Lasting Brain Damage After One Concussion?

3D MR images reveal some patients show signs of lasting structural damage to the brain after sustaining just one concussion, according to a study in the journal Radiology.

Mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI), or concussions, make up at least 75 percent of all traumatic brain injuries, and while it is known that brain atrophy occurs after moderate or severe brain injury, not much is known about MTBI and long-term damage.

To address this issue, researchers from NYU Langone School of Medicine investigated the changes in global and regional brain volume in patients one year after sustaining a concussion. Twenty-eight patients with one MTBI (19 patients at one year) and 22 matched controls (12 at one year) underwent 3D MRI.

By evaluating regional gray matter and white matter volumes, correlated with other clinical and cognitive measurements, the researchers found that one year after concussion, there was measurable global and regional brain atrophy in the patients who had MTBI.

"Two of the brain regions affected were the anterior cingulate and the precuneal region," Yvonne W. Lui, MD, neuroradiology section chief and assistant professor at the medical school, said in a release. "The anterior cingulate has been implicated in mood disorders including depression, and the precuneal region has a lot of different connections to areas of the brain responsible for executive function or higher order thinking."

Lui cautions that these results are general and not meant to be patients specific. Further study needs to be done to investigate the long-term effects of concussions. Phone Post

http://www.diagnosticimaging.com/mri/3d-mri-shows-lasting-brain-damage-after-one-concussion Phone Post

It's definately a concern of mine when training. That's why I would never want to be one of these guys who has no real chance of making it in boxing or MMA that goes out and bangs in these small shows for a couple hundred bucks. Too much risk, for too little reward.

Whambo - It's definately a concern of mine when training. That's why I would never want to be one of these guys who has no real chance of making it in boxing or MMA that goes out and bangs in these small shows for a couple hundred bucks. Too much risk, for too little reward.

The problem is almost NO ONE understands the risk that they are putting themselves in!

I tell my guys that in other sports the level of risk is in conjunction with the level youre playing at. Park and rec hockey doesnt hold the same risk as the nhl...
... But any bumb fuck back yard MMA show will fuck you up, break your jaw... break your orbital... blow out your joints and KO/concuss you THE SAME as if your fighting for a UFC belt! Actually probably worse because most small shows miss match like a mofo or feed cans to guys they're padding...
... so make DAMN SURE you really want to fight!

Mix6APlix - I've had numerous potatoes. My head is potato and good.

Nice. Phone Post

Primary reason they need to crack down on PEDs. This is serious shit. Phone Post

redplayer50 - ye its possible but whatever u can live ur life in a bubble inside a secure basement or u can go out and do nunchuks and backflip and explore the world

I agree to an extent.

I posted this because I think this demonstrates to the fans that every fighter is risking their health with every fight. A little respect is earned even for the lay n pray contingent.

I hate to see fighters who keep getting knocked down or knocked out continue fighting.

I like Frankie Edgar but the way he continually takes a beating is going to leave him retarded before he is fifty years old. Phone Post

We'll I'm fucked Phone Post

I went this week for my first cat scan for the same reason I've had trauma to head numerous times I'm 56 and retired still bang and roll but not to head lol

That would explain half the threads that created around here. Phone Post

Yeah, all this stuff scares me after years of abuse I've allowed myself to take.

The drugs in college didn't help either.

PhallicObjekt - That would explain half the threads that created around here. Phone Post

Boom! Phone Post

Right at a dozen concussions here, amongst a veritible shit-ton of damage to my body.

Tons and tons of drugs back in the eighties and early nineties.  No needles, but every party drug we could get our hands on.

I'll be 49-years old this summer.

I expect to start drooling on myself soon.