"Lee Hammond" in TUF latest season?

It’s easier to assume the dude reads this forum as most fighters do so, yeah.
This is not a knock or criticism, just a series of interesting observations.

With that being acknowledged, being a Conor McGregor fan myself I was curious to see how one of his team mates would get on.

1st - the weigh ins. Clearly he lacked the confrontationalism/grit of McGregor, as he wasn’t comfortable in the stare down, then smiled his way out of it.

Not that him not smiling would have made a difference. It was just indicative of his “emotional strength”, if you will - and therefore how his nerves hold up and perform under pressure.

2nd - he was FAR more talented than his opponent. Very slick on the ground. Not wonderful punching technique or power but still better than his opponent, Lovely looking Muay Thai knees.

3rd - he gave up. At the end of round one he was done. He’s nerves got the better of him and he got super tired. And his body basically bottomed out and his opponent capitalized on that.

My appraisal, you can train 24/7 in the gym, be slick as can be, but without that emotional strength, he’s always going to have ceiling on what he can achieve.

In contrast to McGregor, as Dana White said, “if this guy can throw a punch, he’ll be a mega star”. He has emotional fire-power for days.
And in his film, emphasized that was what brought him to the sport in the first place, a means to learn how to manage those difficult emotions.

As Paul Newman (playing Fast Eddie Felson) said:

“Talent excellence is not about excellent talent… it’s about becoming something” (referring to emotional development).

He did better than I expected, against a legit vet and the eventual winner of the show, Kurt Holobough. I expected him to get a shot over some other losers like Carlos Vera or Landon Quinones. Apparently he got knocked out in his only fight since the show, so I guess that makes sense.

1 Like

Could be.

This was the only footage I could see on youtube of it:

Basically looks like the same type of fight, compressed.

Winning, then got tired and lost.

But from what I saw on the TUF fight, boxing was okay, slick in other areas, definitely slick on the ground, but it was his NERVES that beat him, without any kind of doubt.

This

Lee was pretty green, having fought mostly regional guys, no? To see what he did there was very impressive and I was struck right away with the level of skill he was displaying. If he’s working on his craft then he will show mental growth. Hopefully he sticks to it and we see him in the UFC some time.

Damn I didn’t realize he’s only fought once since and got knocked out.

That sucks. Dude is talented.

Having watched episode 11, this Kurt dude is for real.

Excellent boxing for mma.

And how relatively easy Hammond made it look, but I maintain his nerve bottomed out on him.

Watching that fight he had since basically re-affirms that.

1 Like

Sorry dude. I shouldn’t have spoiled it.