Knuckles Wants Costa at 299

Robert Whittaker will fight Paulo Costa on March 9th at UFC 299 … if Costa is willing to sign the contract.

That’s according to Whittaker’s manager Titus Day, who is applying a bit of pressure to “Borrachinha” through the press. The Australian middleweight has fought just once this year — a disappointing second round TKO loss to Dricus Du Plessis — but he’s hoping to make his return in March 2024. He just needs a dance partner.

“March 9 is the date Rob wants to fight, and he’ll fight anyone,” Day said to the Daily Telegraph. “He said he’d fight Costa, but now Costa’s saying he wants to fight (Khamzat) Chimaev. But Chimaev’s injured, and Costa knows that – he knows Chimaev can’t fight – so he’s just playing games I think.”
Day’s words are backed up by a recent video from Costa where he calls for a fight with Chimaev in Saudi Arabia. The UFC’s first event in the country is set for the end of Riyadh Season on March 2nd. While the show is currently listed as a generic Fight Night, it will take place at the 40,000 seat Kingdom Arena and we have no doubt the UFC will be stacking it with some massive fights.

Chimaev vs. Costa certainly applies … if Chimaev is healthy enough to fight. The Chechen fighter has an injured ligament in his hand, and is set to undergo surgery any day now. Until that happens, it’s premature to say he wouldn’t be ready for March.
If Paulo Costa does fight Khamzat Chimaev, Robert Whittaker is happy to move on. It’s a bit of slim pickings at the top of the middleweight division right now.

“Rob’s ready to go and he’ll fight anybody,” Day said. “But in the top 10, there’s only Costa and Brendan Allen that could fight. Everyone else is either booked or injured, so that’s where we’re at.”

Allen is a surging 27-year-old on a 7-fight win streak, but he doesn’t have a fraction of the star power Paulo Costa does. So it’s clear what Team Whittaker wants to happen.

“Costa said he wanted it, so sign the contract, buddy.”

Costa vs Chimaev would be a cool live card to attend. They could have a coral with unicorn rides during intermission & a booth/mat area for an opportunity to tap Rickson Gracie at $50 a roll.

1 Like

Yeah sure, Costa misses weight or dies trying, and isnt getting younger, we will see him less frequently…

Robby works him!

He’s one of those guys I wish we’d have seen more often. His first UFC fight was in March of 2017. He’s fought only 8 times in his almost 7 years on the roster.

2 Likes

He should be a pro bodybuilder, not a fighter. Perfect genetics for the stage, no homo.

Ok yes homo.

1 Like

No Way Kg GIF by SHOWTIME Sports
the last time Robby fought he forgot how to jab or punch lol… bizarre fight, wont bet on Robby

Doesn’t sound like there is a contract for Costa to sign

I’d rather see Costa vs Chimaev, but whatever. Just fight dammit!

Ya, but I want to see him in the octagon, not oiled up and wearing a banana hammock as he flexes his muscles on a stage.

Hmm…on second thought, that actually doesnt sound too bad…

No homo

Cracking Up Lol GIF