Khabib vs Holloway = Danger for the UFC

sgotwalks -
Jake Thomas -

the great thing about an interim belt, is its just a place holder. it has no real significance. therefore, if holloway and khabib make weight and this fight is the real belt, as they say, fergusons placeholder is removed and conor gets stripped for inactivity, his boxing match doesnt count as it has no bearing on his UFC belt, and the problem is fixed. 

if holloway wins this fight, he becomes a legend. first, he has to be the first person to beat khabib. becomes the second person to hold 2 belts at once and the only person to hold 2 belts at once and actually have defended a belt. the fact that we all know he is or was injured a month ago, and appears to be limping in an airport video, would make his story even more impressive. he's already beaten a former 155lb champ, already beaten a legendary 145lb champ and he's on a 12 fight win streak.

I dont care about his weight because he's the 145lb champ. if he cant make 155 on short notice, then 145 is too small for him, even with a camp. i literally just lost over 12 lbs in a week, not cutting, with very little exercise, from cleaning up my diet. So, if Holloway, is really working to lose the weight, it shouldnt be much of a problem on 6 days. will he be miserable? yes, but he can do it.

having said all of that, i still think khabib wins. max will need to finish khabib in the opening minute of one of the five rounds, before khabib closes the distance and rag dolls him.

That's a great post, but does the UFC have the balls to outright strip Conor of his belt?

i think its the best thing the UFC can do for the entire promotion. Whether they have the balls is a completely different story.

“3- Max holloway is a real G for taking this fight but doesnt need it & also why his management should have held him back from it.”

Why? This is the best thing for Max, providing the fight doesn’t cause further injury. He prob got paid a boatload of cash for saving the card and it’s win/win. He win’s he’s a dual champ. He loses he made a ton of money, can say he fought a beast on short notice and a weight class up, and then go on to defend his 145 belt.

Bivabiva -

No-one with an once of critical thought sees this as anything other than a complete fucking mess of a disaster. Not even the WBA in boxing have things THIS fucked up.

I don't know about that the WBA is a fucking shit house. As you probably know their "real" champion is called a Super champ regardless of weight class so for instance their super middleweight champ George Groves is the WBA Super Super Middleweighr champion of the world. But what's worse is they have their #1 contenders wearing belts that they call the "regular" world champion which is misleading as get out because it makes you think they're officially a world champion when they are in fact.....not. Many times guys get credit for being multi weight champs when in fact they've only won the WBA #1 contender trinket. Then to top it off they have an "interim" world title which they hand out regardless of if their other two fucking champions are active or not. Sanctioning fees my friend,sanctioning fees....

Anyone who thinks the UFC's lightweight title scenario is a huge mess hasn't tried to wrap their head around boxing in a long time. FUCK the WBA! In my opinion the IBF is the most credible sanctioning body at least they enforce their mandatories.

jpm995 - 

Max has the 'old school' thinking about fighting. Just fight. Against anyone, anytime. It may not be the best career wise but it's debateable. In this day and age of cherry picking opponents, needing 6 months to prep for a specific opponent, and cutting 3 weight classes its refreshing to see fighters like Max. He does have a shot here, he's an underdog but has a legit shot.

Forget about the camp and peaking, which ARE needed to fight top guys… it’s about the WEIGHT CUT. Way too drastic on such a short notice.

FrontBroRian - "3- Max holloway is a real G for taking this fight but doesnt need it & also why his management should have held him back from it."

Why? This is the best thing for Max, providing the fight doesn’t cause further injury. He prob got paid a boatload of cash for saving the card and it’s win/win. He win’s he’s a dual champ. He loses he made a ton of money, can say he fought a beast on short notice and a weight class up, and then go on to defend his 145 belt.

Every fight comes with a physical cost in the fight and prep… I’ve seen khabib put some guys away so I’m not saying he can’t do damage but if you survive the amount of shot Mike Jonson or junior did in thier fights with him and walk away on your own power it says something about his gnp

Effective yes but not lethal…

Swap him out with a guy like Rory McDonald or even a lighter weight jz cavalcante and you are looking at a fatality after 20 unanswered shots on the mat

Not to say it’s any better because long term making it through the 300 punches and losing a 5 round decision could be worse for a career…

Check out !omachenko vs riggos recent fight for first class corner work with Pedro Diaz stopping him riggos from taking even 1 more shot than needed when clear he was outclassed.

Mma is still young so there are still remenants of the " let me scrap bro" generation kicking around but it can’t last… especially with the new owners they don’t have the fight game iq and people skills the fertittas had so you’ll see more fighters doing the right thing career wise as thing go 1000 percent mainstream

Money’s good but max was making bank anyway although if I got 15 million to fight Saturday I’d be there too lol so I get it but for the sport it’s a bad prescecent worse than gsp vs bisping

Again great for the guys I love seeing a guy like bisping who’s fought em all finally get some dkubke digit millions pagday but taking emotion out you don’t do that to belt I

Hjerarchy…

But what do I know I ain’t fighter. Never been a fighter and don’t know much about fighting :slight_smile:

thats what ive been saying the titles don’t mean shit

if you can get paid without being champ why the fuck would you give a shit about a title?

why would conor give a damn about defending his title instead of making 100 mil to fight floyd?

titles are propoganda anyway

So your big revelation is what 99% of people have said on 99% of the ug threads in the last week? Your really going out on a limb there

I am afraid this may end up like Miocic vs Hunt. An unwatchable beat down of a guy who has too much heart to quit.

Your post was unusually difficult to understand for the average uger.

full retard indeed

I’m worried about Max. He’s very admirable, brave and everything we should want as fight fans. Holloway saved this event no doubt, but at what cost? It’d be awesome if he can pull it off on short notice. Khabib is coming on a full camp though…

Lights Out Lurker - 
CRE - I'm worried about Max. He's very admirable, brave and everything we should want as fight fans. Holloway saved this event no doubt, but at what cost? It'd be awesome if he can pull it off on short notice. Khabib is coming on a full camp though..

I'm worried for Khabib..... Max is going into this basically without training, like a street fight. If you put Khabib and Max in a street fight with no preparation, I'm taking Max. 

I like that take. Don’t disagree.

Lights Out Lurker -
CRE - I'm worried about Max. He's very admirable, brave and everything we should want as fight fans. Holloway saved this event no doubt, but at what cost? It'd be awesome if he can pull it off on short notice. Khabib is coming on a full camp though..

I'm worried for Khabib..... Max is going into this basically without training, like a street fight. If you put Khabib and Max in a street fight with no preparation, I'm taking Max. 

i take khabib in a streetfight. he's always got a bug crew with him.

Son of Neckbone - Win or lose, Max is a badass for stepping up.

Everyone is talking about how this is lose-lose for Max, but I disagree.

He CAN win, probably won’t, but if he does being a 2 division champion puts him in rare air and his marketability skyrockets.

If he loses, he still has his title, largely untarnished with a loss to someone above his weight class, greater name recognition, and the good graces of the UFC. He also will likely not get damaged too badly from the hugs and suplays, and be able to defend against T City in the near future.

Props to Max for sacking up.

I have no idea why you suppose that, if he loses, max probably won’t take much damage? I think the only drawback in this fight for max is that he’s likely to lose avd not be KO’d or Sub’d. He’s likely to take a 5 round beating or it’ll be stopped when he’s just too hard to look at. Either way, that’s not good for his health, career or immediate fighting prospects. 

Now, if he wins...oh man. What a win 

Lights Out Lurker -

Lol. Yea, cuz street fights never end up on the ground. Or are you talking about the type of street fights where your boys pull him off you every time it goes to the ground and makes everyone stand up?