Kenpo U-Punch

Anyone in here train in Kenpo and learn the "U-Punch?" It's an odd punch to use against a choke or grab. You have to split your energy, so to speak, between punching the face and midsection simultaneously.

Takedown

I started in Kenpo and learned the U punch. Its a pretty common karate technique.

Try it as a high block/uppercut against a face punch. Make sure to bend your knees as you step towards the opponent and block. You could also turn it into a middle block/overhead punch but most karate guys (myself included) don't prefer overhead punching. I'm still not sure if that's good or bad.

Let me know what you think of the combinations.

Mark

Mark:

Thanks for the response. Although what I'm training in right now has elements of Kenpo (it's my instructor's base art), he doesn't really push the use of the U-Punch. It's moreso taught for preservation of the art so to speak. However, he has mentioned that there are techniques in Kenpo he doesn't really care for, but that doesn't mean that someone else can't use a technique he teaches adequately. I'll definitely keep in mind what you suggested for class though.

What we learn is very similar to what you would find say, in the Inosanto Academy: FMA, JKD, Muay Thai, BJJ, and then elements of Kenpo. We also do some tactical weapons training (gun/knife).

Takedown

"It's moreso taught for preservation of the art so to speak. However, he has mentioned that there are techniques in Kenpo he doesn't really care for"

IMO art for art's sake is great. The longer I train, the less patient I become with practicing stuff that doesn't make sense. Its been a little project of mine to identify the stuff that doesn't make sense, find an explaination for it and keep it/drop it as necessary. That's how I came across the U punch application.

Just remember to bend your knees and drop your head as you step in and block up. It helps to save your head if the block is a little slow ;-)

Let me know how it goes.

BTW, its a good sign your instructor is up front about art preservation and what he likes/doesn't like.

Mark

, but that doesn't mean that someone else can't use a technique he teaches adequately. I'll definitely keep in mind what you suggested for class though.

The U-punch appears in a pretty standard karate kata: Bassai-Dai.

As a double punch I don't think it has much merit (although I've had a brown belt try it on me during point sparring!). I've seen good applications for the kata movement, but they are where the hands end up in a U-punch type position, but it wasn't a U-punch that got them there. Waaaaaay too hard to get across using words!

It is interesting that this U - punch isnt really taught in the kenpo that I know.However there is an application to one of the forms that I have seen other branches of the family use as a U punch, but the way I learned it was as teo palm heel strikes followed bt tiger claws( yes, tiger claws)

THe application is this. A guy grabs you with both hands and pulls you towards him. you step forward and palm heel strike him under the chin and into the groin, then rip with the tiger claws into his face and groin, while sweeping out his lead leg with the leg you have stepped forward with. Extra credit for trying to bounce his head off the ground.

It can be used to set a throw too.

I use it to throw my Hado Ken.