Kyle Dake - United States freestyle wrestler

ITHACA, N.Y. — Kyle Dake has a memory with his grandfather from years ago. He was 6, maybe 7, and his grandfather, Bob, was a wrestling coach at Lansing High School. Kyle always tagged along for practice, so Bob decided to put him to work.

Bob Dake sometimes brought oranges to give his wrestlers after their workouts. Kyle was charged with peeling them. When practice ended, he watched the high-schoolers swarm to the oranges.

“It was such a small reward, but the guys thought they were the best oranges in the world,” Kyle Dake says now. “I did, too. I was like, ‘Grandpa, you find the best oranges.’

“I’d ask him where he got them, but he never told me. He’d say, ‘It’s a secret. Maybe when you’re older, I’ll tell you.’”

American wrestler Kyle Dake will compete at the Tokyo Olympics in freestyle

Bob Dake was the founding father of Lansing wrestling. He started the high school program in 1963 and coached on and off for nearly four decades. His son, Doug, also coached after becoming a collegiate All-American. Together, they instilled a passion in Kyle, who used those lessons to author his own sensational wrestling career.

The next chapter will be written over the next few days in Tokyo, at the Olympic Games. Kyle Dake is a member of the U.S. men’s freestyle team, and is considered a gold-medal contender at 74 kilograms (163 pounds). He’ll open the Olympic tournament Thursday.

1 Like

Wellllllll……… did he ever find out where Gramps was getting the Oranges from?

7 Likes

1 Like

I hope he wins. I recently moved out of ithaca and I miss it a lot. Dake is a hero there.

Not a fan of Dake as a person. Huge fan of his ability and especially his positional acumen. A genuinely great wrestler worthy of an Olympic title. Great weight class. Winning it would be huge.

Why?

I watched the documentary of him and Taylor on Flo and it was pretty sus

Show me the fucking oranges already, damn gramps

He’s annoying. Generally not well-liked. No huge reasons for not liking him beyond that.

Hoping for a bronze medal at this point. Can’t believe he was blanked by Belarus.

1 Like

When’s his next match? I was shocked with the last one.

How can a guy who wins a world championship without being scored on get tech-fall’d two matches into the tourney?

9:00 central

1 Like

Wrestlers come up fast. Look what Gable did to the 2016 Olympic gold medalist. Also, international wrestling doesn’t seed based on ability.

4 Likes

Ive heard Dake is a dick irl from a cornell wrestler

not sure if dake a dick or not but been a fan since he was in HS …Hope he gets the bronze I will root for every American

So if Gable doesn’t get scored on he will have repeated Dan gable’s 1972 performance. Crazy.

4 Likes

Got teched and then teched a guy in his next match to get into the bronze match(s). What a roller coaster

I went to Cornell and know a bunch of wrestlers and this isn’t what I’ve heard

1 Like

#JustGableThings

If you saw him in the qualifiers for the Olympics you wouldn’t be surprised about the outcome. He ran through everyone. He’s Russian but competing for Belarus.