Krav Maga or Jiu Jitsu?

i hate you - As many commandos as possible.

I am going to become a police officer when I finish my degree. I also hang out in a lot of bars where it seems that even if a fight starts one on one it always ends with someone else jumping in.

I really question someone who has the screen name "i hate you" and chooses to hang out a lot in bars, and plans to be in numerous fights at those bars. It doesnt sound like you have the character to become a police officer

A taser is your best friend, but that was not the question. Taking a subject to the ground is the best way not to get sued in LE. Striking to the facial area is a dilemna. If there is no other option and you feel that your life or someone else's is endangered you do whatever to survive. Develop a solid leg kick which is an approved striking zone.Do not fuck someone up just to do it. If you are proactive, you will get that chance naturally. Stay in shape, stay sane.

Brian123 - I've taken both, and recommend both.

Krav Maga will incorporate weapons and striking, which you will not get from BJJ. A good Krav instructor should incorporate ground fighting (see BJJ) as well. There is no real utility in getting much beyond basic body control. I'd argue wrestling would be better for a "real" street fight than BJJ.

Krav drills basic techniques over and over with the idea being you act on instinct rather than thought. Do maximum damage, disable the opponent, and get out.

But yeah purely on the weapons and striking aspect, don't skip the Krav. You don't EVER want the fight to go to the ground in a non-ring environment. You're just asking to get stomped/shanked/etc by another attacker. The goal of most Krav groundwork is to get the fuck up to your feet as fast as possible however necessary (groin strikes are huge). The concept of arm barrinng someone in life/death situation is absolutely retarded.

This...

disbeliever - Train real Krav if you want to train Krav at all.

...and this.

For law enforcement and "self defense"

www.isrmatrix.org

The whole which art is better question has been around forever. The idea that"this art is better against multiple attackers" IS COMPLETE BULLSHIT!

The only way you can beat MULTIPLE attckers is if you can trash guys in a matter of seconds! And on to the next guy ad-nauseum.

I ask you this; when has this EVER BEEN DONE BY ANY OF THESE SHITTY SELF DEFENSE SYSTEMS?

You put a Krav guy in a fight and the ONLY way the multiple attacker argument holds water is if he could demolish a guy in just a few seconds.

It doesn't happen that way, has NEVER been done in reality and is just TMA marketing generation 2.0

If you want to fight then you basically have to train in the 4 disciplines that WORK- BJJ, wrestling, Muay Thai, and boxing. there really isn't anything else out there that has held its weight.

shootojkd - For law enforcement and "self defense"

www.isrmatrix.org

THIS!

In my experience at Krav Maga and JKD schools, a good JKD school is like Krav Maga AND MMA all in one program.

lol @ the lame biting/gouging excuses.  so 1996.  only idiots who have never stepped on a mat with a skilled partner say stupid shit like that.

IMO, you would be better off learning how to fistfight with MMA training and tailor what you learn to your own style.  the originator of Krav Maga, a Jewish boxer/wrestler did the same thing.

if you can find a good Krav place too, it would be great way to sharpen the weapons and tactics training a cop would need

but a ton of Krav Maga in America seems to be bullshit.  all you ever hear is the same 'special forces/military training' that is 'too hardcore for the streets' shit that every McDojo likes to use too.  whatever Krav place you visit, if they don't have live sparring/training they are not teaching real Krav

How about becoming something that actually helps this country instead of making it worse, become a teacher,not another useless waste of money working for law enforcement.

There are programs out there, that are geared for law enforcement only. They teach what you're probably going to encounter on the streets.

I hear good things about PCR with Ken Good

BJJ

if i had to choose between the two i would choose, kung fu

ajl416az - lol @ the lame biting/gouging excuses.  so 1996.  only idiots who have never stepped on a mat with a skilled partner say stupid shit like that.

IMO, you would be better off learning how to fistfight with MMA training and tailor what you learn to your own style.  the originator of Krav Maga, a Jewish boxer/wrestler did the same thing.
if you can find a good Krav place too, it would be great way to sharpen the weapons and tactics training a cop would need
but a ton of Krav Maga in America seems to be bullshit.  all you ever hear is the same 'special forces/military training' that is 'too hardcore for the streets' shit that every McDojo likes to use too.  whatever Krav place you visit, if they don't have live sparring/training they are not teaching real Krav

If you can find a good Krav Maga school it's a great training experience. Very fast past, very intense, very demanding. It's great.

JOEjitsu! As was made famous on NewsRadio.

Go for the Boxing/Judo combo.

Man you can only chose one then I would sure go for Monkey Style Kung Fu for real world combat. If can Monkey...no can defend.

Monkey Kung Fu.

Nobody will even come close to you if you start busting that shit out!

BELEE DAT!

If they keep attacking, you can just crap your pants, which you will probably do anyway, and just sling that at your attacker.

Nobody fights through poo. Nobody.

DT Instructor too.

Get really good at BJJ/Judo basics. Practice takedown defense...

A good, can be hard to find, JKD school can teach you some good real world self defense stuff like knee stomps, groin shots, shin rakes, straight wing chun style punches, side kicks, etc...

Also learn some MT leg kicks, knees, and some boxing basics..I like open palms for the street..

Your best defensive tactic as a police officer, and probably in the real world, is your physical presence and your mouth. Many situations can be avoided if you say the right things or make the person think you can kick his ass if you have to.