trained with. That wasn't even a prime Ken either. He really was a beast back in the day!

Big English Tom Phone Post 3.0

3 Likes

BTT-RyannVonDoom - One of our posters confirmed this in a thread here. He's been known to trane with the lions den guys. That threads old as fuck.. I'll try and bump it.

And lol @ ken breaking in big fights. Jesus christ. Phone Post 3.0

I think thats fair in regards to not living up to his potential.

Doesn't mean he was not a legend or successful, but I dont think he ever really showed the dominance he apparently did in training.

For example, the second Royce fight. In reality Ken should have killed him. If he had been training MMA with Royce and didn't know who he was I am sure he would have ragdolled him. But the pressure and mystique got the better of him when it was the real deal and he fought a boring extremely cautious fight. Understandable at the time, but he was capable of much more.

Based on their real fights I doubt anyone would expect Ken to dominate Coleman at will. Yet apparently thats exactly what he did in training.

Shamrock was the first Heavyweight to have a "total game" so I'm not surprised by this, and Coleman shouldn't be embarrassed about it...Shamrock in the 90's was a scary dude Phone Post 3.0

1 Like

I still endorse the rumor of Shamrock walking into fights with a purple cape every time I read these old school threads.

Shamrock and Lions Den training stories are always great.